My knock noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My knock noise

So my car recently started knocking under low RPM high load situations. (like any nok right?). It was right when i switch to that thick ass mobil oil.

So 1200 miles went by and I just changed it back to castrol 10w-30. I am still getting this knock sound.

Should I back off the timing a little bit? Pretty sure i am at like 21-22.

If it is in fact what i fear, a rod bearing or main bearing, could i theoretically slap some knew ones in there before the bearings get worse and eat into the crank? With out extensive dissasemble that is....

It seems like a bad idea to me, but I am poor and if i can prevent the engine from eating itself, than cool.

Is an oil cooler in my near future?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Hey man,

First off what exact kind of Mobil oil where you running? I've never run anything but their Full synthetic. 5W-30 Mobil-1 in my Nissan engines runs like a swiss watch. Any oil expert or engineer that's worth his salt will tell you that said oil has such a high detergency that you shouldn't even consider any oil additives. They keep labeling the bottles with all these sales pitches about extended performance and blah, blah so I'm just gonna switch to Castrol Syntec which can be had @ Wally world(wal-mart) for $21& change per 5quart bottle where the Mobil-1 is now $26-29.

I can tell you from years of Family experience that Castrol GTX is great stuff for standard oil, it's never been like the old School Penzoil and Quaker state garbage(new pure base formula my ass).

Anyway not trying to go into an oil disertation but ya need to know.

IMVHO ANY 4-stroke engine running substantial boost should be running a well designed oil cooler....PERIOD> Heat kills with anything...engines, auto tranies etc. It's proven that an oil cooler will increase engine(Often substantially) life but I must emphasis the *Well designed* part.

The oil capacity is pathetic (as I said in my cooling thread here) in the VG engines and I'd HIGHLy reco an oil filter relocation kit to increase your oil volume. Running full synthetic would be nice if you can afford it later but an Oil Cooler is where you need to invest your money now.

So what octane are you running and do you generally by your gas from the same place? I've had family members get funked by shiester gas stations. I don't make assumptions relative to how funky the gas station looks though as I buy all my gas from this dude with a horrible looking place but he's top shelf.
    Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

nah, i went from castrol syntec 10w-30 to that mobil 1 15w-50 then back to castrol syntech 10w-30. I really like the castrol stuff.

I have the stock oil cooler, guess i just need to mount it and run an adapter plate for the filter.

Comment

Well, i backed the timing off and it seems to have helped. And i got some backfires back :twisted:

I am thinking I may have set it to 25 instead of 20 last time :lol:

Comment

He asked what octane fuel are you running, also you probably dont want to hear this but your current intercooler setup would be causing a high intake charge temp which could also be contributing to your problem.
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Not as high as the bloody charge pipe....

And i run 91

Comment

300zxt wrote: He asked what octane fuel are you running, also you probably dont want to hear this but your current intercooler setup would be causing a high intake charge temp which could also be contributing to your problem.
              why are you guys always ragging on it?

it was cheap and availible, IT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING AT ALL!

considering how stock the car is, the intercooler is not a question right now

Comment

Sometimes no intercooler's better than any intercooler. I think i remember seeing pictures of his set-up...zip ties holding the intercooler in place, right?

Comment

[quote]Andrevas wrote:
                  Originally posted by 300zxt
                  He asked what octane fuel are you running, also you probably dont want to hear this but your current intercooler setup would be causing a high intake charge temp which could also be contributing to your problem.why are you guys always ragging on it?

it was cheap and availible, IT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING AT ALL!

considering how stock the car is, the intercooler is not a question right now
                  You dont know that for a fact, the temps could be infact greater than without it and as JustinCase said having any intercooler setup is not always better than none at all...

I'd suggest to put the timing back to stock, and back the boost off a little (what are you running btw?) and leave it like that until you get your setup complete.

Comment

Stock boost.

There is no fucken way i could put my hand to the intake plenum with the charge pipe after ruff driving (try it yourself) and now with the IC Any given time the plenum is touchable :| ...

Now tell me what made it cooler.... :?

In that pic is the fab up of the intercooler....

No need to get jealous of the cheapest intercooler setup ever :wink:

And the air filter is no longer in front of the radiator, it is perfectly in front of the head light housing with cool air to it.

Comment

I dont think the "hand test" is a reliable way to compare intake temps lol But anyway at stock boost I'd just run stock timing, there's no real need to mess with it on an otherwise stock car.

Comment

lets start with timing...
                        *retarding the timing will cause a cuple things
                        1.higher EGTs from a still burning mix being shot out of the exhaust valve
                        2.lower MPG from not harnessing the full combustion energy

#1 can also be attributed with added heat absorbed by the oil, possible blowby and as you should know oil is a pro-knock additive, lower turbo life from the higher oil temps, and possibly insuffecient lubrication from the viscosity dropping at the higher temps

dont forget these higher oil temps reaching an already heat producing component will only ad to the stresses imposed, possibly effecting your charge temps that are only worsened from the radiating high EGT temps from the manifolds under the hood

YES oil coolers with proper ventilation on a turbocharged application is a no brainer, added capacity is a perk as well

you could replace all the lower bearings if you deem necissary, though it would require a good deal of work

i would suggest just sticking to stock timing like some others mentioned

Comment

I talked to a fellow car guy and he said if I had any serious Knock it would always be there.

The car no longer knocks after i retarded the timing, and i will do an oil cooler asap.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Whats wrong with a ziptied intercooler, my friend runs his intercooler in his turbo miata ziptied as do alot of other people I would imagine. As long as its secured properly it doesnt matter if its nuts and bolts or zipties. There is just not one size ziptie. I have some at work that are strong enough to hold pretty much whatever you throw at it and they are all free. 8)

Comment

Miata? Haha, too funny. I'm hoping your friend is a girl...

Comment

Working...
                              X