No announcement yet.

the ellis autoworkz intercooler answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bring the car and a blank check and we`ll get started.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
    good thing....

Comment

Sorry to "jump on the bandwagon" but i think I found a better deal on a I/C setup and will probobly be taking that route. it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to fill my spot though. Again sorry.

Comment

I guess I just dont understand what the hell is so hard about going to home depot and spending 15-20 bucks on a 3.25" hole saw and just cutting some nice holes in the fender wells? Its not like it looks bad. And it is a hell of a lot easier than trying to run the pipes over the damn radiator. Pretty much anyone who has a z31 that has been modified to the point of needing an intercooler is capable of drilling a couple holes.

I remember when I made my very first IC pipes that went over the radiator, with pulling the bumper and everything, it took forever! with the holes that I have cut in my fender wells I made my new 3" IC pipes in about 2 - 2.5 hours tacked together(full welding not included) And with them going through the fenders i'm not soaking up heat from the radiator either.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: I guess I just dont understand what the hell is so hard about going to home depot and spending 15-20 bucks on a 3.25" hole saw and just cutting some nice holes in the fender wells? Its not like it looks bad. And it is a hell of a lot easier than trying to run the pipes over the damn radiator. Pretty much anyone who has a z31 that has been modified to the point of needing an intercooler is capable of drilling a couple holes.
          I remember when I made my very first IC pipes that went over the radiator, with pulling the bumper and everything, it took forever! with the holes that I have cut in my fender wells I made my new 3" IC pipes in about 2 - 2.5 hours tacked together(full welding not included) And with them going through the fenders i'm not soaking up heat from the radiator either.
          Yeah the TMIC Skylines have a hole thru the fender anyway, at least my friends imported R31 Passages do from the factory. And I share the same opinion regarding the intercooling piping, not only for heat soak but for looks. I think that it looks very mickey mouse going up over the radiator like that not to mention the intercooler is upside down lol
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Does this IC pipe look Mickey Mouse over the radiator?

[/img]
            Shiro #443

Comment

Nope, congratulations you are one of the few. Now, just make a kit like that, because it looks like you have retained damn near everything stock. Fan, AC, stock tb location.

Damn! thats an old picture huh? I think I remember seeing that years ago! Looks Awsome! I still dont like the idea of the radiator heating up the IC pipe. Where is the hot pipe routed? Underneith or somthing?

Comment

I agree that does look alot better than some I've seen, but as SATAN said heatsoak could still be an issue there I think. I think that more kits would sell if the A/C was retained too, not alot of people want to make the step in removing the A/C for the sake of the intercooler. I'm not one of those people but alot of others are...

Comment

having a car without AC was one of the worst mistakes that I've ever made. I've never removed it myself, but bought cars without it... In Atlanta, you'll end up smelling like a goat :evil:
                  vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                  2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

I honestly wonder how much the radiator would heat up the pipe? I'm also thinking about all the heat that the fans blowing back into the engine bay... is it really that much of a problem? Or are you concerned more for that extra little bit?

Comment

I feel the same way about the heatsoak. As fast as the air moves through the pipes which have a low surface area I don't think it's going to make any noticeable difference.

The main reason we are doing the pipes the way we are is because some people just dont want to put holes in their frame. The only thing that gets cut in the entire install process is the actual pumper support which is easily replaced.

Comment

Stinky wrote: I feel the same way about the heatsoak. As fast as the air moves through the pipes which have a low surface area I don't think it's going to make any noticeable difference.

The main reason we are doing the pipes the way we are is because some people just dont want to put holes in their frame. The only thing that gets cut in the entire install process is the actual pumper support which is easily replaced.
                        Thats like saying that jasons phenolic spacer wont work because the air moves through the plenum too fast.

Comment

It could be that any improvements are simply from a longer runner... but then again, it's seriously changing the way the coolant routes and dropping the temps a significant amount. The pipes have to near the rad, and run through the engine bay any way that you want to do it...

The spearco kits ran the same way, yet they were regarded as the best kit for the car...

I've had my pipes running right over and around the rad while boosting 12-15psi on the t3, and the car overheating (turbo radiator wasn't enough for the vg33 + boost), and the pipes never seemed to be overly warm.

Comment

The spearco kits ran the same way, yet they were regarded as the best kit for the car...
                            Yeah try the only kit, besides HKS which were harder to find.

I've had my pipes running right over and around the rad while boosting 12-15psi on the t3, and the car overheating (turbo radiator wasn't enough for the vg33 + boost), and the pipes never seemed to be overly warm.
                            You can't effectively measure the intake temps just by touching the piping and I've been using the stock turbo radiator at those boost levels and more mods without a problem! I doubt that .3 more displacement would make that much difference :P

Comment

SATAN wrote: I guess I just dont understand what the hell is so hard about going to home depot and spending 15-20 bucks on a 3.25" hole saw and just cutting some nice holes in the fender wells? Its not like it looks bad. And it is a hell of a lot easier than trying to run the pipes over the damn radiator. Pretty much anyone who has a z31 that has been modified to the point of needing an intercooler is capable of drilling a couple holes.

it`s not hard, it`s a hell of a lot eaiser, just longer pipes and some people don`t want to cut holes. whatever, they`re paying. mine, bemis, fishe, they all go through the fender well.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                              good thing....

Comment

Yeah, but having boost just off-idle, and anytime you're barely trying to accelerate the car..

Comment

Working...
                                X