No announcement yet.

the ellis autoworkz intercooler answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant lines are ran to the throttle body for 1 of 2 reasons.

1) To prevent throttle plate ice up. Yes it may be a rare occurance, but one most manufactures were worried about

2) To cool the throttle body when the EGR is active. Some manufactures (circa Ford) had the EGR routed to the throttle body. The coolant was needed to keep the throttle body temperatures down.
    ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: Coolant lines are ran to the throttle body for 1 of 2 reasons.

1) To prevent throttle plate ice up. Yes it may be a rare occurance, but one most manufactures were worried about

2) To cool the throttle body when the EGR is active. Some manufactures (circa Ford) had the EGR routed to the throttle body. The coolant was needed to keep the throttle body temperatures down.
      ahh, and yet another explination. It appears I was wrong about the throttle body. It just seems pretty unlikley that it would ice up. But like G-E more or less said, why would manufactures even take a chance? That makes sence.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Now the lower intake has a complete water chamber that flows through the entire thing. That can probably hold about a quart of water. That is there to keep intake temps warm to atomize fuel. And if you think that is wrong then you are sadly mistaken.
        I'm tempted to disagree with that. I pretty sure the water passages are there to allow coolant to flow through the heads. After all the waterneck is bolted to the front of the lower intake. I'm also very skeptical about needing the heat to atomize the fuel. While it probably would help a tiny bit I dont think that's why the intake is designed as it is. Back in the carburator days you had fuel running through the entire intake and you had to worry about pooling. The fuel barely touches the lower intake in the vg30. Also, newer motors like the vh45 and i'm sure plenty others have no coolant passages anywhere on the intake other than the tb and idle controls. If atomization was such a concern then I would have expected them to incorporate coolant into the intake. And another thing, why go to the trouble to find a cool source of intake air for the filter if all you are planning on doing is warming it up again. I think the lower intake design is simply a product of the coolant system flow. Maybe what we really need is a new lower intake that seperates the coolant and air systems so the entire intake is kept cool.

Comment

I agree with a new lower intake!

Doesn't our injection system dump 1/2 the fuel per crank rotation? So half the fuel is sitting on top of the valve? It never really made enough sense to me, but hey, I'm not an engineer.
          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

This is just one example of what I am talking about. This a quote from the web site grape ape racing that I posted up a while ago.

"Most production manifolds will have some
            sort of exhaust or coolant passage in it to heat the
            intake. This helps fuel atomization, but hurts topend
            power. Cooler air is denser and denser air
            makes more power. Any kind of performance
            engine should not use manifold heat. Manifold heat
            does help low-end and fuel mileage by aiding in a
            more efficient burn."

I'm done trying to convince non believers after this. The info is out there if you care to know. I did care to know and I am just trying to share my knowledge. So if you dont believe well, dont know what to tell you.

Comment

grahfz wrote: I agree with a new lower intake!

Doesn't our injection system dump 1/2 the fuel per crank rotation? So half the fuel is sitting on top of the valve? It never really made enough sense to me, but hey, I'm not an engineer.
              well, why do you think that it is sitting on the valve? OR is it hitting the hot valve and then vaporizing even further than the injectors can vaporize it AND THEN going into the combustion chamber. :wink:

Comment

^^^ What he said

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Injectors dont vaporize fuel. Injectors atomize fuel.
                  ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: Injectors dont vaporize fuel. Injectors atomize fuel.
                    Sorry, you are correct. I believe that is what I meant to say, as that is what I have been talking about earlier in the thread. I dont know where vaporizing came from. :shock:

Comment

I have complete faith in the fact that you knew that. I just wanted to clear it up because it seems a lot of people dont understand that difference between atomization and vaporization and why each is required for combustion to occur.

Comment

Working...
                      X