the ellis autoworkz intercooler answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the ellis autoworkz intercooler answer

we have been wanting to design a set up that requires no fenderwell cutting are any other sheet metal for that matter, while still fitting the biggest i/c in front. has to look clean, use the stock afm pipes in their stock locations and the turbo outlet remains in stock clocked position and ac had to stay intact. this way, we have "our" i/c setup, while at this time it`s still one off, we know exactly what to use (i/c, silicone, pipes, etc) and cost. an extra benefit is the pipes are as short as i think they can possibly be with a fmic and stock rad.

a customer made us try, he`s got a rusty ass ae that he didn`t want any sheet metal cut on. here is what we have so far. still waiting on a 2"-2.5" 90* elbow for the turbo hot side.
    [img]a href=[/img]
    we retaintained his a/c however his condensor fan had to go
    [img]a href=[/img]
    this is before the grill went in, yes it fits perfectly
    [img]a href=[/img]
    stinky has a pic of the pipes on the i/c before the bumper went on. maybe he`ll post them up. he welded the pipes to the i/c. yes, to remove the i/c you have to remove the bumper cover and the support to get it off. i like the least amount of couplers, less that can blow off!
    [img]a href=[/img]
    the hot side actully snakes under the stock afm piping, we are waiting for the last coupler to see if that`s going to work yet...

we havn`t figured out what to do if the customer has the stock fan. i have an idea however. we`ll find out when rob brings his car in for one of these. i realise we arn`t the first to think about going over the rad, we actually looked at jason`s i/c page to get some ideas. we were trying to come up with the best "most oem shit still installed, customer friendly" i/c set up

i know you like it rob...

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
    good thing....

I like how clean that is coming out. Great Job!
    *I'd love to see someone lay a string to the piping and understand the lengths you're running on the hot and cold side...curiousity kills me.

From what I gather, this is piped with 2.5" and the I/C utilizes 2.5" inlets/outlets.

I had the same scenario of guidlines with this latest job I'm doing.
    I ended up using a Treadstone core with same side in/out and a very similiar routing that you have done.
    It is difficult to tell the differences in the i/c core size because what my application was, is a '87t bumper style, and you guys a fabbing up on a '84-86t bumper style.
    I am here to help...

Comment

you're so cool :wink:
      [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
      [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
      2000 Porsche Boxster
      2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Nice, are you going to be producing kits?

Comment

well, since i just got my turbo set-up from the junkyard, i'll be intercooling it as well. i'll look forward to seeing how it turns out. i will hopefully be ready for everything this summer. i'm going to pull the motor when i do my conversion.

Comment

dan, yes they are 2.5 pipes and the i/c has 2.5 inlet and outlet.

kit`s, um probably not, unless there was ALOT of interest and money up front.

even though we streamlined the install as much as possible, found a very good source for i/c, pipes, bov, etc, then all the cut and welding that`s involved, it`s still quite expensive relative to a pre-made s13 i/c kit.

good thing....

Comment

who makes that intercooler? i like the set up. i'll probably hide my pipes a lot more though. i don't like to let people know what they are up against.

Comment

Very nice work.
                Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

That looks very similar to a setup I did. I need to upload some updated pics of that setup, this one was the initial setup.

Chuck Stong
                  300+ Parts and Performance owner
                  http://www.300-plus.com
                  2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

that general set-up IMO is about the most efficient way to run everything. as long as you don`t have an engine fan and shroud.

good thing....

Comment

Looks really nice indeed. I too thought of routing my piping over the radiator but for now I'm still using the shroud/clutch fan. I have a hard time ditching a good working fan that robs less than .025 HP and rely on an electic unit that hasn't proven its weight in plastic yet. I do plan on eventually installing my E-Fan though, so we'll see.

Depending on what your total costs are, I think you could make a "kit" and be fairly profitable with as many Z31's still aren't intercooled. Most of the battle is the custom work involved and if you could offer an affordable (loose term, I know) IC setup, I can't imagine it not selling well.
                      Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                      tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

FlawleZ wrote: Depending on what your total costs are, I think you could make a "kit" and be fairly profitable with as many Z31's still aren't intercooled. Most of the battle is the custom work involved and if you could offer an affordable (loose term, I know) IC setup, I can't imagine it not selling well.
                        I second that!!!

Comment

I'll most certainly be in the market for a good ic setup for the SS. We're keeping the A/C priority one.

I'm thinking 600-1000 range would be good, not too much more unless the core is EXCELLENT.
                          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

[quote]matthunter1448 wrote:
                            Originally posted by FlawleZ
                            Depending on what your total costs are, I think you could make a "kit" and be fairly profitable with as many Z31's still aren't intercooled. Most of the battle is the custom work involved and if you could offer an affordable (loose term, I know) IC setup, I can't imagine it not selling well.
                            I second that!!!
                            I third that. If you want *The Best* ya gotta pay for it and custom work IME(that I end up doing) almost always cost more then a kit but my power levels, reliability and longevity ususally eclipse the kits so it's worth it.

The bottom line is that their's a huge market for Z31 parts and it just keeps getting bigger. Z's are a great investment in the global market. Guys wanna go faster then the other guys and they're willing to pay for it. An awesome intercooler kit would be great for the Z boyz. The way to turn a profit with good quality is mass production='s large initial investment.

Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

The bottom line is that their's a huge market for Z31 parts and it just keeps getting bigger.
                              Wow that's wrong lol Ask Dan at TSS just how huge the market is for Z31 parts, it's not huge at all.
                              http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Working...
                              X