No announcement yet.

'hot' cyls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aircraft (to be specific , propeller aircraft ) need that shit , because they adjust the mixture acording to the egt's and the elevation they are flying at .

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote: While that device is cool, I can do the same thing with a K thermocouple connected to a good DMM. I did it for the plenum temperature testing that showed the intake spacer dropped temps over 80 degrees F.

The down side would be having to do 6 pulls to collect the data instead of one, and that small variances will pop up between pulls that similtanious logging would be nice to have, but I'm not sure it's 100% necessary.

Originally posted by Dan-TSS
      Not that it even applies to your scenario because of all the possible variables involved...(original poster)...but here is some more findings with a current car I am working:

Cylinders #2 & #6 are the hottest.

I managed to melt off the spark plug electrodes(stock turbo heat range) to these cylinders and create a head gasket leak near cylinder #2.

*I am now replacing headgaskets and switching up to the one step colder plugs for the application, along with upgrading to a stage 3 turbine wheel.
      If you are melting plugs, peoiple should not expect going to a colder heat range to save them. You may want to adjust your fueling a little more into the black smoke direction :-P

Are you stepping up the turbine wheel to gain power, or because you believe it resulted in the higher charge temperatures from increased exhaust gas reversion?

Those words are too technical for me...
      ~I am changing the turbine becuase I believe that the clipped stock wheel has become the choker in the set-up. The amount of backpressure created at the boost level I am trying to get the car to, is forcing EGT's too high.
      When tuning, I started at a modest 12psi, and based on the way I have the k and latency, I have leaned things out to get away from 10.9's...to hug the 11.5 range when I am seeing positive pressure. Melting those two plug electrodes occured at 18psi with safe ignition timing(17-18 degrees). The AFR was pleasant 11.2-11.7, but the gain felt at the seat of the pants isn't what I'd expect when comparing like going from 14psi to 16psi. You can physically feel and visually see by the afm output that the gain is smaller...this has all helped me decide that ultimately there is too much resistance created by the stock clipped wheel to take advantage of the extra boost.
      I know that lower timing values can also create higher EGT's, which also may have contributed to the melting of the electrodes. I kinda have all my ducks in a row for the next chapter in tuning this build. I just need to eliminate one thing at a time. The turbine obviuosly isn't the most ideal for trying to take full advantage of the compressor that is on there.
      *I get a full 16 psi by 2700-2800rpm... :lol: It's time for a stageIII wheel and some more flow, with the acceptance of some delay in boost response.
      (I'm so used to screwing with a vg30 that's using the stock cams....these cams and porting make the engine just want to breathe!)
      I am here to help...

Comment

Finaly somone that realizes that full 16lbs of boost by 2800rpm isnt a good thing :roll:

When you do your larger wheel pay attention to the top end power. Even by seat of the pants you can feel it pull harder with a larger turbine and AR. Not that a stage 3 is large but....
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Working...
        X