Turning the plenum around-and putting a T/b On the front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning the plenum around-and putting a T/b On the front

well this "idea" came about when i got bored and was having a play on doing some 3d modeling.
    While i was doing it i thought well you could take off the top of the plenum gut it turn it around so that were the old elbow used to be the throttle body would now be there.

Or i was thinking you could take that a little further and do your own top for the plenum in the origional style, and while you were at it un shroud that port near the front, adjust the volume to suit your needs (more torque or topend ?) and then put on the throttle body of your choice.

Keep in mind that i do not know lots about airflow and velocitys and that i am just having a bit of fun with my 3d modeling but would i be right in thinking that the way ive drawn it ( gutted plenum with elbow cut off and T?B at the front )would at the very least be as good as any other gutted plenum ?

comments welcome im all keen to hear why this will or wont work .
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

that's actually thought to be one of the most efficient designs, and a great space saver...the only problem with that kind of setup is that you must make a bend right off of the plenum in order to clear a stock Z31 hood, but really I don't see that as much of a problem. I know there are several people who have already made something similar.

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
    1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
    1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
    2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
    2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

i am considering setting up the Mig for alloy and having a plenum gutted and giving this a try, i would like to ( i know there are plenty of ways around it already) keep the AC,keep the IC piping short and simple and do something diffierent
      85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

James... you realize that's almost a spitting image of a stock Maxima intake, right..?

http://racingsouthwest.com/forums/index ... ry&id=1874
        1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

actually its almost to scale from a z31 intake with one end cut off and turned around,if i find a maxima intake here i will jump on it where i live ive never seen a maxima with that particular intake on it. btw which exact model did they come off ?
          85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

I forget exactly, It's the first generation with the VG30E. They are plentiful in junkyards.

Comment

OK85ZX wrote: I forget exactly, It's the generation with the first years of the VG30E, before it went to the dual TB manifold. They are plentiful in junkyards.
              Fixed :wink:
              imagination is a virtue

Comment

Also, just FYI on your intake idea, it will probably have to be lower in the front as the way you have it, it probably will not clear the hood.

Comment

i might go for a stomp around a junkyard and see if i can't find a few vg30 maxima's, next time i might draw one up after taking a few measurementsof the hood see exactly how hard it would be to make it fit under there
                  85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

there's a hood clearance issue on the maxima plenum, so turning ours around would raise the same problem. SATAN used a maxima plenum, but he lowered the engine an inch and a half AND cut and rewelded the TB down a bit.
                    Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                    I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                    Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

I have the maxima intake. I have test fitted it on my 85 with stock height engine, and all that would need to happen would be to cut the TB flange off, weld a pipe that does a 45* down pretty immediately off the intake, then weld the flange back on. The only clearance problem it has stock is just a little bit on the TB flange, if it were gone there would be no issues. Other modifications needed for it... relocate FPR and slightly bend down the ends of the fuel rails.

Comment

Just look out for your I/C piping. It gets pretty close to the hood latch. I ran 2.75" and it was just about touching.
                        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I made that exact plenum! I nicknamed it the frankenstien plenum because it turned out ugly as hell. I lowered the engine by almost an inch, shaved off a lot of the bottom portion of the plenum. With all that it stil didn't come close to fitting under the hood. So i gave it to my little bro when he got his NA Z. It worked great for a ram air setup with no hood. I suggest starting with a maxima plenum and just gut it.
                          KILL HADJI

Comment

im not keen on lowerering the engine so it looks im im stuck with finding a maxima one, hey it was still fun playing with Autocad Inventor , what will be interesting is to model up a z31 plenem and a maxima one and compare volumes ect Inventor can do all kinds of fancy stuff it might even has something that can work out what the airflow through it is like.

thanks for the comments guys (at least i didn't go hacking something up to find it had no hope in hell of fitting )
                            85 Turbo Slick Top

Comment

You shouldn't give up on the idea of making a custom plenum, that's a good thing, your idea is just too tall. Look at other people who have made custom intakes like Satan, etc.. While the Maxima is a good alternative if you have limited resources.. if you have the time and equiptment to custom build your own, then that's going to be the best route to take.

Comment

Working...
                              X