Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo dismantling questions

hey,

i'm in the process of tearing down the turbo i bought. its out of an 85' Z31. i have the compressor housing off and the down pipe.

how do i get the compressor wheel off? i'm trying not to kill it. i want to make sure i do it right so i can reuse it.

and then there are two blots that hold the journal bearing onto the exhaust housing under the oil inlet and outlet. how the hell do you get those off without stripping the head off.

i have only broken one bolt so far. i snapped a bolt on the down pipe. so i'll be heating that up and using some easy outs.

my other question is how freely should the shaft spin. mine won't spin unless i twist it by hand. i have just started soaking it in oil. i'll get some WD40 and PB Blaster Monday and try that as well.

i'll be sandblasting all the rust off the cast stuff. and then polishing the aluminum parts before this goes on my car.

i'll be one of the next NA2T people out there. i'm just taking my time and gathering and rebuilding stuff now.

some other questions i have as well.

can i ditch the internal wastegate and convert it to external. i have a T3 exhuast housing plate i can weld a down pipe on. and then fabricate an external waste gate.

has anyone polished the insides of the compressor housing and the down pipe to increase flow? if so can i see some pictures?

this is my first turbo tear down and rebuild. so i'm really learning a lot just by tearing it apart. i've had a few turbo saabs over the years, but all i did was mess with the rod on the waste gate so it would hold more boost. thats how i blew up my first saabs headgasket. i was going 140mph and poof. a bunch of white smoke came out the back. this is back in highschool about 10 years ago. :lol: i drove it like that for a week. put a new headgasket in and it was as good as before. until my sister blew the motor up, but thats another story.

Comment

as far as breaking the bolts loose I think your just gonna have to figure out a way cause it is a pain in the ass on old rusted turbos.

Keep in mind that as soon as you break that nut loose on the compressor wheel the turbo becomes unbalanced at that moment. You can put it back together with it being unbalenced but it will reduce the life of the turbo. Remember they spin around 100k rpm's so balancing is a good Idea.

Oh and it should spin very freely meaning you should be able to spin it with your fingernail with out your nail even thinking of beeing stressed. In other word "very easily" should not even come close to needing a whole hand to spin it. maybe even a hard breath should move it on its own.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

so, i'm probably going to need a new bearing section. great.

who balances turbos?

i might as well buy a different compressor wheel. since i'm ripping this apart. i might as well just go all out and not waste money twice.

Comment

84z31 wrote: so, i'm probably going to need a new bearing section. great.

who balances turbos?

i might as well buy a different compressor wheel. since i'm ripping this apart. i might as well just go all out and not waste money twice.
          well on that note why even stick with the oem turbo? So you are rebuilding it yourself? Keep in mind that it might end up being cheaper to send it somewhere to have it rebuilt rather that rebuilding it yourself. If you gotta send it to have it balanced anyways, you would have to pay for shipping + balancing. if you were to just have them do the whole thing then it might not be that much more. Just tryin to look out for your best interest. They might be able to get those bolts out and save the center section as to where you or I could not.

Comment

yeah, i've just always wanted to try to rebuild one.

i'll check on the price of the parts. i'm not building my car for drag racing. just mostly street and autocross. so all out power is not my goal.

i can get turbonetics and greddy parts at cost so i'll look into going that route.

i'm just looking for advise from the pros. and hopefully i can catch up to your knowledge soon.

Comment

heres an article i found on rebuilding a turbo

http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/rebuilding.htm

i'm going to do a little reading and see what i can do.

i filled the turbo center section with oil. it seems to be loosing up a bit. i'm going to get some wd40 and pbblaster and try soaking it in that stuff to see if it'll loosen up. i think its just a little rusty. it had been sitting for a long time. there is not any detectable shaft play. i think this thing was rebuilt recently.

but i'm going to check on parts and report back.

Comment

one more question

what are the specs on the factory turbo?

like the AR and compressor wheel specs.

Comment

incase anyone else is wanting to learn about turbos and rebuilding them i'll post this link

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/inde ... pic=3921.0

Comment

comp is a 60 trim T3
                    ~.60AR

exhaust is standard T3 turbine
                    .63AR

Personally I would send it out to a reputable vendor (IE not majestic or the others on the crap list) for the peace of mind in having it professionally done. I also believe balancing is done on the turbine independently of the compressor wheel IIRC. In case you really wanted to rebuild it yourself...

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: comp is a 60 trim T3
                      ~.60AR

exhaust is standard T3 turbine
                      .63AR

Personally I would send it out to a reputable vendor (IE not majestic or the others on the crap list) for the peace of mind in having it professionally done. I also believe balancing is done on the turbine independently of the compressor wheel IIRC. In case you really wanted to rebuild it yourself...
                      I dont know, on my 42r the comp wheel has material removed from the inner part of it. and on the T-66 I used to have also. I bet they balance the comp wheel too.

Comment

they balance both wheels. the compressor wheel has a little ground off it.

Comment

84z31 wrote: they balance both wheels. the compressor wheel has a little ground off it.
                          Well of course they balance both wheels; what I was saying is I believe they balance both on their own, not as an assembly. If they did, as soon as you removed the compressor wheel retaining nut, the assembly would need to be re-balanced (which is not the case).

Comment

Oh, ok, I see what you are saying now. that makes sence. I guess they dont need to be balanced together. just so long as they are both balanced.

Comment

Working...
                            X