• Show
Clear All

• snapped camshaft

well i thought i blew up my motor. well turns out i snapped a camshaft
    could anyone explain how this happened or have any clues
    it ran fine then one day just blew
    and would the bottom end still be in good condition since this happened

here's pics

probably not, unless you just happened to not have your pistons collide with your valves

Comment

aftermarket or stock?
      It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

supposably the cams were aftermarket(i'm going to call the guy i bought the motor from tomorrow and find out for sure) but the motor was completely stock just boosted at 12 psi

Comment

That fricken sucks!
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

That blows.
            Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
            1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
            2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Thats pretty weird. I wouldnt expect to see that... Unless they are aftermarket... Thats bullshit. Feel sorry for you.

Comment

Definitely let us know what brand they are if in fact they turn out to be aftermarket. That is just crazy.

I wouldn't think the bottom end would be damaged. When that cam broke the valves may have hit the pistons but that shouldn't have done much other than make a little mark on the top of the pistons. I would be more concerned with that cylinder head.
                Just stand back and throw money.
                Performance costs money.
                Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

well i'm pulling it off today so we will see

Comment

Dam, that takes some skill

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

i remember hearing before that if the timing belt was too tight that it could snap a shaft. i`m not sure i believe that however

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                      good thing....

Comment

autoworkZ wrote: i remember hearing before that if the timing belt was too tight that it could snap a shaft. i`m not sure i believe that however
                        i dont believe it , considering the belt is made out of rubber and string ? and the cam is made out of steel! , maybe if we had chains and they were adjusted too tight..

Comment

so heres the pics of the pistons. i'm taking the heads to the shop tomorrow so...

and shouldn't the edges of the pistons be smooth and not rough like the second pic

Comment

yeah it looks like you had a UFO in the combustion chamber.. something bouncing around , were valves in one piece???

Comment

ya they seem to be in one peice there were no chucks of metal when i got the heads off so..guess so
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X