Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The weekend project and some interesting finds....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The weekend project and some interesting finds....

So with my turbo's seals beyond shot, it was time to yank it out. Sunday evening was the lucky day. Man was my turbo nasty. Here are a few pictures and see if you see anything wrong with the pictures. High res are linked below each picture.

http://www.photodump.org/stored8/DSC00797.JPG

http://www.photodump.org/stored8/DSC00796.JPG

http://www.photodump.org/stored8/DSC00795.JPG

http://www.photodump.org/stored8/DSC00794.JPG

Now, the turbo on the left side in the pictures is a 100% stock T25. Anyone notice the fact that the T25 exhaust turbine is LARGER than the T3/T4's? I had wondered for a while now why my car wasn't making the power it should have been at x amount of boost. So basically I have a wimpy turbine more inneffient than digging out of prison with a spoon.

So while this is frustrating, it's also relieving at the same time. I alteast now know why my car wasn't making the power it should have been.
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Nice and oily

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

You seem to have mistyped there... the T2X turbine (the one with the wastegate flapper built into the turbine housing) is smaller than the T3 turbine. Nothing looks abnormal there...

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: You seem to have mistyped there... the T2X turbine (the one with the wastegate flapper built into the turbine housing) is smaller than the T3 turbine. Nothing looks abnormal there...
        +1

the housing may be bigger, but look at the actual turbine wheel, the one on your T3/T4 hybrid is definately larger

Comment

maybe he meant the housing?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

[quote]Andrevas wrote:
            Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
            You seem to have mistyped there... the T2X turbine (the one with the wastegate flapper built into the turbine housing) is smaller than the T3 turbine. Nothing looks abnormal there...+1

the housing may be bigger, but look at the actual turbine wheel, the one on your T3/T4 hybrid is definately larger
            This is what I was implying. I guess I didn't word it correctly. The turbine housing is smaller on the T3/T4 than the T25, which I would take to be not a good thing.
            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

should spool quick and choke out on the top end. what is it doing besides not making the power you think it should? Jason makes 500whp but he runs a .63 with a stage III wheel so he spools quick but he still makes good power.... so whats it doing? or not doing
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: should spool quick and choke out on the top end. what is it doing besides not making the power you think it should? Jason makes 500whp but he runs a .63 with a stage III wheel so he spools quick but he still makes good power.... so whats it doing? or not doing
                Well besides the fact that it was smoking horribly and burning oil like there is no tomorrow, it had a fair amount of shaftplay AND one of the bolts in the centersection randomly came out. So I was going to pull the turbo anyway because it needed some TLC.

Beyond that it just has produced less than satisfying results. My car was running EXTREMELY rich under WOT even at 10-12 psi. This shouldn't be the case on stock fuel. It's almost as if the turbo itself isn't as efficient as it should be. This is also on a 9:1 motor. All the more reason for this to just, not add up.
                545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

SATAN wrote: should spool quick and choke out on the top end.
                  Actually it was quite the opposite. Spool was alright with minimal lag but the turbo pulled stronger and stronger all the way to the end of each gear. But like FlawleZ said it definetly didnt make the power it should have.
                  " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
                  LaterZ

Comment

Don't pay attention to the turbine housings size on the outside. I am 100% sure the T25 has a thicker casting. All that matters is the AR anyway.

Is that T3 turbine stock? To me it looks like it may be clipped, which may explain the lackluster performance.

If you are running rich on 10-12PSI with stock fuel then something is very not right. The stock fuel system programming should be all but maxed out with that boost and even a moderately upsized compressor...

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Don't pay attention to the turbine housings size on the outside. I am 100% sure the T25 has a thicker casting. All that matters is the AR anyway.

Is that T3 turbine stock? To me it looks like it may be clipped, which may explain the lackluster performance.

If you are running rich on 10-12PSI with stock fuel then something is very not right. The stock fuel system programming should be all but maxed out with that boost and even a moderately upsized compressor...
                      This was my thinking exactly. Even solving dumb little boost leaks and timing issues, my car was still running astronomically rich. Sadly, I don't think the car was making any more than 230+ RWHP. My best trap was a 98 mph. I was dead even with two different bolt on stock turbo Z31's. That shouldn't happen. ;(

Sadly, I don't know much on the specific specs of the turbine, other than its not from a Z specifically. I'm having Joel in AZ rebuild it and I'll have him give me the specifics.
                      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: If you are running rich on 10-12PSI with stock fuel then something is very not right. The stock fuel system programming should be all but maxed out with that boost and even a moderately upsized compressor...
                        same issue here.. tried to fix it this weekend . started by rigging up a "boost leak detector) , practically a jet sking piston the perfect diameter where the afm goes , and a vacuum linme from my blow gun to a vacuum port un-used on the intake manifold , after i found some , i was still loosing pressure quickly , something like ten seconds to go from 5psi to 0 , i fixed some really fast , it didnt change the problem which i started doing all of this shit , because my car was running super lean @ idle some like 15-16 AFR's , i just started noticing how lean i was running recently when installed a w/b .when i would let off throttle9while driving in gear) it would go off the chart lean , it was really worrying me . anyway after tinkering around a bit , i couldnt find anything to explain why i was running so lean under vacuum (under boost it ran fine) , i decided to swap out the afm for a spare i had laying around , i noticed that they were not the same part numbers (even tho it came out my 86t donor car) , i still went ahead and put it in , noew my car idles at about 12.5 - 13 AFR's @900 rpms and 20deg timing , at part throttle im right around 14.5-15 , i still goes lean when i let off throttlew but just for a split second and the back to 13's and under boost it runs rich as hell like 10-11 AFR's . im statifisfied with this , it gives me a peace of mind , now im just going to enjoy wasting gas for now . i plan to rip all of that shit out in about 4 months anyway. i have plans/been collecting parts for a nice setup i thinks you guys should enjoys , im still missing the most essential parts tho so its not worth mentioning... sorry for the rant..

btw. i love my w/b

Comment

you do realize that when you let off the throttle while driving the computer stops pulsing the injectors, right?

Comment

so its normal? thanks for that non-agressive answer chris :wink: no i had no idea ...

Comment

Working...
                            X