rebuilding lifters?or vh45lifters like grahfz said,questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuilding lifters?or vh45lifters like grahfz said,questions

I know that its probably too much trouble to even consider but has anyone? Ive got a spare set of lifters and the ones in my car wont stop ticking. I figured I would give it a minute but its just not going away. I may just have to drop 120 bucks and get new ones.

OR grahfz was talking about those vh45 lifters. Grahfz you said that they were 1mm larger in diameter but what about the height of them? granted I could probably make up the difference with shims if they were taller or have the shop shave some off of the lifter holder thingy if they were shorter. what other info you got on those things? Rolling lifters right? when I first read what you wrote I was thinking roller rockers. but lifters with rollers on them? interesting. you got a picture?

EDIT: wierd its kinda like a rocker/lifter, I dont even know how I would make that work. Looks like the "lifter" doesnt have rollers tho just the rocker.
    http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1236 ... rge4xu.jpg

The only thing holding the rocker down is the camshaft it looks like. I dont even think that could be remotly adaptable.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Is that a pic of the VH45 lifters?
    Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
    1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
    2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Yeah, did a google search for images and it came up with two images. The other one has a giant hand in the way lol!

Comment

Yeah, the VH45 definitely has a different rocker arm set up.

It might be possible to weld the lifter, or somehow seize it? to make it solid.
        Or find a roller that will work. The rocker arm is another battle though.
        You could drill, tap, and make a slack adjuster here:
        Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
        1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
        2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Wouldnt you make the adjuster on the short side of the rocker. Ya know, the side that goes on the lifter.
          ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

I've seen them on both sides before. Either way, it's just taking up a bit of slack, no matter what side it's on.
            Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
            1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
            2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Any idea what vehicle you have seen them on the valve side?

Im not saying your wrong or anything, I just have never personally seen a valve adjustment on the valve side of the rocker arm.
              ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

lol, I was saying that I found the specs in the FSM's.. the handiest source of info if you're trying to cross-match car parts ;D

I was only throwing out there that it MIGHT be possible...

they say that going full roller is worth ~25hp for a v8...
                vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Rebuild a set of stock lifters. I think the time and money involved to replace the stock units with something fancy isnt going to be worth the hassle unless you just dont have anything better to do.

Comment

120 bucks buys you a brand new set of lifters from Nissan

Comment

Stinky wrote: Rebuild a set of stock lifters. I think the time and money involved to replace the stock units with something fancy isnt going to be worth the hassle unless you just dont have anything better to do.
                      Yeah I figured, just thought I'd throw that out there. is there anyway I can "purge" them say by compressing them in a vice or somthing then holding them in with a c clamp or somthing and then letting them loose while they are submerged in oil? or if the ticking just doesnt go away on its own in the car, they just done and just need to be replaced?

Comment

GotFast? wrote: 120 bucks buys you a brand new set of lifters from Nissan
                        Yeah I know there cheap, I was just askin cause I got extras laying around is all so figured why not find out.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                          Originally posted by GotFast?
                          120 bucks buys you a brand new set of lifters from Nissan
                          Yeah I know there cheap, I was just askin cause I got extras laying around is all so figured why not find out.
                          This should do ya
                          http://www.300zxrestoration.com/lifterrebuild.html
                          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Thats fricken sweet! thanks man! I'll let you know how it works out in prolly a couple days.

Comment

weight

the rocker is aluminum, and the lash screw would be something heavier like steel and necessitating more meat around it so it won't deform at the threads and won't break from fatigue

more meat on the close side = less rotating mass

Comment

Working...
                              X