No announcement yet.

Just rebuilt/disasembled and cleaned the lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got the same problem satan, and after trying 3 seperate sets of lifters with no difference whatsoever, I've decided that my cam grind is the cause of my lifter tick. So I've decided just to live with it.
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

But the problem I see is that when I put them in at first they sounded great! I couldnt hear them at all. then as soon as they got warm they started ticking away. They were ok for a couple minutes so...
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

bad checkvalve, I'm betting, because you pre-filled them, ran them for a bit until it dumped that oil out, and they just can't maintain enough in there since then....
        vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
        2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

grahfz wrote: bad checkvalve, I'm betting, because you pre-filled them, ran them for a bit until it dumped that oil out, and they just can't maintain enough in there since then....
          +1
          ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

See I was thinking that too, but "the guy" in that link said that if you pour solvent into the thigamajiger and it hold without leaking past the check valve then all is well with the valve. All of mine held solvent just fine before I put them back together. Oh well, guess I'll just dump the 120 on new lifters and if that doesnt fix it at least I will have a piece of mind knowing that I have new lifters.

Comment

...testing it against gravity, or against the mechanical forces experienced in operation? :lol:
              vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
              2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

GotFast? wrote: holy post whore batman. LOL i just read the same post twice.

Did you resurface the faces to? Are the cams in your cylinder heads new? I know schneider recommends new lifters with there reground cams....Jason resurfaced his, I replaced mine. Let me know how urs work.
                Doesn't every Cam selller and Mechanic on the planet reco New or minimum resurfaced lifters? Many Nissan truck guys will tell stories of Noisy ass lifters on Hi-mileage VG30's& VG33E's. Personally I always use new Lifters when the time comes.

Just thinking about resurfacing Lifters is giving me a headache.

We're doing full Tokico Stuts and Strut bars(Front is child's play) on a 03 Maxima and the rear end strut bar is a Royal pain in the ass for two large men.

Peace
                Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

SATAN wrote: See I was thinking that too, but "the guy" in that link said that if you pour solvent into the thigamajiger and it hold without leaking past the check valve then all is well with the valve. All of mine held solvent just fine before I put them back together. Oh well, guess I'll just dump the 120 on new lifters and if that doesnt fix it at least I will have a piece of mind knowing that I have new lifters.
                  I have a set of used lifters you can have cheap. They have about 120K on them and no blemished on the cam surface as far as I can see. They were absolutely great (no tick even when cold) but I recently put brand new lifters in my car trying to troubleshoot a noise that turned out to be the piston slap from zero silicon forged pistons (I was not used to, nor expecting, that amount of noise from the engine when cold).

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                    Originally posted by SATAN
                    I recently put brand new lifters in my car trying to troubleshoot a noise that turned out to be the piston slap from zero silicon forged pistons (I was not used to, nor expecting, that amount of noise from the engine when cold).
                    Hey bro, I think we can all agree that a bone stock NA VG engine isn't exactly quiet. That noise is the tradeoff for being able to run boost that would make many high silicone pistons cry but I feel ya on the cold noise! The BRC pistons freaking rock but they should be bloody loud. JWT Pistons can handle some nice boost while not being as noisy as pistons like your running but they're bloody expensive like all things JWT and they can't handle the SICK boost!
                    Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

dah!!! that quote^ is all wrong! hehehe

Any ways Jason. Thats funny did you read one of the first posts I did in this thread? It said " Ok, just installed them and ran the car for like 3 mins at 2k rpm. at first I couldnt hear anything except the pistons slapping against the block then after it warmed up I could hear a slight ticking."
                      Hahaha low silicone

Anyways, Jason, I might take those off of your hands. How much you want for them? I was just gonna get new ones but its just a simple device and if yours are working and the price is right then... Are they currently sitting upright or bathing in oil? I know that is how lots of places say they are supposed to be kept but meh :roll:

Comment

grahfz wrote: ...testing it against gravity, or against the mechanical forces experienced in operation? :lol:
                        But if you think about it gravity is just telling you that the ball is all the way seated on the seat if it is not leaking. The pressure when in the car is actually coming from unter the check valve pushing up on the ball. The only reason the check valve is there is so oil can get into the bottom of the lifter. So if the check valve is sealed enough to hold solvent from flowing by it from gravity then in theory it would most definatly be sealed when you push the ball even harder into its seat from the bottom.

Comment

SATAN wrote: dah!!! that quote^ is all wrong! hehehe

Any ways Jason. Thats funny did you read one of the first posts I did in this thread? It said " Ok, just installed them and ran the car for like 3 mins at 2k rpm. at first I couldnt hear anything except the pistons slapping against the block then after it warmed up I could hear a slight ticking."
                          Hahaha low silicone

Anyways, Jason, I might take those off of your hands. How much you want for them? I was just gonna get new ones but its just a simple device and if yours are working and the price is right then... Are they currently sitting upright or bathing in oil? I know that is how lots of places say they are supposed to be kept but meh :roll:
                          I did the same thing when I first started it up. It was really obvious the first time it started, but the noise changed as the engine broke in. Even when warm, it almost sounds slightly like a diesel engine of you put your ear near the intake plenum and rev it. It's a good thing and a bad thing, but I don't think it awfully injures anything in terms of longevity.
                          PM sent.

Comment

Yeah thats what I thought too when I first did my JE's a couple years ago. Started my car and let it idle in the driveway and my friend and I just kinda looked at the car when we heard it and figured that must be the piston slap noise everyone talks about. A LOT like a diesel, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                            X