Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just rebuilt/disasembled and cleaned the lifters

http://www.300zxrestoration.com/lifterrebuild.html

Ok so, I just rebuilt (or I guess you could say, took apart and perged) all of the lifters. he says he can do 6 in an hour it took me 2.5 hours to do all 12 of them. Then again I cleaned inside and out thoroughly. He makes sliding that allen wrench in and out sound easier than it is. as you compress the lifter with the clamp the crown spins making the hole not be where you put it to start(wouldn't happen with a vice). BUT, you can slide the lifter out of the clamp and slide your thumb over the top of it to keep it compressed while you set it on a table. Then you can spin the crown with your thumb to line up the holes again. You can use a smaller allen wrench than 2mm too to make it easier to slide it in if the holes are not lined up perfectly. also you dont have to compress the lifter to pull the c clip. you can just pry it out as the lifter is sitting on the table. I'll let you guys know if it is worth doing tomorow. 2.5hours or $120 at nissan?
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

holy post whore batman. LOL i just read the same post twice.

Did you resurface the faces to? Are the cams in your cylinder heads new? I know schneider recommends new lifters with there reground cams....Jason resurfaced his, I replaced mine. Let me know how urs work.
    ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: holy post whore batman. LOL i just read the same post twice.

Did you resurface the faces to? Are the cams in your cylinder heads new? I know schneider recommends new lifters with there reground cams....Jason resurfaced his, I replaced mine. Let me know how urs work.
      Yeah I deleted the other one and moved it to a new thread for info perposes. Sorry.

I didnt resurface them this time but I did before I put the engine back together when I rebuilt it. cams are sorta new? bout 5k on them by me.

Comment

Im just giving ya shit?

How do the wear patterns on the lifters look? Do they have 5k miles on them since being resurfaced or is that just the cam?
        ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: Im just giving ya shit?

How do the wear patterns on the lifters look? Do they have 5k miles on them since being resurfaced or is that just the cam?
          Just the cam cause as of right now the resurfaced lifters only have the 50 miles I have put on them since I put it back together. the cams actually look brand new still. I couldnt see any wear at all.??? guess I'm lucky? dunno.

Comment

whats really awsome is the ones that I intended on using didnt look as good as I wanted, so I ended up having to go and pull one side at a time off of the car. I ended up timing myself and with the new intake mani I made that is not in the way of stuff I managed to run down to the garage(bout 150ft away) pull the cover pull the rockers and grab the lifters and then make it back upstairs all inside of 7 minutes! YEEEEEEHAAAWWWW NASCAR HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

thats just one side though.

Comment

It seems like our lifters/cams are made out of better material than your average v8's.. I've NEVER heard of one mushrooming or getting eaten out, while I've seen several all-new setups on v8's go bad.
              vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
              2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Ok, just installed them and ran the car for like 3 mins at 2k rpm. at first I couldnt hear anything except the pistons slapping against the block then after it warmed up I could hear a slight ticking. then some guy came over and wanted to start talking about my car and how he has one that he wants to do this and that and yadda yadda. over all i would say that it helped but cant form a conclusion until I drive it around a lil bit more :?

Comment

SATAN wrote: Ok, just installed them and ran the car for like 3 mins at 2k rpm. at first I couldnt hear anything except the pistons slapping against the block then after it warmed up I could hear a slight ticking. then some guy came over and wanted to start talking about my car and how he has one that he wants to do this and that and yadda yadda. over all i would say that it helped but cant form a conclusion until I drive it around a lil bit more :?
                  gah! I was hoping for ya. Were any of them obviously bad when you pulled them out? (Could squeeze them together easily?)

Did you refill them with oil? Or just figured that it'd pump up on it's own?

I'd cruise it a bit.. but as easy as it is for you to tear it apart... :twisted:

Comment

they all seemed to be holding pressure just fine(couldnt even come close to compressing with my hand) but I rebuillt them anyways. I refilled them with straight 40wt, assembled them and then let them sit in a bag of 40wt over night.

I'm gonna go slap on my snow suit(no heater) and my daughter and I are gonna go driving around for a lil bit, so... I'll post again and say wether its better to rebuild or buy new. The guy did say that they may still tick for a lil bit, but it does go away. so we will see.

Comment

g'luck wit it

Comment

Ok, to anyone wanting to rebuild their lifters, it didnt work for me. My lifters were ticking I pulled them out dissasembled them, cleaned them, filled with oil, reasembled them and they sounded great for about 1-2 minutes, then after that the same ticking problem came back. I thought to myself "maybe its not the lifters fault, maybe I did somthing wrong" but I really couldnt have. They work, just noisy. I've got plenty of oil pressure, 20psi at idle20w-50. I guess rebuilding just didnt work. I'd hate to go drop 120 bucks on new ones and have the same problem though.

I would think that a ticking lifter means that they are not opening the valves at the right time though? Like it is delayed longer than it is supposed to be due to the "slack" of a ticking lifter. Or that the valve isnt seeing as much lift as it should. what do you think?

Comment

I've never seen a ticking lifter really affect a car.. maybe down a little on power, but I've never been able to tell even that much..

maybe the top part's not pumping up, so it's kind hitting the rocker arm as the cam forces it to go?

Comment

solid lifters have a tick when theyre loosened and out of spec , it can also make the idle a little erratic ,you loose a little power , mostly its about the annoying tick . but this is all on solids , i wanna believe something similar happens with collapsed hydraulic lifters...

Comment

I used to have a V8 with a stage 3 heatseaker cam in it and it did the same thing, tick tick tick. I replaced the lifters, and that didnt fix it, then i ended up rebuilding the motor a year or so later. When i did the motor, i tried to make sure that the lifter were full of oil again by soaking them for like a week. I never stopped the ticking noise and ended up just putting it down to the cam grind. A few of my mechanic friends told me it was quite common with some cams.

Do you know many others with those cams? maybe ask if they have the some noise.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X