Making solid/roller lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making solid/roller lifters

I noticed in another thread that people were talking of making solid lifters.
    If you are capable of dissasembling the stock lifter to rebuild it then couldnt you just make the proper shimming for the stock lifters and stick them inside making your stockers solid? Granted you would have to do the lash adjuster like was mentioned but it would be a way cheaper alternative to machining brand new solid lifters. No machining needed and fits perfect allready.
    "Simplify and add lightness."
    "Adding power makes you faster in a straight. Losing weight makes you faster everywhere."

That would work pretty good but then you have the problem of getting the shimming exactly PERFECT so that way there is not slack between the c-clip and the "guts" of the lifter. But then again maybe that slack could be taken up with the lash adjuster. maybe just have a clearence between the rocker arm and the lifter of say .010"? That and what would you make your lash adjuster out of? just a stainless bolt and keep the head toward the valve or lifter(depending on what side it would go on) and then say two nuts on top of the rocker arm to lock it in place? I would fear that, that still may come loose. You would also have to grind down the rocker arm to make room for the head of the bolt. not too hard since you can adjust as neccesary, so it wouldnt have to be PERFECT.

But would stainless even work or would it have to be a hardened steel? Do they even make hardened steel bolts. Would you put the head on the lifter/valve side or on top of the rocker arm so that way you could adjust it easier? That and if you did it that way you wouldnt have to grind down the rocker arm to make room for the bolt head. If you put it on the lifter side then it wouldnt have to move as far so there would be less kenetic energy on that side. but on the contrary, if you were to put it on the valve side then there is less force being applied to the adjuster due to the fact that it is further from the fulcrum point.

HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :idea:

EDIT: Or maybe one could take out the lash adjusters from another car and adapt them to the current rocker arms? HHHHMMMMM AGAIN!!! :idea:
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

The idea is more along the lines of machining a solid ROLLER lifter. The current lifters just have a flat base that ride on the cam. Rollers traditionally reduce friction here. The reduced friction requires less power to turn the cam, so more goes out to the rear end.
      ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: The idea is more along the lines of machining a solid ROLLER lifter. The current lifters just have a flat base that ride on the cam. Rollers traditionally reduce friction here. The reduced friction requires less power to turn the cam, so more goes out to the rear end.

OHHHHHHHHH I get it now!!! when I was looking at the picture the only roller I saw was on the rocker arm. I didnt realize that the roller he was talking about was actually riding on the cam itself that couldnt be seen in the picture. That changes things! But either way, I like this solid lifter idea!

So now, I get the vh45 solid roller lifter, then go pull a lash adjuster from another car, Than have the stock lifter guide machined 1mm larger or whatever is needed and BAM!
        solid roller lifters!

Comment

Problem is they aren't exactly the easiest thing in the world to machine. Ofcourse you have the actuall roller which has a bearing inside that it spins on. Thats the most difficult part...Machining a solid cylinder (thats all a solid lifter is with a hole to let some oil through) isnt all that hard.
          ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: Problem is they aren't exactly the easiest thing in the world to machine. Ofcourse you have the actuall roller which has a bearing inside that it spins on. Thats the most difficult part...Machining a solid cylinder (thats all a solid lifter is with a hole to let some oil through) isnt all that hard.
            Why even bother with trying to machine the solid lifter(unless its just way too tall)? All you would have to do is make the hole in the lifter guide larger to accept the new larger diameter lifter.

If the lifter was taller then I could see machining it down, OOORRRRR, grinding the rocker arm to take up where the lifter is longer and adjust from there.

Comment

See the difference....You have to machine whole new lifters.

Comment

http://www.opeltuners.com/rollerlifters.html

Check that website out...Its perfect.

Comment

But, you will need to keep the roller from turning around.
                  It needs to be facing one direction only.

I have a few disassembled heads in the garage, I'm gonna go play now.
                  Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                  1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                  2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Thats why you use a bar between two lifters. It prevents them from turning. With our lifter bodies, you could make the lifters with a flat side that would keep them from rotating around.

The rotation isnt the hard part of making them for our cars. Its the roller.

Comment

Oh man that sucks! I didnt even think about the cam having to be a different profile to work with the roller lifter. That makes perfect sence though.

Maybe just make the lifter solid and go from there then

Comment

GotFast? wrote: Thats why you use a bar between two lifters. It prevents them from turning. With our lifter bodies, you could make the lifters with a flat side that would keep them from rotating around.

The rotation isnt the hard part of making them for our cars. Its the roller.
                        Or the cam profile. you can see in those examples that for the same spec cam the two grinds are completely different. I dont think modifiying the roller would even work for the current cams that everyone runs. We would have to get new grinds

Comment

There really isnt any advantage to just have a solid lifter, unless you call having to do valve adjustments and listening to tick when the vehicle is cold advantages.

The two main advantages to roller lifter/rockers:

1. Steeper cam profile. You can get the valve from closed to maximum valve lift much quicker. The ramp from base circle to cam peak is much quicker.

2. Reduced friction on the cam. Reduced friction means that less effort is required to spin the cam. More power goes out to the wheels. I don't know much large of an increase this is but with the Supercharged 3.8Liter in my Supercoupe switching to a full roller rocker (car comes factory with roller lifters) nets a gain for 15-20 horsepower in a stock vehicle.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: There really isnt any advantage to just have a solid lifter, unless you call having to do valve adjustments and listening to tick when the vehicle is cold advantages.

The two main advantages to roller lifter/rockers:

1. Steeper cam profile. You can get the valve from closed to maximum valve lift much quicker. The ramp from base circle to cam peak is much quicker.

2. Reduced friction on the cam. Reduced friction means that less effort is required to spin the cam. More power goes out to the wheels. I don't know much large of an increase this is but with the Supercharged 3.8Liter in my Supercoupe switching to a full roller rocker (car comes factory with roller lifters) nets a gain for 15-20 horsepower in a stock vehicle.

Right. I could see that you would obviously loose friction resulting in power. But with being able to run "steeper" cams, Its not just that you would be able to. Its that you would HAVE
                            to. Other wise the old cam profile would end up being somthing completely different if you were to just swap to lifters that came off of a cam that was designed to run rollers.

Comment

Whats so bad about that...More lift, More time at max lift.

As long as you arent running the risk of bashing pistons into valves, its going to make more power!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X