Copper spray gasket over the head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper spray gasket over the head gasket

:? Has anybody try this on the vg engine with good results. Put some copper spray over the gasket to help it seal better. My friend works for a speed shop here in Miami and told me to spray this stuff over the head gasket before installing them on but I haven't heard this before here. I'm ready to put my heads on the new engine but I don't know if I want to do this.

Any feedback on this.
    1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

i used this stuff and all i can say is it doesnt hurt.My opnion is if your torque the heads right you dont need the stuff.

P.S. See you at fuddrockers in my red 03 froniter
    1986 Current build
    HX35/40 60mm wheel,480cc injectors,nistune, spearco 2-221,6 puck,walbro fp,solid cross and diff,jason motor mounts,poly everywhere else.

Comment

Yeah you dont need it. Ive seen people use it too but its not needed. I use it on older exhaust gaskets and stuff but not the head gasket.
      Attached Files
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I used to own a 2001 KTM 125sx. This 2-stroke 125cc Motocross bike had a light weight Wiseco Piston, and the cylinder deck was shaved. The increase in compression put a lot of stress on the head gasket.
        One day, while riding very hard, on a hot summer day at the local MX track, i overheated the bike. After that incident, coolant leaked into the chamber from the headgasket at a very slow rate whenever the bike was running. I replaced the headgasket with a new cometic gasket. It still burned coolant. I replaced the headgasket with a new cometic gasket, this time coating it with the copper spray (Brand Name: Copper Seal). After that it never leaked again.

Thats just my testimony to the stuff...

Take note that when you use it on gaskets, the next time you pull it apart, the gasket (if fiber or paper) usually tears and chunks, sometimes making the old gasket a PITA to remove.

Personally, I use it on most every gasket...
        "produce first.talk second."

Comment

I never use anything on a head gasket. They seal fine by themselves.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

On a COMETIC gasket, which you should bear in mind is MLS and not a composite weave. With MLS gaskets both surfaces need to be milled true for best sealing, and the copper coat is VERY beneficial for tight sealing. I'm not sure you can say that for our OE and similar head gasket material, but I can't see it hurting.

Comment

I used it.. and its worked fine... all i can say is, it cant hurt. it doesnt need it, but again, it never hurts. Alot of people ive talked to, swear by that stuff on headgaskets.

12.88 @ 114 mph.. in a 91 maxima at 14 psi

Comment

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: I used to own a 2001 KTM 125sx. This 2-stroke 125cc Motocross bike had a light weight Wiseco Piston, and the cylinder deck was shaved. The increase in compression put a lot of stress on the head gasket.
                One day, while riding very hard, on a hot summer day at the local MX track, i overheated the bike. After that incident, coolant leaked into the chamber from the headgasket at a very slow rate whenever the bike was running. I replaced the headgasket with a new cometic gasket. It still burned coolant. I replaced the headgasket with a new cometic gasket, this time coating it with the copper spray (Brand Name: Copper Seal). After that it never leaked again.

Take note that when you use it on gaskets, the next time you pull it apart, the gasket (if fiber or paper) usually tears and chunks, sometimes making the old gasket a PITA to remove.

If thats the case then the block and the head need to be re-decked. But hey, if copper sealer stuff worked for you with no problem then more power to you and anyone else that wants to use it. I with everyone else, Cant hurt anything so...

Comment

8) ...If that's the case I'll try it then. Insurance for more boost

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Comment

mario88ss wrote: 8) ...If that's the case I'll try it then. Insurance for more boost

Thanks for the feedback guys.
                    dammit man! thats not why people are saying to do it. Its not going to help you hold more boost. I just helps seal oil and water passages better. :shock:

Comment

:lol: :lol: I know man don't worry that was just a comment to see what people had to say.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                        Originally posted by Mike_GruiZinga
                        I used to own a 2001 KTM 125sx. This 2-stroke 125cc Motocross bike had a light weight Wiseco Piston, and the cylinder deck was shaved. The increase in compression put a lot of stress on the head gasket.

If thats the case then the block and the head need to be re-decked. But hey, if copper sealer stuff worked for you with no problem then more power to you and anyone else that wants to use it. I with everyone else, Cant hurt anything so...
                        The previous owner, who had the deck shaved, had said that it was shaved as much as anyone would want to go. The bike compression tested at about 185lbs. Stock compression is about 165-170. He suggested that i get a new cylinder and head (which i looked into) and bolt it on. I wouldnt have minded shaving the head even more, but i couldnt locate a shop willing to do it. The cylinder heads design on that bike was a little bit different than most other 2 strokers, and every performance shop wanted way to much money to do it IMO. So I went the cheap route, and used the gasket sealer, and it worked for me.
                        "produce first.talk second."

Comment

Is this stuff actual copper metal? I would want a head gasket completely made out of copper. For the reasons listed here.

http://goodvibesracing.com/Copper%20Gasket%20Tech.htm

I would want cylinder head temp to be very conductive towards the block.
                          Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

There are some for sale...

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

crowbar wrote: Is this stuff actual copper metal? I would want a head gasket completely made out of copper. For the reasons listed here.

http://goodvibesracing.com/Copper%20Gasket%20Tech.htm

I would want cylinder head temp to be very conductive towards the block.
                              What are you going to do about coolant passage sealing? And your going to have to O-ring the block and possibly cut a reciever groove in the head. And with copper headgaskets you will need to retorque the bolts numerous times (sometimes 4 to 5 times depending on the gasket manufacture).

Also, Ive heard that with full copper head gaskets, its recommended that you have the same 10-30 RA surface on both the block and heads. Why not just use an MLS or Cometic headgasket?
                              Attached Files
                              ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

Working...
                              X