No announcement yet.

Lifters Knocking LOUD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new lifters are about $120 from nissanparts.cc or get yours rebuilt for $70 or so?

Yes, it's very bad to run the car with collapsed or even highly worn lifters... especially at higher RPM.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Brand new lifters are about $120 from nissanparts.cc or get yours rebuilt for $70 or so?

Yes, it's very bad to run the car with collapsed or even highly worn lifters... especially at higher RPM.
      that's assuming a car can run at high rpm with no valve lift

Comment

[quote]G-E wrote:
        Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
        Brand new lifters are about $120 from nissanparts.cc or get yours rebuilt for $70 or so?

that's assuming a car can run at high rpm with no valve lift
        Oh they'll still lift... just as the cam lobes smack the shit out of the lifters enough to make them leave the cam surface again and start the cycle over. Might be a good idea to inspect the cam carefully using a dial indicator.

Comment

would the cam lobe smacking the lifter actually cause it to leave the cam tho? I dont think that is where the ticking is coming from. I think it is from the top portion of the lifter (the crown) being pushed down into the lifter body causing the check valve portion of the lifter to bottom out. I didnt think the lifter actually got sepperated from the cam surface.
          Attached Files
          "Simplify and add lightness."
          "Adding power makes you faster in a straight. Losing weight makes you faster everywhere."

Comment

I agree

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

9 times out of 10, the ticking noise is coming from the clearance between the rocker arm and the valve tip.

If you are not careful, or run an engine with lifter tick for to long, you can mushroom the tip of the valve to the point where the valve is junk and will have to be replaced.
              ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: 9 times out of 10, the ticking noise is coming from the clearance between the rocker arm and the valve tip.

If you are not careful, or run an engine with lifter tick for to long, you can mushroom the tip of the valve to the point where the valve is junk and will have to be replaced.
                I suppose I could se that being the case if you had to manually adjust lash and it was just way too far out of spec. However with failing hydraulic lifters the lash would still be taken care of so the ticking isnt from the space inbetween the rocker arm and the valve because there is no space with a hydraulic lifter even while failing. But, with a failing hydraulic lifter it would still bottom out inside the lifter body because of not being able to hold the pressure, thus ticking.

At least this is how I see it. However I'm no super astrophysisist NASA certified biomelecular chemical/mechanical mack-daddy UTI student either. :lol: Oh, who can work on Audi's or Bmw's :roll:
                "Simplify and add lightness."
                "Adding power makes you faster in a straight. Losing weight makes you faster everywhere."

Comment

Working...
                X