Lifters Knocking LOUD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifters Knocking LOUD?

My car has of course the normal lifter wear ticking, but that noise is very quiet... now... in the past 2 years whenever I do High RPM runs, for instance wrapping out 3rd, 4th and going in to 5th, if Im at high rpms for a while (like 30 seconds?) my lifters knock like A MOFO!

But if you stop the car and just let the engine idle... after like 1 minute it gets quieter and quieter until it goes back to normal.

Now I ran oil flush like 6 months ago, and from then on... my lifters NEVER ticked LOUD after high speed runs again (the only lifter noise was from normal wear) and has been perfect ever since.

But just 2 days ago I cant even go through 1 gear (3rd for instance) without hearing the stupid things knock SO loud that its noticeable with the windows down and music up with my exhaust. But if you let the engine idle for 1 minute it goes away and is normal again...

Whats going on?

Also...
    My rack and pinion is SQUEAKING! its ANNOYING and god awful and makes my car feel OLD. How can I fix this?
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

get new lifters or try rebuilding them. you know the problem now fix it!

Comment

84z31 wrote: get new lifters or try rebuilding them. you know the problem now fix it!
      +1^ You've got a 20year old car time to get new lifters or recondition them.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

My rack and pinion is SQUEAKING! its ANNOYING and god awful and makes my car feel OLD.
        lol As said above, it IS old!
        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

20-w50 with a qt of lucas. noise will be gone

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
          good thing....

Comment

autoworkZ wrote: 20-w50 with a qt of lucas. noise will be gone
            I agree 100%

Although it is just a temporary fix. Eventually you will have to replace them. I have never heard of VG lifters exploding, but i have heard of other car's lifters exploding when knocking is ignored.
            KILL HADJI

Comment

so... what happens when ur driving ur car HARD for extended periods of time (i.e. WOT in 5th gear trying to reach top speed) with the lifters like this?

Is that tickign noise because the lifters arent adjusting and are stuck which means that it is creating freeplay in the valvetrain causing more wear and noise?

How do you re-condition lifters?
              How much are they to replace?
              To replace them, any seals that im gonna run in to that I need to replace like the valve cover gasket?

thanks alot guys.

My rack and pinion is SQUEAKING! its ANNOYING and god awful and makes my car feel OLD. How can I fix this?

Comment

Read the thread that is in this section. It goes into rebuilding lifters. Its right under your nose lol
                85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Kinda strange, the sound like they are dirty

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

1SIKZ31 wrote: so... what happens when ur driving ur car HARD for extended periods of time (i.e. WOT in 5th gear trying to reach top speed) with the lifters like this?

Is that tickign noise because the lifters arent adjusting and are stuck which means that it is creating freeplay in the valvetrain causing more wear and noise?

How do you re-condition lifters?
                    How much are they to replace?
                    To replace them, any seals that im gonna run in to that I need to replace like the valve cover gasket?

thanks alot guys.

Why would you wanna do a top end run when your lifters sound like shit? C'mon now, use common sense. Get your lifters fix because you are asking for trouble.

As for the rack and pinion, get a new one.
                    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
                    1986 300zx Turbo
                    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
                    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

What kind of oil are you using? I had a problem with my lifters on my beater when I got, and it got worse (likely cause I drive it hard all the time) and was going to replace them. I switched to a synthetic motor oil, and except for initial startup, it went away.
                      Chuck Stong
                      300+ Parts and Performance owner
                      http://www.300-plus.com
                      2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

my guess is the lack of time to re-pressurize them at high rpm is the problem... so yes they are slightly worn, but part of the problem is the oil getting thinner as it heats up, and possibly you have a little bit of crust formed around the lifter hole

switching to a good quality thicker synthetic 15w-40 or so will probably cure that

and a failing lifter - ie. not holding pressure - will not cause engine destruction, the worst that can happen is you lose valve lift and get shitty performance

Comment

G-E wrote: my guess is the lack of time to re-pressurize them at high rpm is the problem... so yes they are slightly worn, but part of the problem is the oil getting thinner as it heats up, and possibly you have a little bit of crust formed around the lifter hole

switching to a good quality thicker synthetic 15w-40 or so will probably cure that

and a failing lifter - ie. not holding pressure - will not cause engine destruction, the worst that can happen is you lose valve lift and get shitty performance
                          THANK YOU.

Comment

Didn't every just tell me that oil gets THICKER as it heats up?

The Wax particles expand and make it thicker....

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Didn't every just tell me that oil gets THICKER as it heats up?

The Wax particles expand and make it thicker....
                              Oil get thinner as it heats up. Multiweight oils just don't thin out as much compared to a single grade oil, but they still do.
                              Chuck Stong
                              300+ Parts and Performance owner
                              http://www.300-plus.com
                              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                              X