Installing only the engine with the transmission already in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing only the engine with the transmission already in

Has anybody put back the engine in their Z with the tranny already installed in the car? What is the easiest way? All of the times I've done it I always put the engine and tranny together then drop the whole thing in the Z.But last time I took out the VG33 I left the tranny in place because I didn't wanna mess with the exhaust,driveshaft,and tranny mount. I'm picking up the engine tomorrow and any suggestions would help to make it go as smooth as possible.
    Shiro #443

um ... have a jack ready because your'e going to need to lift and lower the tranny as need be (getting the input shaft to go in can be a great pain). if you have the mechanical fan remove it because you're going to need all of the space you can get at the front and rear of the engine, and have alot of patience getting the top screws on the bellhousing .. maybe tape down some of the wiring and stuff that can get in the way of the engine ..

iv'e done it like this and the biggest problem was getting the tranny and motor to mate . damm you input shaft!! :x

Comment

2+2turbo wrote: um ... have a jack ready because your'e going to need to lift and lower the tranny as need be (getting the input shaft to go in can be a great pain). if you have the mechanical fan remove it because you're going to need all of the space you can get at the front and rear of the engine, and have alot of patience getting the top screws on the bellhousing .. maybe tape down some of the wiring and stuff that can get in the way of the engine ..

iv'e done it like this and the biggest problem was getting the tranny and motor to mate . damm you input shaft!! :x
      +1^ i went through the whole process and then realized I forgot to put in the flywheel cover(the plate inbetween the tranny and engine) the next day after everything was allready bolted up

DOH!!!!
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Lots of beer!
        :lol:
        Beer muscles and leather hands...OH, and a friend with small hands.

*I wish I had better advice. I figure the obvious stuff you already know.
        I am 99% sure that you will wind up dropping the transmission when you finally give up on trying to get the motor in there just right, working with the engine alone in the alignment of the input shaft.
        Let us know how it treats you!

I have two dollars on droppingthe tranny away from the chassis.
        I am here to help...

Comment

Trying to JINX me? I hope I don't have to drop the tranny.

Did you already send out the exhaust housing to Miketurbo?
          Shiro #443

Comment

So, did it work? how long did it take? It has taken me as long as 45min while the engine is supported by the cherry picker just to get the tranny and engine to stab together! With two people!
            "Simplify and add lightness."
            "Adding power makes you faster in a straight. Losing weight makes you faster everywhere."

Comment

Would it be possible to remove the tranny, and then put the tranny and engine together, and then put them both back in together?
              It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

That's how I usually do it but I wanna avoid all that.
                Shiro #443

Comment

It sounds like you can either reduce the time, or reduce the frustration.

Figure out which one you'd rather have less of.
                  It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Been through that pain at about 2 in the morning. Not much help to be found that late.

Get a few extra head bolts, chop the head off of them, and thread them into the block.
                    I wish I would have learned that trick BEFORE I put the engine in by itself.
                    That should really help lining things up.
                    Attached Files
                    Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
                    1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
                    2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

AHHH, Thats awsome! Ive allways heard people say "yeah just thread two head bolts into the block" and Ive allways thought to myself "WTF is that gonna do except get in the way?" Chopping the heads off! Now I understand.
                      Attached Files
                      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

yea dude, i tried that for the first time yesterday.. i was able to stab my tranny by myself and without a jack.. once i got the thing on my chest and lifted it up it slid right in.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I haven't chopped the head off of any bolts yet..

just two of the long ones if you can't chop them off, get it close, then thread them in, it'll chill right on the bolts.

We haven't tried it yet, but it seems like the long ones will give you enough space to do a clutch job right there, if your hands are small enough to get in there sideways.

Plus, you can pop it into gear, and spin the output shaft while applying forward pressure to get the tranny to spline in, works very well, no more 45 minutes trying to get the thing to spline.
                          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Rick88ss wrote: Trying to JINX me? I hope I don't have to drop the tranny.

Did you already send out the exhaust housing to Miketurbo?
                            No, I hope I don't "jinx" you. I have had the absolute shittiest luck recently. Just getting you prepared for war with your car is all.

Yeah, I sent the turbo and a check to mike about a week ago.
                            I gotta give him a call and make sure it arrived(I shipped it to him via USPS)
                            I am here to help...

Comment

Working...
                            X