No announcement yet.

Rebuilding a T3 Turbo Yourself - progress / write-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done a few T3 rebuilds and the only trouble with rebuild kits is making sure you get the proper intake side oil seal since there are at least two different types for nissan turbos and probably a bunch more for saabs, fords, etc.

The last one I rebuilt on my kitchen table one evening and all I did was replace the bearings and piston ring seal..............and clean clean clean.

It had huge play and I could actually feel where the turbo shaft was thinner from wear yet it's still working fine 45,000 miles later.

It's got huge play now but I don't run any throttle opening until the car is fully warmed up.

Comment

what other cars could i snag a t3 off of at a junkyard to use till my t3 t4 comes in.

Comment

Sadly....the cars other than nissans have different size housings and wheels as well as different bolt patterns for the elbow.

Comment

Many times the "wheels" are different sizes which correspond with the size of the housings.

Comment

[quote]OrionMCP wrote:
            Originally posted by HowlerMonkey
            Many times the "wheels" are different sizes which correspond with the size of the housings.
            Did not know that, I figured a Garret T-3 bearing section woul be the same as another Garret T-3
            I'd say you're both right. The center rotating housing assembly("bearing section") is separate from the turbine and compressor housings, and as such that T3 assembly itself should be a standard size. But as said, that doesn't mean that the turbine and exhaust wheels & housings are going to be of an identical size as the Z31. They can be up/downgraded to accommodate the application. Example: when I rebuilt my turbo, I used a standard Garrett T3 rebuild kit, and it worked beautifully and still does-had both type compressor housing gaskets to accommodate the potential variable there. I retained the stock wheels, housings & shaft. I did not receive a "Nissan" or "Z31" specific application kit, it just said Garrett T3 rebuild kit.
            Worked fine.

Comment

HowlerMonkey wrote: I've done a few T3 rebuilds and the only trouble with rebuild kits is making sure you get the proper intake side oil seal since there are at least two different types for nissan turbos and probably a bunch more for saabs, fords, etc.
              I can verify this as true. I ordered a kit for my 87 T3 and I gave the G-Pop Shop the compressor serial number, and they sent me the corresponding kit. However, it came with a 4 piece carbon seal and not a dynamic seal.

It is possible they sent me a T25 kit. Not sure how those look. But that's not GPop Shop's fault. The guy who rebuilt my turbo said he used to use the same supplier until they decided to make their distribution of rebuild kits with am order of 10,000 dollar or more, so he switched to another supplier. He said the 360 degree thrust bearing that I got also did not line up with the fastening hole or something, so I told him over the phone to do whatever in his mind would prolong the life of the turbo, and that I would pay him for it.

I'm kinda glad I got him to do it for me, as with the wrong seals, I would not have known what to do.

Comment

I can verify this as true. I ordered a kit for my 87 T3 and I gave the G-Pop Shop the compressor serial number, and they sent me the corresponding kit. However, it came with a 4 piece carbon seal and not a dynamic seal.

It is possible they sent me a T25 kit. Not sure how those look. But that's not GPop Shop's fault. The guy who rebuilt my turbo said he used to use the same supplier until they decided to make their distribution of rebuild kits with am order of 10,000 dollar or more, so he switched to another supplier. He said the 360 degree thrust bearing that I got also did not line up with the fastening hole or something, so I told him over the phone to do whatever in his mind would prolong the life of the turbo, and that I would pay him for it.

I'm kinda glad I got him to do it for me, as with the wrong seals, I would not have known what to do.
                When I ordered my kit form the G-Pop Shop, I noticed that their application chart is off. My T-3 required the dynamic seal and they had the 4pc seal listed. Luckily I had my turbo apart before I ordered and looked at the corresponding pictures before I bought my kit.
                1987 N/A-to-Turbo
                VG33ET
                Holset WH1C
                Stance Coils

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15468

Comment

Re: Poll to remove turbo rebuild thread or not...

I read through the thread again and I am still a little confused on something. For my stock 84 t3, I know it says it need the carbon seal, but there are two carbon seals listed with this kit, which one do i need?

1. dynamic seal(know its not this one, or is it, even more confused now?)
                  2. Encapsulated carbon seal
                  3. Four-piece carbon seal

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X