TRUE or FALSE?? Timing belt Q!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRUE or FALSE?? Timing belt Q!

my valvrs are bent due to my timing belt snaping on the freeway. is this a proven fact?

the only question is how many, and whether you need new pistons too

Comment

What exactly are you asking? If your timing belt breaks will you 100% bend valves? No, mine stripped once and it ran fine after i changed it. I got lucky! Most of the time it will bend your valves though.
      KILL HADJI

Comment

At freeway speeds if the belt breaks or goes slack due to a tensioner malfunction...True...you will have bent valves almost guaranteed.
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Well my belt stripped on the freeway, the motor shut down. and stupid me before even looking to see what happened i tried starting the car. I was just wondering if i did damage because i have heard that the valves will bend if your belt snaps. so is it for sure, do i need to remove and rebuild or should i just throw a new belt on?

Comment

You will be able to hear it if something has collided inside. I also tried starting it right after it shut off also. Also i was cruising at about 50mph.
            KILL HADJI

Comment

Start with the cheapest thing first. Either way, you will need a new belt and tensioner. Put that on and see if that did it. Probably wont because if it just died at highway speeds you prolly killed your valves. If your valves are toast however you didnt waste any money from buying the tensioner and the belt because you need that anyways.
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: Start with the cheapest thing first. Either way, you will need a new belt and tensioner. Put that on and see if that did it. Probably wont because if it just died at highway speeds you prolly killed your valves. If your valves are toast however you didnt waste any money from buying the tensioner and the belt because you need that anyways.
                Agreed, but even if it runs fine do a compression test.
                KILL HADJI

Comment

Hey thanks for the advice, i know what i have to do i just needed to hear it from someone else. and for you SATAN Thats gotta be 1 of the COOLEST z31 pics ive ever seen!!

Comment

Yeah, its cool. I fried a JE piston in that pic due to a plug that got to hot and exploded. Had to tear the whole engine down because of that. Note:make sure you run cold enough plugs with lots of power!
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X