major headache. rebuild time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• major headache. rebuild time?

Ok, so I finally got the car running and it smokes like a frieght train. You could mistake the muffler for an exhaust stack at a powerplant! Ive checked the obvious, no water in the oil, plugs are a little wet. Smoke is grayish-white. Im gonna do a compression test tomorrow and see what it tells me. So ive got an 87 na motor with a screwed up crank, an 88t w motor with a hole in the no 2 piston and a chewed up head, and smokey the bear (87T) in the car. Depending on whether the one in the car is just headgasket/valve guides or shitty rings Im gonna have to rebuild one of them. Which motor should I go with? I was thinking about the 88 with the n/a's pistons. Any ideas? Maybe I should sell all this crap and buy a horse! :roll:

9:1 compression + boost ftmfw

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
    good thing....

Comment

OrionMCP wrote: Ok, so I finally got the car running and it smokes like a frieght train. You could mistake the muffler for an exhaust stack at a powerplant! Ive checked the obvious, no water in the oil, plugs are a little wet. Smoke is grayish-white. Im gonna do a compression test tomorrow and see what it tells me. So ive got an 87 na motor with a screwed up crank, an 88t w motor with a hole in the no 2 piston and a chewed up head, and smokey the bear (87T) in the car. Depending on whether the one in the car is just headgasket/valve guides or shitty rings Im gonna have to rebuild one of them. Which motor should I go with? I was thinking about the 88 with the n/a's pistons. Any ideas? Maybe I should sell all this crap and buy a horse! :roll:
      why dont you try to diagnose the thing properly before thinking about which motor to put in... ever consider that the turbo is leaking oil and causing the smoke? thats a shit load more likely than guides or rings.

Comment

I thought that too, but if that was the case wouldnt there be oil coming up through the charge pipe? The last motor I had the turbo on didnt smoke at all, so I dont believe its leaking through the exhaust side of the turbo. But that still wouldnt explain the plugs being oily. The compression test should help narrow it down.

Comment

OrionMCP wrote: I thought that too, but if that was the case wouldnt there be oil coming up through the charge pipe? The last motor I had the turbo on didnt smoke at all, so I dont believe its leaking through the exhaust side of the turbo. But that still wouldnt explain the plugs being oily. The compression test should help narrow it down.
          Buddy of mine just put a 14b on his talon that was in good working order, boosted it once to 20psi on accident and oil started pouring into the exhaust. I was in the car when he did the one single pull and hit 20 psi.

Thats all it took to kill that turbo, Just a thought tho
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

My shit smoked TONS when my oil return kinked :lol: :shock:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Not to sound like as ass but you've screwed up 2 engines already, and number 3 is on the way? What exactly are you doing with them? Unless you're the unluckiest person in the world something is not right there...

A friend recently that had a similar problem, and it turned out to be his catalytic converter but considering your past experiences this is probably not likely in your case.
              http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Look at his signature. I bet that 10mm socket is in cylinder number 3!!

Compression test before anything. Make sure you keep the battery charged so that you dont get differences due to the starter spining slower. After the compression test, wet compression test to determine condition of piston rings.

Could also be turbo related, but i doubt it.
                ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                  Originally posted by OrionMCP
                  I thought that too, but if that was the case wouldnt there be oil coming up through the charge pipe? The last motor I had the turbo on didnt smoke at all, so I dont believe its leaking through the exhaust side of the turbo. But that still wouldnt explain the plugs being oily. The compression test should help narrow it down.
                  Buddy of mine just put a 14b on his talon that was in good working order, boosted it once to 20psi on accident and oil started pouring into the exhaust. I was in the car when he did the one single pull and hit 20 psi.

Thats all it took to kill that turbo, Just a thought tho
                  **I just smoked a newly assembled Nissan Hybrid. I managed to get it too hot or over spin it....the lucky psi was 18. I cannot vouch for the name brand center section that was used...I can't identify it, cuase there's no markings/stampings on it. The rear(hot side) seal went and began to leak oil into the exhaust.
                  YAY!
                  :roll:
                  I am here to help...

Comment

OrionMCP wrote: Smoke is grayish-white. Im gonna do a compression test tomorrow and see what it tells me.
                    Grey-white smoke is not oil, it's water... I don't know why people are having you suspect the turbo, but from my perspective it pretty much has to be a coolant leak into the engine or exhaust (which almost NEVER happens from the turbocharger, very unlikely). Has the coolant level gone down? The most common places are the lower intake gaskets and head gasket/head. Pressurizing the intake or doing a compression test should tell you which it is, and there's a tool to check content in to coolant which I think most people don't have access to.

Comment

ok, thanks for the help

No there is no socket in the no 3 cylinder, :lol: Yes this is the third engine in about a year, 1st one the harmonic balancer spun on the crank chewing the key way all to hell. Second one always had a tapping noise that I never figured out, pulled it out of my wrecked car, droped in new car, after 1st start snapped a valve. Dropped in the unkown condition motor out of the junkyard car smokes like hell. Im gonna go do the compression test and see what I get. I would be really suprised to find the turbo leaking. Im thinking most likely would be a head gasket, its just wierd that Im not getting coolant in the oil.

Comment

I secong Jason's post. Color is a good indicator here of a coolant leak. I would be willing to be it is your lower intake gaskets, seems to happen to a few guys from time to time and they exhibit the same condition.

Comment

compression test reults: 150 all around

So, 150 on both banks seems good, no leakdown. The no 5&6 plugs did have a watery look to them, so I think Jason and Greg hit it head on! Thanks guys, maybe this thing will see the road before xmas after all!

Comment

I pulled the manifolds off and didnt find anything noticably screwed up on the intake gaskets. When I do the compression test each cylinder hits about 120 on the 1st stroke and maxes at about 150 on the second, tried doing a wet test and got roughly the same results. I have another set of intake gaskets, so I guess Ill throw it back together and see what happens. Any other ideas I should try first?

Comment

ok, this is rediculous.

1. motor compression good.
                              2. intake gaskets good.
                              3. cleaned plugs. slight carbon buildup. nothing major there.
                              4. started motor smokes like a volcano.
                              5. noticed oil leaking from exhaust elbow connection to downpipe. :shock:

:evil: turbo leaking oil on exhaust side? :evil:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X