Adverse effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adverse effect

Has anyone noticed any disadvantages of using the UR pulley Ie. no dampener?
    all i hear when i tell people that i am not gonna use a dampener is how i will destroy my crank. i am a truck mechanic and trucks need them but will run without or a damaged one for a long time.
    Andrew

They look nice but are complete trash. Running without a harmonic dampener will ruin an engine sooner or later depending on crankshaft strength.

Comment

got boost? wrote: They look nice but are complete trash. Running without a harmonic dampener will ruin an engine sooner or later depending on crankshaft strength.
      thank you for stupid

it was already pointed out that crank pulleys (including balancer) are balanced independant of the crank, and the crank is balanced as are the piston+rod sets, the only thing unbalanced is the flywheel/clutch

point out one main bearing or crank failure on a vg caused by an underdrive pulley

Comment

[quote]G-E wrote:
        Originally posted by got boost?:63096
        They look nice but are complete trash. Running without a harmonic dampener will ruin an engine sooner or later depending on crankshaft strength.
        thank you for stupid

it was already pointed out that crank pulleys (including balancer) are balanced independant of the crank, and the crank is balanced as are the piston+rod sets, the only thing unbalanced is the flywheel/clutch

point out one main bearing or crank failure on a vg caused by an underdrive pulley[/quote:63096]

This has nothing to do with engine harmonics. Just because you engine is balanced does not mean it does not suffer from tortional harmonic vibration. ALL engines are a victim of this and in turn should at the very minimum run an OEM harmonic balancer.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Harmonic DAMPENERS are not designed to balance an engine, they are designed to dampen the torsional vibration of the crankshaft caused by each power impulse. the Harmonic dampener is placed at the end of the crank shaft furthest from load which is where the amplitude of the vibration is greatest. Harmonic dampeners are an engineering necessity. anyway check out my other post, I did C&P a well written article.

Comment

Not shit, but they are balanced with the assembly... Meaning putting on that underdrive shit is like eyeballing bearing clearances
            Attached Files

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Well thats just it. The name Harmonic balancer is somewhat decieving. It does nothing for balancing the engine itself. What it does is relieves the harmonics of the pistons putting sudden pressure on the crank(More or less). Sort of "balancing" the harmonics if you will :roll:

Comment

SATAN wrote: Sort of "balancing" the harmonics if you will :roll:
                I thought that is all it meant

Comment

[quote]MrwassmanNA2T wrote:
                  Originally posted by SATAN
                  Sort of "balancing" the harmonics if you will :roll:
                  I thought that is all it meant
                  Think about it tho. If that is all that it does then it wouldnt need to be balanced with the crankshaft.

Ok, nevermind. You understand what it is and what it does and why its important. Thats good enough for me.

Comment

yeah, metal isn't always perfect, especially with a layer of rubber in between it

Comment

it still needs to be balanced, even though it's meant to be a dampner the metal part needs to be spun balanced

there's no guarantee if an aftermarket pulley is even balanced properly.

Comment

Andrevas wrote: it still needs to be balanced, even though it's meant to be a dampner the metal part needs to be spun balanced

Right, it does
                        still need to be balanced. BUT it does not need to be balanced with the crank shaft.

Man somone should merge the two threads so I dont have to make the same post twice and so people can read easier.

Comment

this thread could be closed all the info is in the other one.

Comment

Andrevas wrote: it still needs to be balanced, even though it's meant to be a dampner the metal part needs to be spun balanced

I would say that the unbalanced underdrive pulley is a greater risk than the lack of vibration/oscillation damping

Comment

Info in this thread continues discussion:

http://www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2349

Comment

Working...
                              X