Piston hotness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston hotness

They're so pretty I had to post a picture or two. BRC forged pistons and total seal rings. 8.5:1 compression, Z32 rods, 1mm overbore should make it closer to 3.1L than 3.0L.

These are made out of 2618 billet aluminum, the same alloy that several thousand HP tractor-pull rigs use. It's more likely that you'd crack a head, blow the gasket and destroy the top ring LONG before damaging one of these pistons.

I got these new, but not from BRC directly. There is a special pricing group buy going on for all Z car owners through BRC to get these at "shop" pricing which is about 20% lower than regular "Racer" pricing. They want 25 people, but I don't know if that's going to happen without a lot more advertisement. If you want shop pricing now instead of finding a place with a tax ID to order them for you, you can get into that deal. Neal at BRC said he would be posting it on more Z forums sometime soon; thank Kevin for getting the ball rolling on that!

God those are sexy. You were quick draw McGraw on that ebay auction! I was about to "Buy Now".

Comment

MikeZ wrote: God those are sexy. You were quick draw McGraw on that ebay auction! I was about to "Buy Now".
      For that price I'm suprised they did not go even faster. I was out away from a PC when they were listed, I had a friend bid on them. Of course, tehpopa is the only one saving the money in the long run because they're for his engine.

Comment

damn those are sexy except for those heavy ass rods.when i weighed my det rods i almost fell over they were 756g each.if i remember correctly the piston,rod and ring combo was 1250g that was with the bearing and both nuts in place.i bought eagle esp rods from honda hater for a real good price and they are only 480g now for the je pistons that are 330g which is a far cry from the over 400 for the stockers.do you have any idea on the weight of the brc pistons?also i have herd bad things about total seal rings on turbo cars.mostly from the guys at tt.net.
        live fast,drive hard,and enjoy the ride!

Comment

I know SATAN was saying the DET rods were much beefier than the DETT rods, so they are probably a fair bit heavier. I don't see very much difference between Z31 and Z32 rods except for the pin diameter. I bet the weights are damn close, but I don't have a gram scale to throw them on.

756g is heavy as hell! I've heard mixed opinions about eagle rods recently, apparently they are now forged in china using a lower quality steel and some honda guys have been having failures?

I'll see about weighing everything before I assemble the engine.

I'm curious to know what bad things have you heard about total seal rings? I've only ever heard bad things about their gapless rings when used on boosted cars.

EDIT: these arrived today; ARP main stud kit and rod bolt kit:

Comment

Jason, I was searching Google about the possible Eagle failures and couldn't find much. I only came across dealers for Eagle stating on their website that improper torquing of the rod cap can result in failure. These rods are priced pretty well; I just don't want them to be one of those "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is" or "you get what you pay for" item. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

tlmaniac, what have you heard bad about total seal rings?

Comment

A while back they switched to having their rods forged in china. After Stevez31 told me he had an eagle rod failure on his Honda, I searched some message boards and honda-tech to find that a few people have actually had failures. This does not reflect very well on their reputation, but I really have no idea if the quality of the rods actually went down. I do know that if I were buying rods for an engine I wanted to make buttloads of power I would probably end up spending two times the money on BRC, Carrillo, Crower, or Pauter.

Comment

pistons

It's hard to tell in these images, but are there only two rings on those pistons? I can kinda see circumfrential oiler holes where the oil ring should be...
                It's RWD in reverse.

Comment

Re: pistons

j30_vg33et wrote: It's hard to tell in these images, but are there only two rings on those pistons? I can kinda see circumfrential oiler holes where the oil ring should be...
                  The oil ring groove intersects the wrist pin bore so in the images it's a little hard to see... but they are there along with the oil rings you can see sitting next to them ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X