Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Before I Order: Simple CM Exhaust Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrisw_2003 wrote: did you call them? I would make them make a new one and ship it to you free and pay for the shipping on that one back while letting you use it till you get your other one
    Yeah... causeeee I have all the power to "MAKE" him do that, and force him to pay shipping.

That's totally unreasonable/unnecessary. it's a 6 dollar bung. I ordered one from my Vibrant supplier. I actually ordered an angled and straight one and I'll be taking it to my welder to have it put in.

It's not a big enough deal to tell him to withhold the entire shipment. just sucks that I have to do that.

Water under the bridge. It would cost me more in time away from work and travel expense to have a custom exhaust made at the only shop I would trust to do such a thing at a fair price...

Comment

He is pretty darn good to work with with. Was very responsive with my order but I did not request anything further than a standard order. Always something isn't it?
      1986zxt w/ '86, 56k mile, na engine (turbo bits swapped), K&N intake, 3" CM Performance turbo-back exhaust, Eibachs, KYB shocks, Front Mount Intercooler (2.5" plumbing), Turbosmart MBC/9 lbs, recirculating BOV, ASCO plenum, dual fans, Maxima alt, Champion 3 row Radiator.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO Performance Package

Comment

1986zxt wrote: He is pretty darn good to work with with. Was very responsive with my order but I did not request anything further than a standard order. Always something isn't it?
        Yes, he's a very nice guy to deal with... Not particularly peeved as I found a way around it (just that we're getting a huge snowstorm starting to day so it makes everything difficult for this weekend)...

Always something, though.

Comment

He's a one man crew for this stuff. You have to give him a lot of credit for what he does for our community. At least you are a reasonable customer Careless. As you stated not a big deal, but pain in the ass lol.
          Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

[quote]Careless wrote:
            Originally posted by 1986zxt
            He is pretty darn good to work with with. Was very responsive with my order but I did not request anything further than a standard order. Always something isn't it?
            Yes, he's a very nice guy to deal with... Not particularly peeved as I found a way around it (just that we're getting a huge snowstorm starting to day so it makes everything difficult for this weekend)...

Always something, though.
            Yeh, good luck with that storm. A company I deal with, Affinity Online Solutions, in the Richmond Hills area in Ontarior is scrambling. I talked with several reps today. Sounds like you folks are going to get hammered along with a lot of folks in the mid-west. Be careful
            1986zxt w/ '86, 56k mile, na engine (turbo bits swapped), K&N intake, 3" CM Performance turbo-back exhaust, Eibachs, KYB shocks, Front Mount Intercooler (2.5" plumbing), Turbosmart MBC/9 lbs, recirculating BOV, ASCO plenum, dual fans, Maxima alt, Champion 3 row Radiator.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO Performance Package

Comment

Well, storm wasn't terrible. Maybe in Richmond Hill it is... that's about 25 minutes from my house. 40 minutes north got hammered. My friend can't even get his car out of his garage and he has no where to shovel the snow to as of right now. LOL.

Good enough weather for FedEx to drop off a nice box

Spoke with Dave form CM Exhaust today on the phone. He apologized for the O2 bung mishap mainly because he questioned where I wanted it (at the AIV fitting)... I ordered two bungs and will pick them up later. I'll be putting both bungs on the downpipe and just plugging the one I don't use. works for me :-)

Comment

lol @ the stock exhaust... my father who doesnt give a crap bout cars looks at the downpipe after i ripped it off today and says "que porco de merda".

(italian -> english translation "what a piece of hog shit")

Comment

well today ended in a near complete install, save for the fact that the subframe over-pipe is hitting everything; the diff, the subframe, and the chassis... and the muffler pipe doesn't completely go on, and the bracket that holds the crush clamp (crush clamps on an aftermarket exhaust?! wtf) is way to close to the cv-boot on the half-shaft.

this CM exhaust needs to be engineered with a better jig or something.

Comment

Careless wrote: well today ended in a near complete install, save for the fact that the subframe over-pipe is hitting everything; the diff, the subframe, and the chassis... and the muffler pipe doesn't completely go on, and the bracket that holds the crush clamp (crush clamps on an aftermarket exhaust?! wtf) is way to close to the cv-boot on the half-shaft.

this CM exhaust needs to be engineered with a better jig or something.
                    I am not a fan of the crush clamps either. My MSA exhaust has them on the same areas of the exhaust (granted I did not have issues hitting anything), and due to the apparently tight press-fit tolerance, I couldn't get mine to come apart after only being on the car for about a year and driven in a relatively low rust part of the country (Memphis, TN). I ended up replacing that one section with a V-band, made everything so much easier! Good luck with your exhaust.
                    1986 300ZX Turbo - Sold
                    1991 Toyota MR2 - RIP
                    2007 BMW 335i - Daily driver

Comment

well i got it in. i couldn't use the hanger that bolts to the exhaust clamps, but i had a nice 1/8th metal strap that i attached to the muffler pipe that holds it to the hanger on the frame rail that the rear diff mount hangs onto.

was a bitch to try and get it to avoid the u-joint on the aluminum driveshaft, as it's quite a bit wider. Hopefully it doesnt start banging on the exhaust the first time i hit a pot hole.

we'll see.

i couldn't really get the tips to be level either, one is like 5mm lower than the other, but when summer/spring rolls around it'll be easier to lay on my back and hammer the pipes with a rubber mallet and get them to fit a bit better.

sounds amazing :-) my neighbour from across the street was coming back from watching the 1st quarter of XLV at his friend's place and then came across the street to see what was up. he was like daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaym.

Comment

Old thread yes, curious, does this connect to the stock down pipe right off the turbo or does it bolt directly to the turbo replacing it? Hard to tell from CM pics. Has anyone dynoed the difference before and after?
                        Jeff
                        71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JSM View Post
                          Old thread yes, curious, does this connect to the stock down pipe right off the turbo or does it bolt directly to the turbo replacing it? Hard to tell from CM pics. Has anyone dynoed the difference before and after?
                          it connects right up to the elbow downpipe. at least it did on mine. I can send a picture if you want to see. I had a 2.5" SS turbo back exhaust put on my 87 2+2. pretty solid. no V-clamps or crush bends. bolts right up. but you will no longer have any of the exhaust heat shields that came on the Nissan pipes.

Bon

Comment

Thanks Bon. power difference?
                            Jeff
                            71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

I don't know yet exactly as my car was N/A and went turbo. so more power with turbo for sure, but I can't really speak for the exhaust. I can tell you that it is a nice sounding system and based on the design, it doesn't have any exhaust leaks or clamps that can be torn off. I would imagine it would have a much better power gain on a stock n/a car. it will definitely breath better than the stock system though and will be better for your turbo car, but I'd go 3" if you want better power gains.

Comment

Working...
                              X