Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]StreetFighter wrote:
    Originally posted by Dweezil
    What he said, but that's a monster! How cheap is cheap?
    That is considered a pretty damn small turbo. A 60-1 is not a great turbo.

I think a T61E or T61S with a .68AR hot side is perfect for a street driven Z. A GT35R has the exact same compressor size (61mm).

A greddy T04R is a garret T67 with a different compressor housing (still a 67mm inducer)
    A T04Z is a DBB (dual ball bearing) T67

A T67 is a moderate sized turbo, great for powerful street driven 3.0-3.5L engines.

anything larger than 71mm is a bit laggy, but makes huge power.

To put it into perspective... 1sickZ had a 67mm turbo. I've never really seen anyone use a larger turbo on a street Z31. Everyone thinks that any T4 turbo is HUGE, where in fact many T4 turbos will hardly support 400whp. I'll be using a T61S, as I think this will be the easiest way to make 400whp on pump gas, and over 500whp on C16. I believe a holset HX35 is around a 57mm inducer, which is actually very small. A 60-1 is a small turbo and inefficient compaired to the garret T series.

I would never bother with anything smaller than a 61mm turbo if I am buying it new.
    You have to remember, Not a lot of the Z31 guys are ready to give up the 2000rpm boost thresh hold. They all want full spool by 3k. When I was running the T-66 with a P trim in a .81 hotside it seemed to be a pretty damn good street turbo. A lot of the guys here are not willing to try somthing new but rather somthing that they know works because its what others have done.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

...and so is the problem with most car guys. Most people are afraid to try something bigger and crazier, because they don't want to lose "drivability"

eh, whatever. If someone is happy with a 60-1 or a holset as their "huge power setup" then more power to them. I love lag, it is a sign of what is soon to come... power overwhelming.

Honestly, Z31s would have a better reputatiuon as a serious performer if more people would start going with bigger turbos and running real boost (30+psi)

life starts at 2 bar.
      86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: Honestly, Z31s would have a better reputatiuon as a serious performer if more people would start going with bigger turbos and running real boost (30+psi)

life starts at 2 bar.
        Amen Brother

Well Satans running a 70.3mm and Im running a 74.3mm, both will be street driven so thats a start 8)
        2005 whore magnet

Comment

i ran a 61 AND a Monster holset on a nissan 2liter a few years back, the 61 gave it a little low end love and when that holset spooled you had to pull the bath plugs to drain the urine that found its way to the floor

also i have used those tial wastegates, and for the money they are the shiznite
          85 N/A 300zx (vacuum cleaner)
          95 BMW 740i (daily driver)
          85.5 Porsche 944 e-spec (sold and missed)
          69 Impala 2dr coupe (ehh)
          89 Crown Vic (frame draggin' ole ladys ride)

Comment

StreetFighter wrote:

Honestly, Z31s would have a better reputatiuon as a serious performer if more people would start going with bigger turbos and running real boost (30+psi)

life starts at 2 bar.
            62-1 comp/ 1.32 A/R t04b exhaust... 14psi and climbing fast..

Im with you all the way.

12.88 @ 114 mph.. in a 91 maxima at 14 psi

Comment

Another reco for Tial gear. That's what I ran on my FD when I got tired of fukin around with other brands. The other day some kid was bragging to his friend about his $1000 HKS wastegate, IME everything HKS makes is great and sinfully overpriced. Tial is topshelf just be carefull on feebay with bogus knock off shite. I also totally agree with previous posters about running a larger wastegate.

As for lag in general. If you've got a perfectly tuned ride with a strong bottom end with a 9-1 compression ratio(for example) it's actually fun to drive around town like a grandma but still be able to tolerate traffic(thanks to the higher compression ratio) and then light that mother fuker up with higher RPM boost when ya wanna! It's all relative..eh!
              Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

what i'd really like is a T3 for low end and a huge turbo for 3500 rpm and up. :lol: no turbo lag ever!!!

i wonder if the vg would take it?

dreaming off :evil:

Comment

VG36ET wrote: then light that mother fuker up with higher RPM boost when ya wanna! It's all relative..eh!
                  No high RPM boost for you Mr. two valve!

:lol:

Comment

84z31 wrote: what i'd really like is a T3 for low end and a huge turbo for 3500 rpm and up. :lol: no turbo lag ever!!!

To complex to do for a decent price.

Yes the VG would handle it.

Comment

i know but a guy can dream of boosted goodness can't he?

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                      Originally posted by 84z31
                      what i'd really like is a T3 for low end and a huge turbo for 3500 rpm and up. :lol: no turbo lag ever!!!

Comment

[quote]84z31 wrote: i know but a guy can dream of boosted goodness can't he?

[quote=SATAN]
                        Originally posted by 84z31

NO thats never allowed! NEVAR!

Comment

[quote]Maxmaxima91 wrote:
                          Originally posted by StreetFighter

life starts at 2 bar.
                          62-1 comp/ 1.32 A/R t04b exhaust... 14psi and climbing fast..

Im with you all the way.
                          Big housing on the hot side... but still a pretty small turbo.
                          86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

Working...
                          X