Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VERY in depth article about why 4 valves ARE better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think the benefit of electromagnetically controlled valves would be the precise timing achievable without the possibility of valve float if both a helper spring and coil were used to retract it... higher rpm and finer afr control in varying conditions (load/throttle/weather)

I wouldn't look at it as a huge rotating mass saver, it will but being as the valvetrain is fairly light, camshafts are already thin, I would stick this in a similar category as an underdrive pulley

maintenance might be another story altogether, sure you'd do away with the timing belt running camshafts but you will need some kind of gear to drive the cas wheel, and who knows how reliable in the long run the valve coils would be, we all know coil packs and solenoids fail for no obvious reason, might even be hard to detect a failing em-valve without a scope

Comment

haha, i could see them turning 2 valves off just the way they turn of cylinders

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I suppose an analogy could be that the electromagnetic valves are like 'air-injection' (similar to fuel injection).

If the air pressure and mass are known, you would open and close the valve to precisely meter air into each cylinder. The correct amount of fuel could then be injected.

Combined with DGI (direct gas injection) tuning would move to a new level.

The valve events could be shorter yet flow better. Cams are limited by grind in how fast they open so the event is longer. If the valve can be snapped open, then intake can be optimized.

I wonder if the exhaust valves could just be left to a cam though. Heat is really an issue and having a mechanical device would make more sense. The intake valves are air-cooled to a degree.

Turning off cylinders is certainly a benefit for economy. Especially when using cruise control on relatavily flat terrain. Very little power is need to maintain speed once a car is at cruising speed.
        Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

electro valves-

I read an online article a few months ago sent to me by an old work buddy about this. I thought I saved a copy but I cant find it now.

Basically this will be a reality in the next several year according to this article. There are a couple manufactures that are already into actual testing phases with this concept. If memory serves the article cited a couple Japanese companies. Honda, Toyota... I really don't recall.

The initial concept makes perfect sense to me and in the end could give the "average" car an almost infinite range of tuning variables and possibilities. The good news with that infinite thing is that the ECUs being developed are going to be much more complex than even most new cars are now to allow for the real world driving conditions and the varying "flow" needs of those conditions.

I think the whole idea could really revolutionize the car industry once proven.

Again sorry I cant find the damn article anywhere. ops:

2 or 4... Go to battle with what you have, not what you wish you had.
          Just stand back and throw money.
          Performance costs money.
          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

I don't want any regular valves... I want these valves http://www.coatesengine.com/technology.html

Comment

MachZ wrote: I don't want any regular valves... I want these valves http://www.coatesengine.com/technology.html
              Funny, my buddy and I were in the proccess of designing that setup. we spent two days figuring out different ways to do that only to find out that it had allready been invented. :cry:

Just goes to show you that whenever you think you've got somthing, chances are that its allready been thought of.
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I hate when that happens... it happens to me all of the time.

Comment

Yeah seen those things.

I was thinking about how we drive camshafts. Chain, Gear, and belt. I thought of this brilliant shaft drive way.

I asked my good engineer buddy about it, and he was like "Well, I can tell you its been done before, and your standing next to a motorcycle that uses one." ops: Like a 1940's bike :lol: . I guess it is a little harder to time a shaft driven camshaft and keep it timed

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MachZ wrote: I don't want any regular valves... I want these valves http://www.coatesengine.com/technology.html
                    Nice technology, it even keeps the oil cleaner. Great advance for turbo engines.

But it still does not get the variability that a solenoid operated valve system offers .

http://www.e4engineering.com/Articles/2 ... a+spin.htm

Seems Coates has competition.
                    Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

I like the look of that Roton setup. I'll have to look into that one some more.

Comment

this page just made the prospect of a vg30det even more tastey in my eyes.

who can argue with efficiancy?
                        Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

Comment

RobP3ZXT wrote: this page just made the prospect of a vg30det even more tastey in my eyes.

who can argue with efficiancy?
                          Your wallet might a thing to say about it. Mine always has something to say, and it is never nice.
                          Chuck Stong
                          300+ Parts and Performance owner
                          http://www.300-plus.com
                          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

oh god, I never said it was good, or even decent from a money stand point, the ET vs the DET power for buck ratio is 10x stronger in the et, but when you get down to it, in my opinion, cars are always going to be a money game, so do what you want and make yourself happy. after that be damned with what other people consider it, hell, none of us are here for the popularity of the Z31.
                            Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

Comment

RobP3ZXT wrote: oh god, I never said it was good, or even decent from a money stand point, the ET vs the DET power for buck ratio is 10x stronger in the et, but when you get down to it, in my opinion, cars are always going to be a money game, so do what you want and make yourself happy. after that be damned with what other people consider it, hell, none of us are here for the popularity of the Z31.
                              that's crazy talk, we're just long grain rice

Comment

Working...
                              X