Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEED YOUR GUYS THOUGHTS ON INTERCOOLER SETUP.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED YOUR GUYS THOUGHTS ON INTERCOOLER SETUP.......

that would be top mounted.....
    I would actually bend and form (and obviously seal) the hood for the intercooler in the space between the front crossmember and motor. I was thinking about this today b/c my radiator blew....I cant keep my car cool enough. Even with three fans going the Front Mount is just taking up too much. I even built a shroud on the bottom of the car to help (which it did a lot) b/c at highway speeds the car would start overheating. Plus I was thinking...it would be a shorter distance for the pipes. I could turn the manifold around on the mounts (if thats possible) or I could weld the TB facing forward.
    It would make for room for the radiator to get air.
    What is your opinion?!?! To me the work is not a waste of time. I think itll work as long as I do it properly. It seems like it is just too humid down here to drive my car ever...it really is though to be honest....stupid thing is dying.
    Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

i agree, you have something going on thats causing the over heating. instead of the tmic, you could get a cryo tube, go straight from turbo to tb and shoot it with co2.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
    good thing....

Comment

My womans hot ass South american(natural blonde) sister and a 12 pack of cheap Domestic beer says you need a new Thermostat Todd!
      Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

Are your fans pushers???

I know mine would overheat on the freeway because the fans were in the way. That and my timing was like 30 BTDC

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Are your fans pushers???

I know mine would overheat on the freeway because the fans were in the way. That and my timing was like 30 BTDC
          yes check timing, retarded timing can be a bigger factor than you may think

Comment

My fans are pushers. SOOOOO, would that have any bearing on it at highway speed? It stopped overheating once I made a shroud under the radiator.
            I have a new 170 degree termostat in place.........Its probably that cursed automatic transmission. I have to save up for a clutch and Im swapping it in!!!!
            I found the supposed "radiator leak" I had....it was the top radiator hose..it swelled and started cracking so it was leaking all over!!! WHAT A MESS!!!

Good think I bought that goofy stainless steel radiator hose kit. Its supposed to be permanent as far as having radiator hoses. Ive seen them used a lot on hot rods so I figured ...."why not". I will post pics when Im done putting them on. Ill have to do it tomorrow anyways.
            Thanks for the advice guys. I do appreciate it as usual.

Im also thinking that if I use a seperate cooler for the transmission, that will probably help me a little also.
            Attached Files

Comment

Do the automatic Z's have coolant from the radiator that cools them like a lot of other cars? Or are you talking about a seperate oil cooler that is in the way of the radiator.

FYI, I have a huge front mount that covers my radiator. I have a puller style fan in the engine bay on the radiator out of a ford taurus. I never have any over heating problems unless I run it REAL hard then it starts to get hot. other than that, I'm inclined to agree with everyone else. Somthing else is causing your car to over heat. Not what is blocking the rad tho.
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Yeah coolant does come from the rad to cool autos...
                http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Not to the stage where the car would be overheating badly, with everything else functioning properly... My 86 is auto, I've driven that completely balls out at 12psi with no overheating problems at all, and infact once I made a 220km trip with NO cooling fan at all! The car made the trip perfectly, the direct air flow was enough to cool the engine by itself at highway speed.

Comment

Oh, i agree with you on that part fully. When i was setting up my E-Fans, they actually were never turning on. I didn't notice until a fairly hot day

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Well it's always quite hot here, on a long trip like that aslong as I didn't stop for long periods of time it was fine. Like if I went that whole distance and stoppped at triffic lights at the end for a while, due to the current heat and lack of fan it wouldn't take long before it would start to overheat. But on the highway itself while cruising the temp didn't move on the gauge at all, and with my NA sometimes the temp would even go down while cruising at highway speeds with the e-fans switched off.

Comment

To the original subject...I would say that you really need to check out your cooling system. You may be surprised to find how much gunk and crap will be built up in the stock hoses, metal lines and radiator over the years. Flow is king, especially on these Z31s.

You may want to consider an aggressive system flush. Kits are cheap to by at the local hardware store and it wont hurt anything. My only suggestion is to make sure you flush from a couple different locations.

Air flow... To a limited degree I would agree with the idea that road speed air will take over. However, I have personally experienced the loss of an e-fan (due to wiring, my fault) on the open road on a moderate 80 degree day at cruising speeds but at high altitude (3800 feet). Believe me, my Z got hot without the extra flow capacity provided by the fans. Luckily I noticed the rise very quickly and got the issue resolved on the side of the road with little trouble.

Clutch or e-fan...don't underestimate their ability to help airflow/cooling.
                        Just stand back and throw money.
                        Performance costs money.
                        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

If you're set on going top mount, definitely post pics. I'd really like to see someone pull off a good looking TMIC setup simply because I think they're cool.
                          Funny stories!

Comment

homestar wrote: If you're set on going top mount, definitely post pics. I'd really like to see someone pull off a good looking TMIC setup simply because I think they're cool.
                            HAHAHA I think theyre cool too. I will have to draw up my idea and post it anyways I know they are not as efficient as FMICs but it was an idea to make room for air.

THE CAR ISNT OVERHEATING EXACTLY.....my thoughts on moving the transmission fluid away from the radiator( which...an automatic in south florida trust me gets stupid hot ) was just something I thought may help.....what assistance does boiling hot trans fluid give to the boiling hot radiator fluid.
                            Im going to go through all the lines today and just replace the 20 year old ones (something I shouldve done when I got the car and did the first timing belt, water pump etc etc etc) I was trying to sell it but I just cant, Im too flippin attached to it. Next week Im going to collect the rest of the parts I need for the 5speed swap.
                            I will flush it today also and get back to you guys on what happens. I have an coolant temp gauge that I need to hook up.....atleast I will know what I am running.
                            The overheating thing is only happening on the freeway, but that was solved when I welded the shroud I made to the underside of the car.
                            I have a temp adjustable relay from another electric fan that I will hook up too. Right now I have two fans running on their own relays I hooked up real quick.
                            I have to go back to bed......we had a crazy ass xmas party last night.....code enforcment came b/c I was outside with my brother in law learning how to smoke the back tire on my bike at 1am.

300zxt, thanks for that link...albeit TWICE :lol: So far I have done all that and everything is fine....I will recheck all that stuff and my clamps, but I am going to use OR-Zman's suggestion of flushing it.

WHAT IF THERE IS A LOT OF MINERAL DEPOSITS? I read somewhere that if you use (uhhhhhhh WTF IS IT CALLED!!!! brainfart) the stuff you put in your dishwasher once a month to clean it that itll remove a lot of deposits then you flush it two days later? I cant remember what the heck it is called, damnit.

Comment

speaking of which......I HOPE YOU GUYS HAVE A SMOKIN X-MAS!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X