Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do you need to swap front X-member for NA-T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you need to swap front X-member for NA-T?

I just picked up a decent 86 NA hardtop for cheap, and it seemed like a PITA to swap the X-member if it is just something I could plasma cut off the NA one or something. I've never done a conversion, but I have 2 turbo parts cars and a crapload of performance parts ready for this thing.

Also... NA cars are slow as balls. I could never be happy with thing without some sort of serious power adder.
    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

I've done the n/a to T swap. I thought the same thing and found out the hard way. Doing the xmember swap is actually VERY easy so long as the engine isn't in the car. You need to swap crossmembers because the driver's side engine mount WILL NOT clear the turbo.

Here's a few pics of exactly what the problem is.

this is from the back in an n/a

and with the turbo crossmember. you'll notice that the motor mount is moved way up.

you'll also have to modify the stock motor mount so that it clears the oil fitting:

you can also see the full gallery of my work here
    http://zcarwiki.com/gallery/v/homestar/
    Funny stories!

Comment

oh and this picture helps to demonstrate exactly what the problem is.

Funny stories!

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: I just picked up a decent 86 NA hardtop for cheap, and it seemed like a PITA to swap the X-member if it is just something I could plasma cut off the NA one or something. I've never done a conversion, but I have 2 turbo parts cars and a crapload of performance parts ready for this thing.

Also... NA cars are slow as balls. I could never be happy with thing without some sort of serious power adder.
        Now just imagine living at a mile above sea level where the turbo z31's up here are just as fast as the NAz31's down there! :shock:
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

homestar wrote: I've done the n/a to T swap. I thought the same thing and found out the hard way. Doing the xmember swap is actually VERY easy so long as the engine isn't in the car. You need to swap crossmembers because the driver's side engine mount WILL NOT clear the turbo.

Here's a few pics of exactly what the problem is.

this is from the back in an n/a

and with the turbo crossmember. you'll notice that the motor mount is moved way up.

you'll also have to modify the stock motor mount so that it clears the oil fitting:

just so you know... the oil feed is not a pipe fitting.. i hope you dont plan on running the car like that.

Comment

Swapping the crossmembers with the engine still in the car is not as hard as it looks. I've done it a couple times. Once the front control arms and PS rack are removed, it comes right out. To hold the engine in place, you could place a floor jack under the transmission or place a 4x4 piece of timber over the engine, having it rest on the quarter panels, and strap the engine to the timber.
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            2000 Porsche Boxster
            2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

off topic

wholly rust batman!!!!

Comment

thanks. Perfect explanation... I think I might actually make a turbo relocation pipe and use a T4 flange... put the turbo up front.
                86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

Comment

[quote]Chris86NA2T wrote:
                    Originally posted by homestar

just so you know... the oil feed is not a pipe fitting.. i hope you dont plan on running the car like that.
                    yes, get the correct banjo bolt fitting to be safe

Comment

excelent info, ive been kicking the idea of the project around as well, my question is, i was thinking about building a custom exhaust manifold and placing the turbo up front, what will the situation be as far as the oil lines are concerned? or should i just go ahead and move them while im at it?
                      85 N/A 300zx (vacuum cleaner)
                      95 BMW 740i (daily driver)
                      85.5 Porsche 944 e-spec (sold and missed)
                      69 Impala 2dr coupe (ehh)
                      89 Crown Vic (frame draggin' ole ladys ride)

Comment

operationcougar wrote: excelent info, ive been kicking the idea of the project around as well, my question is, i was thinking about building a custom exhaust manifold and placing the turbo up front, what will the situation be as far as the oil lines are concerned? or should i just go ahead and move them while im at it?
                        Move them while you are at it? You would have to move them at that point. You would just need to make sure you kept you turbo well above the inlet, of the oil drain, on the oil pan so gravity can do its job to get the oil out of there. As for the oil supply. you would prolly have to run an earls stainless braided line or somthing to the turbo.
                        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

oh and for the record, ignore what you see with my oil fittings. That was probably one of the dumbest ideas I've ever had. Once upon a time i got it in my head that with enough hose clamps and cheap pipe fittings, i could get oil to my turbo.

It worked, only it leaked about a quart a week. I now have good steel braided lines with AN fittings.
                          Funny stories!

Comment

So youre running AN fittings completely now instead of the banjo bolts?
                            I was debating doing that with the stock oil cooler setup but didnt know if it would cause any kind of issues due to the smaller passage ways the banjo bolts create for the oil lines...I suppose it wouldnt really cause any problems would it :idea:
                            Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Comment

bemis wrote: Swapping the crossmembers with the engine still in the car is not as hard as it looks. I've done it a couple times. Once the front control arms and PS rack are removed, it comes right out. To hold the engine in place, you could place a floor jack under the transmission or place a 4x4 piece of timber over the engine, having it rest on the quarter panels, and strap the engine to the timber.
                              I know people do it all the time but the idea of tons of metal dangling over my head by a 4x4 just gives me the creeps.
                              http://www.vgpowered.com
                              Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

Working...
                              X