Engine Cooling issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Cooling issues

This would be a little bit of a pain in the ass but, you could pull the intercooler out and just replace it with a lenght of pipe just to get the core out of the way. Take if for a cruise and see if it helps. If it does then you know you DEFFINATLY have air flow issues.

Try not to boost of course, just your normal highway cruisnig
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I would suggest two things that are simple and cheap as a remedy to try....

one is increasing the water content to 75% or more depending on climate (read the chart for subzero performance at percentage first).... and perhaps a bit of redline water whetter

second is a sheetmetal/fiberglass/plastic duct or shroud from the new airdam opening to the chassis on all sides to guide air to the radiator without allowing any to escape around it

then you can also try a small puller fan on the back of the intercooler, not super mega duty one just a reasonably small oem fan from any 4-cyl car

Comment

I would agree with GE, a shroud and/or a fan on the cooler may be the resolution. Definitely sounds like an air flow problem to me.

One other thought...do you still have the splash guard under the engine? I know it is counter intuitive, but removing it can actually hurt cooling performance.
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Comment

Basically it keeps air turbulence in the e-bay down and helps direct the air flow back along the engine and out the back of the e-bay.

Not having it typically wont make a huge difference but if you are having cooling and what sounds like airflow problems it may be something to try if you can find one easily.

The summer before last I was having some minor colling issues on hot days while at highway speeds after removing and tossing the stock splash guard. I also noticed that on windy days the e-fans were kicking on quicker and staying on longer. I figured it was due to the air turbulence in the e-bay.

I made a splash guard out of stainless sheet and 1" aluminum angle for strength. Very basic really, but it does help to keep the turbulence in the e-bay down and virtually eliminated the problem for me.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Comment

How come you're having problems with air flow when people with vertical mount radiators and intercoolers in front of them dont? You'd think a vertical mound rad would get even less direct air flow, yet people with that setup dont seem to have any problems?
                http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

I assume the Maxima elec fan is a puller not a pusher? i.e. its mounted on the engine side of the radiator. right? So you eliminated the factory fan shroud. So now you have a car with no splash guard and no shroud. So the faster you go the cooling air is being redirected under the engine because of no splash guard and around the engine because of no shroud. Can you reinstall the shroud and keep the Maxima fan? With the severe angle of the z31 radiator the Maxima fan is forcing air down, not back.
                  1986 n/a 300zx stick

Comment

splash gaurd

I have one from my 87 parts car, it's yours, shipped for $25
                    What, me worry? It just takes a little time, patience and thought!

Comment

I believe i have a spare slash gaurd off my 88 parts car. if somebody is interested i'll let it go for less money than it takes to fabricate one out of sheetmetal.

PM me if somebody wants it.
                      My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                      My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                      207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Or you could just pull that intercooler real quick and replace with a pipe and hit the highway. Would tell you right off the bat if you IC is blocking air. That and you wouldnt really have to fab somthing up only to find out that wasnt the problem in the first place. If that turned out to be the case.
                        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Comment

Comment

WarOnFlesh I understand the Maxima fans are self contained with a shroud but the fans are angled down along with the shroud surrounding them are they not? My thought with the factory shroud reinstalled was to redirect the air straight back to the front of the engine or make something that would move the fans vertical in relation to the engine. I would think with fans blowing directly back rather than down, fans would rarely if ever, turn on while on the freeway. The force of air thru the radiator directed straight to the front of the engine would be enough to stabilize temp. I agree that the splash guard will help because air will no longer exit under the engine and that by itself could cure the issue until summer.
                              1986 n/a 300zx stick

Comment

Working...
                              X