oh %@#@!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh %@#@!

Okay, so i just realized i have no new gaskets for the crossover pipe between the exhaust manifolds! Napa said they'd have one in a week, and so far they were the only parts store i've called that had any idea what I was talking about. The dealership in schottsbluff (which sucks ass, sent me wrong parts last time) didn't know what i was looking for and the dealer in North Platte said they'd take 7-10 days. I really pressed for time here, how bad of an idea is it to reuse the old gaskets? I have new gaskets everywhere else...
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

They are the triangle metal ones right? I reused mine... No leaks what so ever

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll just reuse them then. I'm far more worried about the manifolds themselves leaking because of this FUBAR'd stud on the passenger side then ended up being drilled out and retapped. Damn things...

Don't have any expirence with reusing gaskets really, so it's great to have some people to ask advice from.
        My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
        My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
        207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Yes you can reuse the one you are asking about.
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

If you really want to get a new gasket on there:

1) buy a sheet of header gasket material, like $10-20, it's like a 1' x 3' sheet.

2) Trace out the gasket you want to cut.

3) Use a dremel or heavy-duty scissors to cut out the gasket

4) Enjoy!
            Attached Files
            It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

On a related note conserning those gasket maker sheets, my friend recently needed a turbo to downpipe gasket for his turbo setup on his miata so he tried to use one of those sheets of header gasket material to make one himself, it worked good for about 2 weeks then it just totally disintegrated. Maybe they cant handle the turbo temps., I dont know, never had much exp. with the stuff.

Comment

Z31SPL wrote: On a related note conserning those gasket maker sheets, my friend recently needed a turbo to downpipe gasket for his turbo setup on his miata so he tried to use one of those sheets of header gasket material to make one himself, it worked good for about 2 weeks then it just totally disintegrated. Maybe they cant handle the turbo temps., I dont know, never had much exp. with the stuff.
                It would work on the cross over pipe because there is a "sleeve" that slides into the manifold which holds all the pressure. the gasket would just do the sealing part of it. On a down pipe or somthing along those lines you are right it would just fall apart after a while because it is just two flat pieces of metal (flanges) sandwiching the gasket.

Comment

what do you use between the turbing housing and downpipe for a gasket. i can't remember what i did with mine when i tore it apart. and i have been trying to decide what material to use. aluminum will burn up.

Comment

84z31 wrote: what do you use between the turbing housing and downpipe for a gasket. i can't remember what i did with mine when i tore it apart. and i have been trying to decide what material to use. aluminum will burn up.
                    They usually just bolt the DP to the turbo. NO gasket. They say you can do this when you mate two cast iron surfaces together

Comment

yeah, my turbo and elbow have no gasket. But my downpipe has one of the donut gaskets i think

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

thanks. i could not remember if there was one or not. cool. now if i could just get those two broken bolts out. :evil:

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                        Originally posted by 84z31
                        what do you use between the turbing housing and downpipe for a gasket. i can't remember what i did with mine when i tore it apart. and i have been trying to decide what material to use. aluminum will burn up.
                        They usually just bolt the DP to the turbo. NO gasket. They say you can do this when you mate two cast iron surfaces together

Comment

Metal gasket typically can be reused. I carry most all gaskets in stock, so if anyone needs one right away, I can mail them out. Same goes for hoses, and a whole bunch of other parts.
                          Chuck Stong
                          300+ Parts and Performance owner
                          http://www.300-plus.com
                          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                          X