• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything you want to know about NGK part #'s in here

Just click the link for a wealth of knowledge

http://www.mcstuff.com/dcm/ms/2006catlo ... _PLUGS.pdf
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Only BC and BK series (14mm, 5/8") NGK copper plugs fit our heads. On a side note I have been unable to find a heat range colder than 7 in either series (at least inside the US).

Linked in the turbo faq:

Comment

Do you have to do the BCPR8?

I was gonna run either the BPR9ES or the BR9ES. There is no C indicating a 5/8" hex, I just assumed that by not having the C it would automatically be 5/8" or 13/16". Will a plug that has a hex that is 3/16" larger not fit down the hole then? Never actually taken the time to measure.

I wanted the bPr9es because it has the projected insulator but being 3 ranges colder than stock the projected insulator might be overkill.

Comment

SATAN wrote: Do you have to do the BCPR8?

I was gonna run either the BPR9ES or the BR9ES. There is no C indicating a 5/8" hex, I just assumed that by not having the C it would automatically be 5/8" or 13/16". Will a plug that has a hex that is 3/16" larger not fit down the hole then? Never actually taken the time to measure.
        Well if it's just B it's 13/16". I really don't know if you would be able to, but I would guess not. See if you can get a 13/16 socket down in there... I THINK I remember trying this and it would not fit, but check for yourself. I know my craftsman 5/8" socket lightly scrapes the sides around the plug when I use it instead of the OEM spark plug tool.

If it does fit, maybe it's just my spark plug socket. I'll try it tonight if you don't.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Well if it's just B it's 13/16". I really don't know if you would be able to, but I would guess not. See if you can get a 13/16 socket down in there... I THINK I remember trying this and it would not fit, but check for yourself. I know my craftsman 5/8" socket lightly scrapes the sides around the plug when I use it instead of the OEM spark plug tool.

If it does fit, maybe it's just my spark plug socket. I'll try it tonight if you don't.
          A 13/16 will not fit.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Dammit. well guess I better stare at that chart some more and figure out what the hell to get. Or I could just get those ZEX plugs and then I know they will fit and be the range that I want. I'm willing to bet that someone like NGK or Denso makes those ZEX plugs anyways. But, I really dont like the idea of paying 5 bucks for a damn spark plug.

Comment

SATAN wrote: But, I really dont like the idea of paying 5 bucks for a damn spark plug.
              Especially when you don't know if it will offer any advantage over a 7 heat range. Sure... you're heading into another whole ballgame with at least 200-300hp over my 84.. .

I would gladly switch for testing purposes if I knew there was any "better" plug to use with my setup than the BCPR7ES-11 I have been using, and had great results with. Or even if I had something to test. I wonder if autolite or the other name-brands make copper plugs colder than the corresponding NGK 7 range.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                Originally posted by SATAN
                But, I really dont like the idea of paying 5 bucks for a damn spark plug.
                Especially when you don't know if it will offer any advantage over a 7 heat range. Sure... you're heading into another whole ballgame with at least 200-300hp over my 84.. .

I would gladly switch for testing purposes if I knew there was any "better" plug to use with my setup than the BCPR7ES-11 I have been using, and had great results with. Or even if I had something to test. I wonder if autolite or the other name-brands make copper plugs colder than the corresponding NGK 7 range.
                I would gladly pay 5 dollars for a plug for cheap insurance to make sure the plug doesnt explode again causing another engine rebuild. I would rather start with a plug that is too cold and fouls out that I can replace rather than too hot and explodes causing this.

Comment

Well, I only ever melted one of the 7's... and that was on the spray with what was probably a rather lean/hot condition. It damaged both piston and head... The broken off electrode was actually embedded in the flat portion of the head.

Running on 5 cylinders and I still won that race; booya!

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: It damaged both piston and head... The broken off electrode was actually embedded in the flat portion of the head.
                    +1^ thats what all of those ground down spots are on that piston. I wanted to see how far down the electrode imbedded itself into the piston. I had to re polish the head again to say the least. SO this is why I will be trying to run a range of 9 when running the race gas and high HP apps.

Comment

SATAN wrote: +1^ thats what all of those ground down spots are on that piston. I wanted to see how far down the electrode imbedded itself into the piston. I had to re polish the head again to say the least. SO this is why I will be trying to run a range of 9 when running the race gas and high HP apps.
                      Wiat... so you do plan to run race plugs though, right? The non-resistor, shaved electrode type.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                        Originally posted by SATAN
                        +1^ thats what all of those ground down spots are on that piston. I wanted to see how far down the electrode imbedded itself into the piston. I had to re polish the head again to say the least. SO this is why I will be trying to run a range of 9 when running the race gas and high HP apps.
                        Wiat... so you do plan to run race plugs though, right? The non-resistor, shaved electrode type.
                        Well, I'm still researching that too. Electromotive recomends running insulated wire for interference but they dont mention anything about a resistor plug. I want to run a resistor-less plug but dont know if I should yet. When you say the shaved electrode type do you mean the surface discharge type like on the diagram in the link I posted? It appears to have NO electode prodruding or any grouning strap electrode either. Is this what you are talking about?

I think this page just answered my question kinda. kinda like those plugs too. seem a little over kill though that and 10 bucks each ouch. still cheap insurance though.
                        http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... D%26sa%3DG

Comment

Working...
                        X