How much do you guys rev?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you guys rev?

After reading lots of US Forums I often hear people talk about 6k-6.5krpm shifts as "crazy". My shifting point is about 7200rpm's, and rev limiter is set to 7500rpm's and I think that's pretty moderate. I've never owned a car that couldn't rev 6500rpm.

So, Where is the rev limiter set in your Z? And in your Daily-driver or other cars?

http://Jocke.z31turbo.com 11.842s car
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfRwqC3jkAk
    If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?

I run mine up to 7k at the track.
    imagination is a virtue

Comment

6k.

theres no more power after that anyway. no turbo yet and it runs out of power after 5500.

Comment

You definetly should have aftermarket cams/heads/intake work to go above 6k at all...My Z just fell on it's face above like 5.5k....
        It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

I only rev to about 6 then I shift when I am having fun.

Comment

I'm researching and seeing if I can wrap it up to 8.5k rpm's. Built engine
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

rev-limiter? it`s at the end of my right leg...

i`ve bounced it off 8k a few times, but it still don`t make power past 5.5k - 6k

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
              good thing....

Comment

84z31 wrote: 6k.

theres no more power after that anyway. no turbo yet and it runs out of power after 5500.
                I totally agree with my NA. Falls flat on it's face at 5600. Any more than that is just noise and vibration, no real power. I ran it to like 6100 once on a dragstrip, and i felt like i'd kicked a puppy or something.
                My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Yeah, I Shift @ 6K. after doesn't do much

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Huge ported heads and intake manifolds help that 6k limit out.
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I'll usually hit 6900-7000rpm in first and then shift at 6600-6700 on the 2-3 and 3-4. With the cam timing advanced just a couple degrees there's no point in shifting much higher, and past that I believe the turbine is choking it at higher boost (hence the large falloff in torque if you look at my dyno graph).

On the street I'm usually conservative and rarely take it over 6500rpm.

Your shift points will VERY MUCH depend on your engine/setup specifically, I don't think others can really give you advice unless they're experienced and looking right at your dyno graph or side-by-side ET's. A stock motor falls on its face about the same RPM that my 84 is hitting peak horsepower.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: On the street I'm usually conservative and rarely take it over 6500rpm.
                        :shock: I am sure that most of us would like to even be able to be that "conservative". :wink: You crack me up man.

Agreed, shift rpm really depends on the car and the build. There are a lot of "little" things that can make it vary by a couple hundred or so.

hehehe....6500...conservative....still cracking up over that...sorry man. We can just call it small rpm envy. 8)
                        Just stand back and throw money.
                        Performance costs money.
                        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

My 86T makes power up till 6.5k - 7k, I just dont think USDM Z31's rev as high from the factory for whatever reason.
                          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

300zxt wrote: My 86T makes power up till 6.5k - 7k, I just dont think USDM Z31's rev as high from the factory for whatever reason.
                            AUS got the higher spec euro cams, right?

I'll tell you this... There is no almost differences in the tuning in terms of timing or fuel. Taris Blue's car exhibited the typical bahavior of no power above ~5600RPM as I remember riding in it. The same is true for USDM NA cars. The falloff was fairly sudden and dramatic; you can see it in a lot of dyno graphs. Once we installed the schneider cams (with adjustable gears on +3 degrees) and gutted plenum it was a totally different animal. It feels perfectly flat in power from 5K straight to stock fuel cut of 6450rpm. Just a guess here, but the cams are the one and only notable difference tht I can think of. Same lift but 10 degrees longer on exhaust and 12 degrees longer on intake duration.

Comment

Yeah the cams are the same as the euro spec, which would definately explain the difference. Interesting none the less...
                              http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Working...
                              X