Acceptable IC pressure drop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceptable IC pressure drop?

I'm just curious what peoples opinions are on acceptable boost pressure drop for an intercooler setup. What are your experiences post intercooler install? Basically I'm just curious what is an acceptable pressure drop post intercooler install running stock boost, aswell as at increased boost levels. I have about a 1psi pressure drop at stock boost, so it's running at 5psi-ish which I'm told by a friend is too much for such a low level of boost. I'm wondering if I have a boost leak somewhere or if something else is up or if my friend is full of crap lol I always thought that 1-2psi pressure drop at any boost level was about normal?
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

2 psi is a standard spec .
    you would have more drop if you ic was too large for your application or too large of inlet size.
    Andrew

Comment

1PSI is pretty typical at stock boost, nothing to worry about. Just the extra piping can cause part of that. If you raise the boost and get a substantially higher pressure drop it might be cause for concern.

Comment

Can someone tell me why there is a pressure drop? Fluid dynamics says that the system will just fill up with compressed air till it reaches the pressure defined by the wastgate. Is it the pressure change caused by the contracting of the air as it cools, combined with the restriction of the air passing through the fins that causes the drop, since the wastegate reference is at the turbo outlet?

300zxt, how are you measuring the drop, by plumbing a boost gauge before and after the intercooler and comparing the diference? When i installed my IC, i noticed miniscule change to my boost pressure (like

Comment

Liam86t wrote: Is it the pressure change caused by the contracting of the air as it cools, combined with the restriction of the air passing through the fins that causes the drop, since the wastegate reference is at the turbo outlet?
          that's exactly why there's a pressure drop. The solution is obviously to reference the boost level behind the intercooler
          Funny stories!

Comment

[quote]homestar wrote:
            Originally posted by Liam86t
            Is it the pressure change caused by the contracting of the air as it cools, combined with the restriction of the air passing through the fins that causes the drop, since the wastegate reference is at the turbo outlet?
            that's exactly why there's a pressure drop. The solution is obviously to reference the boost level behind the intercooler
            well... depending. If you want the reading your engine is actually seeing then yes, but if you want your wastegate to respond faster and not have the chance for as much of a boost spike then do it as close to the turbo as possible.
            Attached Files
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Working...
            X