X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The response I got from schneider bout my incorrect cams

Please return cams to us so we can check them out Jerry C

Jon Martin wrote:
    Please help me. I have a dilema with some of you cams.

I have a 1985 nissan 300zx turbo that is heavily modified. I am running
    Schneider regrind cams for this car. Grind number is 270-62H. On the cam
    card supplied it says that at .050" at tappet the intake lobe should open at
    5 degrees before TDC and it should close at 39 degrees ABDC. I adjusted the
    intake lobe to open at 5 degree BTDC(had to advance about 1.5 degrees on the
    passenger side and .5 on driver side). The problem is that I am missing some
    durration. With the driver cam set to open at 5 BTDC it now closes at 26.5
    ABDC. I'm missing 12.5 degrees of durration on the driver cam. On the
    passenger cam it is set to open at 5 BTDC but this one closes at 30 ABDC.
    I'm missing 9 degrees on the passenger cam. Now if it were 1 or 2 maybe even
    3 degrees I could understand However 12.5 seems a little large.

I also noticed that while degreeing in the cam, I had my dial indicator
    set at .010" on the base circle. As I rotated the cam just before it came up
    on the lobe it dipped down to .007"(.003" difference) telling me that my
    base circles are possibly to large and are potentially holding my valves
    open ever so slightly.

Can you please help me and shed some light on my situation. I have
    heard great things about the products that Schneider supplies to its
    customers and would love to get some feed back on this situation and what I
    could do to get cams that are correct.

Thank you for your time concerning this matter.
    Jon martin

P.S. I have a write up on Z31performance.com for degreeing in the cams on a
    VG30E nissan engine if you would care to read it.

http://www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24194#24194

P.S.S. I tried sending this through the option on your website but got no
    conformation that it had been sent. Just so you know there may be more of
    this exact same email floating around at Schneider.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

I guess I was just hoping for a little more feed back. Or maybe some customer support of a little greater magnitude than that. I belive for my next set of cams I will be going elswhere.

Thank you Schneider. :shock:

I guess on the brighter side of thing, at least they didnt just tell me to fuck off?

Comment

hrmmmmm

Ive always had good experiences with the guys at Schenider.

Keep us updated.
      2005 whore magnet

Comment

At least you caught the problem and its getting taken care of.

I think they screwed mine up also. Same grind as yours but it pulls
        19-20in of vacuum and doesnt really lope.
        imagination is a virtue

Comment

satan ..... you need to remove the hydraulic lifter to be sure you are getting a true reading.. you need a solid lifter if you are going to measure or the spring can shrink the lifter unless it is pressurized (and even then the speed partially helps prevent shrinkage)

and what I was trying to say in my earlier post is regarding the cam lobe profile, I remember something about jwt having a multi-facetted lobe which isn't the typical egg shape, and like I said I don't know what shneider does to theirs but it might not be a perfect egg either

the problem with the non-egg lobe is you can't use the low lift to center the cam, you need to use the upper end and find the curve and divide/average the difference

Comment

Satan - DIdn't your home resurfaced lifters turn out like shite???

I dunno, THey seem like good people and I'd be willing to bet they'll take care of it. I hope they do or they won't be c'ing any of my money.

MY father was saying that reground cams where shite long before I was born but coughing up $500-600+ for fresh billet cams(with limited grinds) is hard on mosts peoples wallets!
            Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

What is the listed intake duration at .050 camlift on your cam card? My cam card and the picture of Jasons on redz31.com for the 270-62H grind lists 214 degrees. If you are measuring 5 deg BTDC + 180 deg from TDC to BDC + 26.5 deg ABDC = 211.5 deg. Only 2.5 deg difference. I think your mistake is the cam card lists the .050 lift intake opening at -5 deg BTDC. (Note the negative sign) This is actually 5 deg ATDC. The intake would then close at 36.5 deg ABDC vs 39 on the card.

Comment

G.E. Go reread how I did it. Again as I have allready told you, I measured off of the lifter body and not the top of the lifter. I even show a picture of this. This way the lifter CANNOT compress. Not like it would anyways the spring in the dial indicator is so damn sensitive that......whatever. The cam is not a perfect egg shape I am aware of this. This is why you measure at .050" that way you are not trying to measure the shallow opening and closing ramps of the cam.

VG36ET- I am not useing the lifters that I "rebuilt" (not resurfaced) I am using good lifters that I bought from Jason that work great.

Chuck86NA2T wrote: What is the listed intake duration at .050 camlift on your cam card? My cam card and the picture of Jasons on redz31.com for the 270-62H grind lists 214 degrees. If you are measuring 5 deg BTDC + 180 deg from TDC to BDC + 26.5 deg ABDC = 211.5 deg. Only 2.5 deg difference. I think your mistake is the cam card lists the .050 lift intake opening at -5 deg BTDC. (Note the negative sign) This is actually 5 deg ATDC. The intake would then close at 36.5 deg ABDC vs 39 on the card.
                This here makes perfect fricken sence. Dammit! Chuck, thank you VERY much for posting that up! Had you never had posted that up I would have completely over looked that :shock: After looking at the card again that makes perfect sence. The cam is still slightly off but within tolerances I can deal with now.

Either way, Chuck you dont even work for Scheider i'm assuming and still you took the time to look at the email I sent them and found the flaw and pointed it out. Why couldnt they give good customer support and pay attention and point out the simple mistake I had made? It would have saved me money from shipping them out and saved them money for having to inspect the cam and it would have saved me down time. Granted I didnt ship them out but still.

See, This is why I need you guys. I'm smart but goddammit i'm still just a mere human!

Comment

nice :lol:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

SATAN wrote: I'm smart but goddammit i'm still just a mere human!
                    Thats why we are here sharing information and ideas, is it not? Perfect example of why a board like this can benefit all. 8)
                    Just stand back and throw money.
                    Performance costs money.
                    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Doesn't the passenger side have a few degrees offset anyways? Hence the left and right cam gears..
                      vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                      2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

grahfz wrote: Doesn't the passenger side have a few degrees offset anyways? Hence the left and right cam gears..
                        Yes but that was allready taken into consideration when russ made the gears for everyone. He states in his directions NOT to try to correct for it as he lost HP trying to do that, and the gears allready have this taken care of.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X