Updated pics of dual pass radiator installed end of thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated pics of dual pass radiator installed end of thread

I pulled my old radiator out (now for sale, see classifieds) I started mocking up the new one. It is going to sit in the same location as the old one. It is the same size 27"x19" however, it is thicker and the in and outs are in slightly different places. Very snug fit too. The one on the bottom shouldnt be a problem but the one on the top I am going to have to move. I do not recomend doing this project with this radiator because... well... its a pain in the ass. I had to pull the whole front of the car off just to get the radiator in to see what needs to change. I had to cut part of the car by the core support for the new inlet. Dont have pics of that but I do have some.
    This is the new radiator. You can see the difference in the in and outs. Use your imagination until I get pic of it installed.

This is what I had to do to the car just to mock the radiator up.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

I can definitely see how that inlet could be a pain in the ass. Best of luck on the install.

Are you going to weld on some mounting tabs to use the stock mount locations or take another route?
    Just stand back and throw money.
    Performance costs money.
    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

bet you wish you had the extra inch now eh?

G-E ftw

Comment

G-E wrote: bet you wish you had the extra inch now eh?

G-E ftw
        HAHAHAHAHA! Na, I'll take the cooling capacity. I woulda had to move shit around even if it was an inch narrower. Like I said " I'll make it fit." Thats funny though! :lol:

OR-Zman. I'll probably go another route I just havnt got that far yet. More concerned with getting the plumbing worked out first.

Comment

:shock: That's looking very nice. keep us updated.
          1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Comment

What are you gonna to about that second radiator cap?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: What are you gonna to about that second radiator cap?
              Cut it off and weld it shut.

Comment

Jeez bro, I'll pay you to work on my projects..hehe. That's gonna be bad ass..how much?

In all honesty your still not going to be as cramped as a stock Z32 VG30DETT!
                Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

aww...isn't that a cute little baby turbo....

Looks like quite a project. I hope it stays cool for you. What do you plan to do with this insane car you've created? And how long before it's broke in and we get to see a dyno or a dragstrip pass?

Looks very nice, my compliments. Good luck with the inlet relocation.
                  My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                  My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                  207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Well, unfortunatly there has been nothing but snow and slush and just shit conditions out for about the past month. I REFUSE do drive my Z in that crap. Thats just asking for trouble.

Getting a car done at the end of the year is prolly the worst time for me cause I cant go out and drive it. With the dyno numbers i'm gonna take it real slow because I cant afford to try to tune for max power right off the bat and blow it up. If I was just trying to make 4-500 that would be different but when you get up to the 700+whp out of a 3 liter shit can go wrong a LOT faster!

I hope it stays cool, Its damn near double the radiator and its aluminum to boot. I wont have any problems with relocating the inlet. Except that I have to do it at work.

What do I plan on doing with this insaine car you ask? Well... try my hardest not to wreck the damn thing. Get it into the 9's. and then keep it till I die.

Comment

Hah. And here i'm amazed with my pathetic maybe 15 second car...

I just wondered what you are setting it up for. I've toured much of Denver's surrounding area in my father's MG (not even remotely fast, but fun in it's own unique way) so I know first hand how fun the twisty roads in CO can be. I wondered if it was these roads you intend to play on or if this car was going to be a dragstrip based vehicle, or just what form of motorsport you were most interested in.

I wish i had a beater to drive in winter.... :cry:
                      My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                      My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                      207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: Hah. And here i'm amazed with my pathetic maybe 15 second car...

I just wondered what you are setting it up for. I've toured much of Denver's surrounding area in my father's MG (not even remotely fast, but fun in it's own unique way) so I know first hand how fun the twisty roads in CO can be. I wondered if it was these roads you intend to play on or if this car was going to be a dragstrip based vehicle, or just what form of motorsport you were most interested in.

I wish i had a beater to drive in winter.... :cry:
                        Dont know if you have been paying attention to my progress or not but one of my things is that its not going to be strictly a drag car. Everyone keeps telling me to run a solid rear axle. If I was building JUST a drag car I would do that. But as you stated, there are lots of twisty roads here so... Right now the power level that I am aimed at is for drag racing(cause that the only track we have) but that can be changed with a simple smaller turbo swap.

Comment

I was going to put my 3 cents worth in but then I saw that engine and forgot what I was going to say :missing emoticon for jaw drops:

Comment

well, when i restored panteras, which were/are notorious for their cooling problems, the fix was an aluminum radiator that was thicker and had 2 spal fans on it..... and presto!! :shock: cooling problem aleviated!! everything will be better than b4. just need to get it installed.

Comment

jn1cz wrote: I was going to put my 3 cents worth in but then I saw that engine and forgot what I was going to say :missing emoticon for jaw drops:
                              Yeah, in that pic you can see the crank angle sensor I've been telling you about for the Electromotive. Thats not a really good pic of the engine bay. Cant really see whats going on too well. I just wanted a pic with out the radiator in there.

Oh, and VG36ET- I paid $220 for the radiator shipped. dimensions are 27" x 19" x 3" core = 2.25" thick.

Never really had a cooling problem before unless it was after a 1/4 mile run then it got a little toasty. SO now I get to stuff that beyatch in there. It'll be great like parapalegic ping pong! :shock:

Comment

Working...
                              X