Nitrous on an NA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrous on an NA

I know... I know... Everyone says go turbo... But honestly, Id prefer the nitrous. I have experience with it, and IMO its easier to setup.

What kind of shot are you guys using on your stock motors? 60? 75? How long can a stock motor (in good shape) hold up against a 75 shot? I read some posts about people putting 100+ shots in turbo motors, but that makes me nervous. Im not looking for a ton of HP/TQ gain, but some would be nice.

100 is no problem on a good condition VG regardless of aspiration.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

As long as you keep the fuel in check you can alot.The stock Turbo vg is rated for what 450-500 stock internals. I would imagine the na would be close to that.
      1986 Current build
      HX35/40 60mm wheel,480cc injectors,nistune, spearco 2-221,6 puck,walbro fp,solid cross and diff,jason motor mounts,poly everywhere else.

Comment

yeah, for sure

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

just make sure that the floorpans are j-spec so that if the danger to manifold sensor comes on, you wont lose them if you push the nitrous button. The floorpan failure causes an adverse condition that requires you to replace the piston rings.
          Funny stories!

Comment

Sp4rt4n wrote: I know... I know... Everyone says go turbo... But honestly, Id prefer the nitrous. I have experience with it, and IMO its easier to setup.

What kind of shot are you guys using on your stock motors? 60? 75? How long can a stock motor (in good shape) hold up against a 75 shot? I read some posts about people putting 100+ shots in turbo motors, but that makes me nervous. Im not looking for a ton of HP/TQ gain, but some would be nice.
            Easier but how much more $$ is it in the long run?
            Seriously, I wouldnt even know....how much does NOS cost to refill?
            How often do you refill?
            I hate NOS, and when I go turbo I'm going to have a big-ol-anti-NOS-vinyl-sticker on my quarter panel window.
            That should entice a few ricers at the stop light every now and then.
            http://www.vgpowered.com
            Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

do they make anti-nitrous stickers? hah. i want one...
              My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
              My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
              207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Hmm... so a 100 shot would be alright and wouldn't hurt the life of the engine much? Cool...

Comment

homestar wrote: just make sure that the floorpans are j-spec so that if the danger to manifold sensor comes on, you wont lose them if you push the nitrous button. The floorpan failure causes an adverse condition that requires you to replace the piston rings.
                  priceless :lol:

If you get nitrous, just be sure to pick up a rpm window switch, a wot switch, and cooler spark plugs. The weakest link with a 100 shot on your na will be the clutch, tranny, and potentially the rear.
                  2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Haha, I didnt see homestar's post before... That was good...

Would I be safer going with say... a 75 shot?

Comment

homestar wrote: just make sure that the floorpans are j-spec so that if the danger to manifold sensor comes on, you wont lose them if you push the nitrous button. The floorpan failure causes an adverse condition that requires you to replace the piston rings.
                      Yeah "Your lucky the 100 shot of NOS didnt blow the welds on the intake!" Yeah, the welds on your CAST intake. :roll:

Sp4rt4n- a 100 shot is just fine. everything on your car will hold it, assuming everything is sound. Tranny will hold rear end will hold. Clutch is the main problem.

If you run too lean you can jack up the pistons. But this goes for any kind of power adder. You could most likley run a 200 shot of nitrous and still be fine assuming you retard your timing accordingly, run a 7 range plug and run premium fuel. The motor will handle it.

Clutch clutch clutch.
                      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Now for the Nitrous people.

Trivia. Why is it such a concern for blowing up the intake while running nitrous? How would this happen? What is the solution?

Hint- somone allready mentioned the solution(or partial solution) in this thread.
                        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Comment

SATAN wrote: Clutch is the main problem.

If you run too lean you can jack up the pistons. But this goes for any kind of power adder. You could most likley run a 200 shot of nitrous and still be fine assuming you retard your timing accordingly, run a 7 range plug and run premium fuel. The motor will handle it.

Clutch clutch clutch.
                            Hmm... Would the clutch still be a problem if I ran a 75 shot?

Comment

LMFAO - Homestar had me for a minute -

Nitrous is fukin great and the Fast and the Furious refferences are beyond old but Homestar's was good.

So to the subject @ hand, The Stock VG is proven to handle a 150 shot with proper timing retard on the stock engine. Personally I wouldn't go higher then 100 on an interference engine.

Upgrade your fuel pump with a good ole walbro for 99 bucks, run colder NGK plugs, run the proper octane fuel and some kind of Timing retard device and your in buisness. I've never had the original 80's clutch so I don't know if it will hold but clutch upgrades aren't that expensive.

Z-daddy - NO offense but Nitrous and Ricers are hardly mutually exclusive bro. Some of the fastest gasoline drag cars in the world run nitrous in addition to boost for good reasons. NOS is a brand made by Holley and they make top quality gear IME!

NO offense to anyone but Why the funk woulnd't the stock Z rear hold a wimpy lil 100 shot??
                              Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X