Need tips to remove stock engine mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tips to remove stock engine mount

I have Jason's poly engine mount installed on driver side for a while now, but I never installed the passenger side because I stripped the bottom nut. I finally bought the "bolt-out" kit by craftsman, and it worked beautifully.

Now the mount is just stuck together with x-member & engine, it won't seperate like driver side...... :? I jack up engine from oil pan and the whole car is lifted on it, and I'm affraid to bang it too hard because now the weight is all on oil pan...... Any tips will really be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
    Matte Black 86T - Sold

Sometimes they are just really bitchy like that and stick really bad...I remember when we did one of my friend's passenger mount we were finaly able to assist it in ripping it out by making some cuts to the rubber part of it and yanking really hard...given we were pulling the engine so we just jacked the engine way up...not sure if that helps but it might be worth a shot.

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
    1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
    1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
    2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
    2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

Dude, don't jack it up from the oil pan. The pick up sits really close to the bottom. Jack from the were the bell housing meets the engine

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

you can use the oil pan . just put a piece of wood underneith it to spread out the load. you'll be just fine.

Comment

That is what I do. Infact the haynes manual suggests lifting the engine a bit by the oil pan when you remove your steering rack. (Just use a piece of wood like the other guy said)

Comment

I read that too, just rather not to it.

Now that I think about it, i was also taking the pan off at the same time so probably why i did it the way i did

Comment

simply86T wrote: I jack up engine from oil pan and the whole car is lifted on it, and I'm affraid to bang it too hard because now the weight is all on oil pan......
              Am I reading this right? ... The entire weight of the front of the car is being lifted by the engine mount that wont let go after the nut has been removed?

Back off the pressure. It may be binding up. Try some direct impact between the mount and the cross-member and engine bracket. Screwdriver between them to instigate some movement.

Careful but forceful persuasion. :wink:

Like I said though, get most of the pressure off of it first. You don't want to be dropping the front end suddenly when it does decide to let go. :shock:
              Just stand back and throw money.
              Performance costs money.
              Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

When i did that, i noticed the front of the car lifting up.

Then the engine mounts ripped in half :cry:

Out with the old, in with the new poly's.
                Attached Files

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: Am I reading this right? ... The entire weight of the front of the car is being lifted by the engine mount that wont let go after the nut has been removed?

Back off the pressure. It may be binding up. Try some direct impact between the mount and the cross-member and engine bracket. Screwdriver between them to instigate some movement.

Careful but forceful persuasion. :wink:

Like I said though, get most of the pressure off of it first. You don't want to be dropping the front end suddenly when it does decide to let go. :shock:
                  First I thought it's just the engine weight being lifted so the front end raised naturally. I kept pumping and then the driver side mount started to seperate and the tires were off the ground! I was like WTF? I lowered it after only hitting the mount a few times because I was affraid it will let go.

I think I will try putting the front end on stands so I can get under and make some good direct impacts like you said, while lifting engine at the same time. There should not be any danger doing it this way right?
                  Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

Working...
                  X