Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moved my chevy alternator to the passenger side.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moved my chevy alternator to the passenger side.

for you that don't know i run a chevy 100 amp one wire alternator.

in preperation for my turbo swap i moved my alternator to the otherside of the engine. it fit like a glove. now the driverside is all opened up for the turbo. i think i'll be doing a front mount. :wink: then when i upgrade for a larger turbo it'll be easy to hook up. :wink:

here some pictures. its winter and the engine is dirty. so shut up.

heres the stock alternator bracket with my conversion bracket welded to it.

heres the motor. i removed all the wiring from on top of the intake plenuim and hid it under the plenuim. it was pretty easy. now i can have my intake off in a matter of minutes.

the engine bay will be getting a fresh coat of paint when i pull the motor for the turbo. everything will be getting hotsy'd inside the engine and on the motor.

i still need to weld up my turbo manifold. there is a crack in it. it will eventually be replaced with a homebrew solution. after i buy my tig welder. :twisted:

Comment

Glad to see that it fit as I figured it would.

One question though. Why weld it to the mount? I kind of liked the double jointed initial adjustment on the bracket you made for me.
      Just stand back and throw money.
      Performance costs money.
      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Why the hell is there a pop off valve installed on that N/A motor?
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

there is a turbo going on soon. why not. :wink:

Comment

SATAN wrote: Why the hell is there a pop off valve installed on that N/A motor?
            +10 Hp... Duh :wink:

I like the 100 amp alternator. It is clean looking. What do you charge for your mount?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

i didn't want it to move ever. its temporary . i'm going to completly redo it and make it out of plate. after i pull the motor.

OR-Zman wrote: Glad to see that it fit as I figured it would.

One question though. Why weld it to the mount? I kind of liked the double jointed initial adjustment on the bracket you made for me.

Comment

i'm going to do something of a higher quality. i just didn't have the time. i already had half of it from the other side. so i welded it so it wouldn't move.

i'll make something with a better design and sell it. i need to figure out how much material i need. and then design a pattern.

it should be in a few months.

[quote]MrwassmanNA2T wrote:
                Originally posted by SATAN
                Why the hell is there a pop off valve installed on that N/A motor?
                +10 Hp... Duh :wink:

I like the 100 amp alternator. It is clean looking. What do you charge for your mount?

Comment

You might want to be a little cautious about running your wiring under the plenum like that. Assuming you have the a stock setup (no plenum spacer and original coolant lines) that plenum gets pretty hot. I know that when i tucked my wiring under the plenum like that i melted some shit pretty quick. However i did have the EGR hooked up, and the wiring running next to it... It looks to me like you have removed your EGR so maybe you will be alright. Just Use caution! They ran the wiring on the side of the plenum for a reason.
                  "produce first.talk second."

Comment

That won't work. Chevy alternator won't work with Nissan cars. You'll fry something.

:lol:

Heh that is pretty cool. It does fit right in there. As for the wiring, I don't see any reason to worry about that. The plenum doesn't get any hotter than most the other parts in the engine bay that harnesses run right next to. If they can't take the heat, you probably have other problems.
                    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

yeah, the egr tube melted my intercooler fan wire. Stuck on.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

the wiring under there is perfectly fine when it's an n/a. Once you go turbo though you'll have significantly higher plenum temps and underhood temps so be careful then.... in the meantime you're perfectly fine.
                        Funny stories!

Comment

good job on the relocation
                          throw me a quote on a bracket when you get to that point i'm using my parts car alternator for now
                          DD:
                          86 Black Turbo 5spd
                          The Fallen:
                          84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
                          Parting Currently:
                          86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
                          Garage Sale

Comment

if you can't see i don't have any emmisions parts. and no coolant lines on there anyway.

when i get the turbo on there will be an intercooler as well.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nifty. I would like to alternator test that and see if it performs as well or better than the 90 amp maxima alt. I tested a few alternators last year up at school and they always vary a lot from their ratings. One rated at 90 was 120 and one rated at 100 was just over 90.

How are you hooking up/regulating voltage from this 1 wire alternator?

Comment

Working...
                              X