I'm intercooled.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm intercooled.

finished my IC setup. I wanted to retain the AC. It clears the hood 100%. Both IC pipes clear the AC belt by something like one quarter of an inch, ouch.
    Cost(shipped):
    Treadstone IC 224$
    Generic ebay 2.5" aluminum pipe kit 138$
    two L-brackets from home depot 22$
    Two reducers 40$
    Reducer and pipe elbow from lowe's 10$
    434$
    Two and half days worth of labor I'd estimate. I work six hour days because I'm lazy. and the the labor is free of course. Lots of shortening of pipes, as they are plenty long. I only used four (edit: five. may also have to use a sixth pipe, a 45 degee next to the BOV.) out of eight pipes. For ground clearance on the under-routed pipe I made two cuts in the radiator's sheet metal 'scoop' and bent that part out of the way.

I also worked on a new cute issue today when I did the walbro fuel pump swap. One of the fuel tank brackets (the bolted one) would not stay on. Whoever messed with it last must've crossthreaded it because the threads are absolutely chewed up and the bolt can easily be shaken out. I've tried drilling it out to m12 and tapping, but my tools suck and the hole has not come out even enough. My next idea is to cut a hole next to the bracket hole, and sneak in a nut back there to have something decent to thread into. Blah.
    Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
    I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
    Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

My intake tempature is probably colder than yours, hehe. It's a whopping 7 degrees outside right now. The snow means my newfound boost is completely useless to me. I'll go have a donut in a parking lot later today.

The setup looks good btw. Maybe someday i'll do this. Not for many years though.
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

for the fuel pump, what about using a heli-coil from autozone? insert the coil into the hole and thread the bolt in, then tighten.

Comment

Looks pretty good, man. I'd like to see some pics of it with the front bumper cover installed. Did you weld any of the pipes together yet, or just silicone?

Not a bad deal to intercool a car. Screw that garbage greddy or HKS kit. What a ripoff. It's nice to see a Z31 owner taking matters into his own hands and getting good results.

Now you can start making power. Get a big turbo next, oh, and a T3/T4 is NOT a big turbo.
        86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

The polished piping really looks good, but it makes everything else look a little less good :-)

Not bad at all, and the price is down right DIRT cheap!

The real question is how does it feel? If you figured out how much it dropped the charge temperature you could guess at the HP increase (at the same manifold boost pressure) pretty easily...

Comment

Very nice!!!!! Plus you retained your air conditioning also!!!! Sometimes I wish I still had mine.......somtimes....

Very good job, watch that bottom pipe though. I was going to run mine the same way but I wouldve made contact on speed bumps and it made me nervous.
            Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: Looks pretty good, man. I'd like to see some pics of it with the front bumper cover installed. Did you weld any of the pipes together yet, or just silicone?

Not a bad deal to intercool a car. Screw that garbage greddy or HKS kit. What a ripoff. It's nice to see a Z31 owner taking matters into his own hands and getting good results.

Now you can start making power. Get a big turbo next, oh, and a T3/T4 is NOT a big turbo.
              Once I finish painting I'll have some more complete pics of the car 'together'. I didn't weld anything. I know how to weld (I suck) but I don't have a welder to play with (poor college student). I have a GT35 (journal bearing) installed in there right now. Thanks for the compliments.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: The polished piping really looks good, but it makes everything else look a little less good :-)

Not bad at all, and the price is down right DIRT cheap!

The real question is how does it feel? If you figured out how much it dropped the charge temperature you could guess at the HP increase (at the same manifold boost pressure) pretty easily...
                I still have to put the car back together and break the engine in. It'll be awhile before I know how it feels. I'm sure it'll be great.

Comment

where will you place your intake?
                  Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

I'm going to do the cobra head thing this weekend. I'm thinking the intake and maf will have to peak around from under the engine mount...

Lance

p.s. does anyone know where to find 3" 90 degree bend? i tried the local plumbing departments without much success

Comment

Working...
                    X