Synchronizing two wastegates...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchronizing two wastegates...

Say I have two identical turbos on my VG30, 3 cylinders per turbo. Both feed 3 cylinders and those three cylinders only. Both have internal wastegates with adjustable pressure. How do I make sure both wastegates are set the same?

Or do I just get two externals and one boost controller?
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Two EBCs set exactly the same?
    imagination is a virtue

Comment

use a tee in the wastegate output line from the mbc, you only need 1 boost reference unless you have seperate plenums too

same setup as one turbo, but with a tee

Comment

G-E wrote: use a tee in the wastegate output line from the mbc, you only need 1 boost reference unless you have seperate plenums too

Righto, also make sure the actuator on both turbos have the same spring tension. You are running a single TB intake, right? Because it goes 2 into 1 you would not need to connect between them between banks like a split setup with the Z32.

Comment

Both of you are correct. I would use a "Y" instead of a "T" though. The curvature and flow of air will be more gradual and may give you better response.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
            Originally posted by G-E
            use a tee in the wastegate output line from the mbc, you only need 1 boost reference unless you have seperate plenums too

Righto, also make sure the actuator on both turbos have the same spring tension. You are running a single TB intake, right? Because it goes 2 into 1 you would not need to connect between them between banks like a split setup with the Z32.
            I understand T-ing the lines to the boost controller... but the concern I have is the spring tension on the wastegates--surely there's a more precise way than counting threads?

Actually, I was trying to say that it was dual TB... but I never actually said "dual TB". my mistake, heh.

The Driver's side turbo feeds the Passenger side cylinders air, and the passenger side turbo feeds the driver's side air. That's what I've been thinking so far.
            BLOZ UP.com
            It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

I understood you just fine.
              "feed three cylinders and those three cylinders only"
              Like I said two EBCs would be most accurate in keeping even
              pressures in two separate plenums.
              That could get expensive though.
              I dont see how t-ing the signals into one controller could work
              because it would average two different pressures giving a false reading.

You could use two separate boost gages and balance with a
              good eye.
              A balancing tube to connect the plenums would be a nice safety
              feature.
              Attached Files
              imagination is a virtue

Comment

well the readings are absolute ,so its not like ots going to divide it into two or something ..

this is something very simple . i have never seen a car with two boost gauges ??? , because no matter how many turbos you are running , they all join forces when they get into the engine.... do you think the z32 tt's have two boost gauges???? an ebc t'ed off into both of the turbos would net you that presure you want .

Comment

z32's use two turbos feeding each bank of cylinders seperately.... BUT they have a cross over pipe that connects both sides just behind the throttle plates

the only reason you would need 2 boost references and two guages is if they were completely unconnected

Comment

I was talking with my friend today, and I jokingly said that I was going to have two gauges for boost... "Left Boost" and "Right Boost"

Now I'm determined to implement this, even if it ends up with a crossover tube or the like.

I was planning on having them unconnected, but it seems like it might be a bad idea.
                    BLOZ UP.com

Comment

why are you putting one tb per bank anyway? ,it would be alot simpler to have the tt air charges meet at the i/c and then go as one into a single tb intake mani...... but then i get guess it would be simpler to do a single turbo like stock.... so simple is not a factor...

i just got the latest issue of turbo magazine , theres a 240sx with an rb25 with two gt30r's strapped to it! :twisted: sooo hot!, what size turbo's are you going to go with?

Comment

2+2turbo wrote: why are you putting one tb per bank anyway? ,it would be alot simpler to have the tt air charges meet at the i/c and then go as one into a single tb intake mani...... but then i get guess it would be simpler to do a single turbo like stock.... so simple is not a factor...

i just got the latest issue of turbo magazine , theres a 240sx with an rb25 with two gt30r's strapped to it! :twisted: sooo hot!, what size turbo's are you going to go with?
                        Why? Because I can. The hardest part of this project is just the cost of parts, not the fabrication, which I do myself (or get one of my coworkers to do). So, the extra turbo and all the damned AN lines and stuff are going to have to be paid at what my shop can get them at, but all the labor and welding I do. So, I figure not why do something fun and interesting, since it's available cheap for me. What I'm trying to say is, where as I used to just pay someone else to do my stuff, I can do it myself so I should take advantage of it, even if it costs more, I'll get more for my money. That is, if I do it right. I also have no one to blame but myself when it BLOZ UP. heh.

I was thinking Disco Potatoes, or GT3071Rs w/.63 housings. I onl;y get a hundred or so off of these prices, though. And that's a lot of damned money for turbos....

These are more likely:
                        http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/garrettt28.html
                        http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/gat3su.html

Anyone know where I can get the abovementioned turbos w/o the internal gate?
                        BLOZ UP.com

Comment

i dont know where you can get the turbo without the internal wastegates , but i am sure you can weld them shut and weld on a v-band or find some t-3 turbine housings that wil bolt up to the certain center section you will end up using...... im sure somewhere on the net theres some type of catalog where you can check if you can get the turbos from garret with the housings you want already on them...

Comment

I don't know what power you're after and how much they could output, but what about designing it for a couple of low-mileage skyline turbos or even t28's from silvias?

although the gti-r uses a t28 on paper the housings are much smaller than the silvia t28's so I'd assume you'd have to figure out the goal and pick accordingly

last I saw some bnr33 turbos going for $500 or so for the pair

Comment

noice. I haven't really put a whole lot of thought into the turbo part, actually. But, I'm looking on hondatech for the 300whp people and what turbo they use. Although, most of them want 8 gazillion hp and put the biggest turbine on their little t2 housing, ugh...
                              BLOZ UP.com

Comment

Working...
                              X