X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this HKS Ignition do anything worth the price of admiss

ion....

Whaddup ya'll,

My experience with Ignition systems is that like performance spark plug wires, they're geneally allot of sales hype and lil if any gain(except in certain applications). Allot of my Nissan truck bretheren run the MSD Offroad igniton and I find it to be a total hairy waste of money.

The VG34E N/A build for my friends Hardbody is coming along very nicely and he'd like to squeeze every possible poney out of her.

I've heard allot of rumor mill talk about this HKS system. IME everything HKS makes is top shelf and like most Jap tuners insanely ovepriced. http://www.injectedperformance.com/View ... 857&VID=33

This truck is gonna be for serious offroad bashing. We're gonna try the NGK Iridium plugs. A real HP improvement would be nice(especially @ low RPM's) but I'm super cynical.

Any thoughts and prefferably experience is welcome.

EDIT - I guess I've got this in the wrong forum, sorry mods. Please move it.

TIA
    Ucked Fup!!!

you'll find it's been discussed how high-hp cars by that >400 generally turbo, such as z's and supras tend to eat plugs, they look ok but electrically they are toasted.... the iridium should help guard against that.... will a vg34e need them? doubt it

the only ignition systems worthwhile are the boost retard ones for inadequately tuned (ala safc) cars, or for nitrous use where you can benefit from yanked timing, I think we can ignore the exotic fuels question... otherwise? like you say probably means dick...

I would recommend a grounding kit or making your own, not so much because it makes power but it will make your alternator work less and also lessen the chance your stock ignition system won't keep up

Comment

Hey G-E- Thanks for chimming in brother. I'll get back to you. In the meantime WTF do you think about this expensive groudning system from Apex-I??http://www.injectedperformance.com/V...ct.aspx?ID=268

I know Stillen sells his grounding kits for $130 and even if they work that's allot of freaking money for some f'in wires.

I have no experience with Iridium plugs and like Satan I'm having a hard time finding solid information. I'm not worried about fouling plugs on an N/A VG34E but lots of plug life would be nice. They seem to be very popular with the 2JZ guys who's engines seem to burn plugs quite fast.
      Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

What! $130 for a grounding kit! C'mon man its just a bunch of wires and connectors. You could make your own kit for under 20 bucks and it would be just as good.

As far as the plugs go. the iridium plugs are known for long life. But how long is he going to neglect changing his plugs? In other words why does he need a long life plug on his off road vehicle. He should be paying attention to things like plugs very regularly.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

That grounding and voltage stabilizer setup is a waist.

As Satan said, you can get some good cable and fittings for $20-30 and the local Radio shack will have the voltage stabilizer for cheap if you think it is really needed. If you have a good alternator, battery and grounding you really shouldn't need one.
          Just stand back and throw money.
          Performance costs money.
          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Grounding kit is a good idea.

I am gonna make one that will go all over

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

grounding faq

you already have a 12v distribution block in the form of fusible links (which could be better but...) however no ground distribution block

you might think logically that the whole car is one big conductor but when it comes to dc power the shortest route will yield the least resistance, that's why for example nissan put the ground cable from the battery right next to the starter, the highest drain device on the car, and as you should know our starters are powerful and very reliable.... I drove a z31 parts car two blocks on a starter and battery (5spd) ;P

anyway just do the same thing, get heavy terminals from any industrial place and 4awg audio cable... crimp and solder a bunch of "patch cables" and bolt them to everything, here's a good list of places to ground

1. chassis near the headlights or at least the crossbrace
              2. engine
              3. plenum
              4. firewall
              5. driver's side frame rail
              6. run a long one to the trunk somewhere

and you can also setup a couple of mini distribution blocks/rings for connecting the harness to it... you'll find the engine harness has dinky 20awg ground wires poking out every few feet and bolted to stuff, better is to connect all of those to a major grounding point with a direct as possible route to the battery

Comment

I am definitely a fan of good grounding. And good wiring from the alternator to battery as well.

It is easy as pie really. Get some 4-0 gauge automotive grade wire and run the lines form the battery terminals to the block and the alternator as appropriate. The stock wiring isn't that great to begin with and it is 20+ years old now.

Beyond that you are pretty much stuck with stock wiring and grounding lines but you can help yourself by pulling the grounding lines, cleaning them up with a wire brush (and the mounting points) and reinstall them tightly.

Most stock grounding locations for the wiring harnesses are pretty good. It will be hard to improve on them without major rewiring.
                Just stand back and throw money.
                Performance costs money.
                Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

SATAN wrote: What! $130 for a grounding kit! C'mon man its just a bunch of wires and connectors. You could make your own kit for under 20 bucks and it would be just as good.

As far as the plugs go. the iridium plugs are known for long life. But how long is he going to neglect changing his plugs? In other words why does he need a long life plug on his off road vehicle. He should be paying attention to things like plugs very regularly.
                  Satan - Not everyone has the time or desire to be fucking with their engine all the time. He's like me, he's got money and wants the best but also doesn't wanna waste money. If the Iridium plugs last longer then hoorah, my local dudes will give me a big discount on those NGk plugs so we'll c.

Great stuff on the grounding guys. Thankyou to everyone that chimmed in. My time is valuable and I treat everone's the same.

So, no one knows anything about this overpriced ignition system????
                  Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

so what you're saying is you'd prefer to pay money to have something installed you may or may not notice, rather than pay much less and do a little more work and accomplish something we all agree is a good idea

Comment

G-E wrote: so what you're saying is you'd prefer to pay money to have something installed you may or may not notice, rather than pay much less and do a little more work and accomplish something we all agree is a good idea
                      Not @ all bro...I'm saying that I could have a Billion in the bank and I'm not gonna pay $120 for the Stillen grouding kit but I'd be more then happy to do a DIY. I will pay more money for NGK Iridium plugs if they last longer.

So I guess we're not gonna be discussing the Ignition system here. No worries.
                      Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

If you want info on HKS equipment try looking around a GTR, EVO or STI, etc.. forum. THose are the dudes with the big bucks with those type of mods. What ever info you find else where im sure you can apply to your Z

Comment

Working...
                        X