X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NA2T *Thoughts and concerns*

Picked her up 2 days ago...

A couple issues that ive run in to...

The cars been flawless, firehawk (Chuck) and his partner Brent did an excellent job with the entire conversion, they worked with me and understood that Iwas on a budget, since I was on a budget, they installed and troubleshooted many parts on the car for me, and didnt half ass not one single thing.

The car though has a little problem that absolutely no one can solve.
    On first start up whenever I crank up the car it runs perfect, it idles a little rough but doesn't seem to have any issues, even when you rev it up (out of gear under no engine load) it revs up what appears to be smooth and consistent and driveable sounding...

Now when you put the motor under any load, the engine bucks and stumbles and is barely drivable, Chuck Changed the Cap & Rotor, checked the crank angle sensor, changed out the plugs (NGK Coppers gapped .040 over), used that little tool (I forgot the name), checked ignition timing, and made sure all injectors are firing.
    Let me mind you Im running an 86NA Chassis & Wiring harness, 87 Turbo ECU, Dual/Side Feed injectors (they have been cleaned and flowed, and 87 o2 sensor.

We adjusted TPS, blocked off AIC, and looked everything over.

Everything looks fine, but the motor runs what seems to be ULTRA rich at low rpm (800-3000'ish rpms), it is NOT an issue related to the firing of the injectors (Sequential fire v. Batch fire), it runs like CRAP, for example if im driving from a stop, and engage the clutch, it will drive of course, but is running so rich it will barely accelerate, but as the rpms go up and the closer the needle goes to boost (on my boost gauge), the less it stumbles, and finally when im at the mid 3000 rpms, it clears up PERFECTLY and runs absolutely flawless. (Under boost it runs flawless)

This is NOT an issue related to plug gap, o2 sensor, or anything.
    heres the reason why...
    When disconnecting or connecting the o2 sensor, it runs the exact same.
    We tried an 84Turbo Automatic ECU to see if this is an ECU related issue, but the outcome came out to be the same, ran like crap.

Now every 2 hours or so, out of the blue, out of no where, not related to any specific RPM, something odd happens and it runs perfect, not ONE miss, not ONE jerk, EVERY engine RPM and EVERY engine load, throttle position, doesnt matter one bit, it runs absolutely like it should be running for a little over 30 seconds, and then after those 30 seconds it starts jerking and running like crap
    again.

Tonight I popped off the pins to the AFM (Air flow meter), and pulled it out (with the engine running), the engine was idling at the time, and as SOON as I pulled it out, the rpms went up about 200, and it idled seemlessly
    perfect!
    I revved the motor up a bit (of course it wont rev over 1500'ish rpms since the AFM is disconnected) and it revved up perfectly smooth, and it wasnt missing at idle or jerking plus the RPM's were consistent and rock solid.

I dont know what else to do...
    Ive ran out of ideas...
    No I havent tried a Diffrent AFM, but will tomorrow morning.
    Anyone have any insight?

Im so happy of this whole conversion, if I solve this tiny problem, the car will be rock solid.

*on the plus side, I layed in to boost a little bit, HOLY FUCK, I have NEVER in my life experienced acceleration like this, Even though its on bone stock boost, it feels like the most incredible thing ever, and I get attention like Ive never gotten attention before, its awesome! :lol:
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

you realize this is you 15th post where you tell us you need to do something to check but ask us to theorize anyway....

seriously I know you're anxious like a hungry 5-yr old on cocaine, but calm down, visit a massage parlour, find a hobby, etc....

like you say chuck did you right, and you have things to do, get to em and then get back to us

Comment

mmm why not change the afm now... my bets on that. if not try a diff ecu?
      Daily:
      09 2.5SL Altima Grey
      08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
      11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
      Z31s:
      88t Grey
      86t Pewter

Comment

1SIKZ31 wrote:

*on the plus side, I layed in to boost a little bit, HOLY FUCK, I have NEVER in my life experienced acceleration like this, Even though its on bone stock boost, it feels like the most incredible thing ever, and I get attention like Ive never gotten attention before, its awesome! :lol:
        i can feel you man, i have a stock zed with 3" intake 3" exaust, 8PSI of boost ,an 11bls flywheel. when i step on the gas at 2500rpm and you can hear the turbo spooling its the greatest sound ever. and the feeling of the whole car picking up and going, its the best. get a blow off valve too , you get tons of attention when it goes off.

oh and i had a similar problem like yours, 3 times it took me to get it right,even though i had everything lined up and i put in the distributor it still ran like shit,i later found out i was off by a tooth, and it runs pretty good since then. try checking the distributor.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

I am sure it is the afm. You have a spare, swap it.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

ITS FREAKING ALIVE!!!

MU HU HAHHAHAHAHAAH

AFM worked!
            I gained TONNSSSSS of torque and TONSSSS of more useable power and i can short shift again whoo hoo! :lol:

Comment

see what I mean... you really didn't need this thread

Comment

Gee who woulda thought that an engine likes to know how much air it's getting lol :P
                http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

on stock boost with open exhaust and cone filter, this car is THE most AMAZING car I have personally EVER driven, I cant BELIEVE how fast some of you guys are over here on Z31P, this car is phenominal, the acceleration is LITERALLY mind blowing, all my friends freaking LOVE it and are SUPER jealous.

Im SOOOOO happy that I gave up being with my girl if you know what I mean to drive the freaking car!!!

:shock:

Comment

dam i gotta finish my project so I can feel that kind of excitment again. Too bad its -1 degrees outside!

Comment

1SIKZ31 wrote: on stock boost with open exhaust and cone filter, this car is THE most AMAZING car I have personally EVER driven, I cant BELIEVE how fast some of you guys are over here on Z31P, this car is phenominal, the acceleration is LITERALLY mind blowing, all my friends freaking LOVE it and are SUPER jealous.

Im SOOOOO happy that I gave up being with my girl if you know what I mean to drive the freaking car!!!

:shock:
                      Hah. i hear you bro. Today i got into boost in 2nd gear and much to my surprise it got all kinda of loose (patchy wet pavement around here). I continue to be surprised at the power this car has. I rarely push it hard and almost never past 4 grand because I just don't need to any more to get the thrill. Eventually I'll get used to it and the clutch will be broke in and then it's off to the dragstrips i go.
                      My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                      My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                      207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

I told you a long time ago over aim it was the AFM. dope.
                        Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                        I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                        Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Yeah, as a note to the rest of you.

Running your car without an air filter, will result in the death of your MAF!
                          It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Working...
                          X