No announcement yet.

The alternative to Ball Bearing Turbos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The alternative to Ball Bearing Turbos?

I've got a friend that works at the Borg Warner plant in Ashville, NC. He was jiving about the new S200 and S300 series turbos with extended fins. After reading around it looks damn sweet...super quick spool, big HP potential and stainless steel housing. Best of all, no need for coolant lines.

Anyone here hear about them or use them before?
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

i'd like to see a psi vs rpm graph too, but it looks as if the integra got full boost in a range of only 2000rpms.

The efficiency of that compressor is pretty good. Nothing below 60% on the whole map. I'm also liking the huge 78% island of efficiency in the middle, extending from 18 to 38 lbs/min of air.
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

damn. nice turbo.

now, that i just got my T3 all together. :cry:

Comment

stainless sexy.... can't help but wonder how heavy the bastard is though

Comment

Can you get any data on the exhaust flow?

Comment

reliability and turbo life?

air cooled journal?

looks interesting but more info is needed!
            Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

Comment

Very nice

Stainless is some good shit

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Very nice

Stainless is some good shit
                But, its awful, terrible! evil stuff to machine though lol

That turbo looks really nice. Alot better than my flat black spray painted holset.
                Attached Files

Comment

its oil cooled.

no water cooling.

Comment

If memory serves me right, there was someone selling one of those B.W. turbos (I think the s200) about 2 or so months back, and a few people were saying that it wasn't that great becuase of B.W.'s reliability issues. Looks nice though, but for a price of 1,200 I could practically get a garrett gt30 or similar...
                    89' 300zx turbo AKA Smokin' Woody:

MGP Plenum, E-Fan, EBC (9.5 PSI), CM Downpipe, MSA turbo back exhaust, Poly Bushing Kit, TSS springs, Illuminas all around, 9" K&N Filter, Mustang Cobra rims with Falken 615's, Devil's Own Water/Methanol Injection kit, TurboXS-H BOV, Hurst Pistol Grip shifter.

Awaiting install; A/F ratio gauge, Lo-Tek 3 gauge Pod, Walbro 255lph, T3

Comment

here's a link for more info:

http://www.bullseyepower.com/s200turbos.php

I agree, you can get a GT35R turbo for the same price...but I've heard reliability issue with the bb turbos too.
                      2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

if you want the best of the best you'd go with the new turbonetics gt-k , the gt35r has proven itself to be a great turbo .

Comment

2+2turbo wrote: if you want the best of the best you'd go with the new turbonetics gt-k , the gt35r has proven itself to be a great turbo .
                          who says the GT-K turbo's are the best? I havn't heard anything about them since steve posted up that link to them. I still havent even heard if they are dual ball bearings or not yet. thier older B.B. turbos only have B.B.'s on the compressor side. The turbine side is still a journal bearning.

The Garret B.B. turbos are B.B. all the way. Also reliability issues are a concern only when you abuse your turbo's. If you do not have proper oil flow to them or from them or you do not have proper water lines to them or you do not let them cool down properly. Or you constantly opperate the turbo out of its intended range. Abuse is the #1 cause of professional turbo failure.
                          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

can you even rebuild a BB center section. i've heard if they die your have to get a whole new center section.

Comment

84z31 wrote: can you even rebuild a BB center section. i've heard if they die your have to get a whole new center section.
                              i heard you actually can ...

and SATAN if you read the article it explains how it has the ceramic bb (only on one side i think) and all of theother fancy shit like inconel turbine wheel and that F1 compressor wheel ,and that cool looking compressor housing thats powdercoated and shit . all in all they had to step it up to justify the price . i like them . and right now theyre probably the best setup turbos around ... can you justify one for your car? thats up to you and your power goals ...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X