Intercoolers, BOV's and Piping oh my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercoolers, BOV's and Piping oh my

What dimensions do you guys use for your intercooler?

how did you decide on piping?

What BOV did you use?

What did the final setup end up costing?

pics?
    Funny stories!

1. 24" x 12" x 3"

2. Thru both inner fender walls, how did I decide? When you get to a certain size intercooler you dont have much of a choice! lol

3. I went with GFB, which is a local company but whatever works really! Some people have had luck with ebay knock offs.

4. About $600US or so including the core and piping and other junk

5. http://www.300zxt.com/intercooler.installation.html (shes a bit dirty and beat up right now, ignore that!)
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

1. 28x9x2.75

2. thru inner fender walls. most efficient due to less bends.

3. Greddy Type-R knock off

4. about $350 for everything

[strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
      [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
      2000 Porsche Boxster
      2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

I dont have any pics. Their is only 3 bends in the whole system. 2 coming off the intercooler and one turning to the top of the turbo (hot side). We put the intercooler pipes between the headlight and radiator 3"inch IC piping it dosent rub the radiator or nuthin but the headlight has to stay a little open for b/c the hot side runs right under the headlight. You have to modify the headlight bracket a little buit also. Pullin the motor out to paint the bay and gonna put 2.5 ic piping back in and make the 4 inch holes in the body little smaller b/c it wont look to good with 2.5in piping and 4in holes. lol. And i think by doin this the headlight will close as normal also.
        89' Turbo-R.I.P. (scrapped)
        87' NA all parts swapped from 89', Stance, 3.3 long block, hx35w, Injector Dynamics 1000cc, isky cams, pathfinder intake, front mount, megasquirt v3.57 w/MS3X
        07 Frontier XE <----(turd) daily

Comment

1. Supra TT intercooler. Don't know the dimensions but its thick!

2. DMS piping kit, 2 1/4" aluminized steel mandrel bent. Routed over the radiator.

3. Greddy Type-S BOV.

4. $100 for the intercooler, $280 for piping kit, $80 for silcone 90 degree elbows to the intercooler, $150 for the BOV. Total: $610

Pic:
          Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
          1986 300zx Turbo
          2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
          1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

I think i MAY have everyone here beat on the low-cost alternative to intercooling

'85 Dodge Conquest I/C
            16.5x8x2.5
            118$ Shipped

2" PVC for piping
            30$

TurboXS Type-S
            26$ new (lol ebay sniping lol)
            I've had this since i went turbo, so i'm not including it in my final cost to intercool.

Minor aluminum welding @ local technical college
            Free

About 150$ to intercool the Z. (already had the BOV)

Comment

300zxt wrote: 1. 24" x 12" x 3"

2. Thru both inner fender walls, how did I decide? When you get to a certain size intercooler you dont have much of a choice! lol

3. I went with GFB, which is a local company but whatever works really! Some people have had luck with ebay knock offs.

4. About $600US or so including the core and piping and other junk

5. http://www.300zxt.com/intercooler.installation.html (shes a bit dirty and beat up right now, ignore that!)
              Does the intercooler pipe ever rub the front tires, when you turn the wheel? It looks very close to rubbing.

Comment

You're right it is CLOSE, but no it doesn't rub...

Comment

I bought an intercooler with inlet and outlets on the top to get away from having to cut into my car, becuase that's the last thing i want to do.

That does look really close. Im sure you haved the IC fastened fairly well so it doesn't shift if you had to corner quickly.

I love little projects like this.

Comment

JustinCase wrote: I think i MAY have everyone here beat on the low-cost alternative to intercooling

'85 Dodge Conquest I/C
                    16.5x8x2.5
                    118$ Shipped

2" PVC for piping
                    30$

TurboXS Type-S
                    26$ new (lol ebay sniping lol)
                    I've had this since i went turbo, so i'm not including it in my final cost to intercool.

Minor aluminum welding @ local technical college
                    Free

About 150$ to intercool the Z. (already had the BOV)

uhhhh wont those eventually melt going to the intercooler?

Edit...sorry I just saw your other thread. Nevermind
                    http://www.vgpowered.com
                    Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

JustinCase wrote: I bought an intercooler with inlet and outlets on the top to get away from having to cut into my car, becuase that's the last thing i want to do.

That does look really close. Im sure you haved the IC fastened fairly well so it doesn't shift if you had to corner quickly.

I love little projects like this.
                      Your IC is also very small compared to others, when you use larger intercoolers you cant route the piping that way and you pretty much have to go thru the inner fender walls... My IC is mounted just like anyone would do it, if someones setup moves around when turning corners that's very bad lol If it doesn't rub at full lock, which it doesn't, then it's never going to rub...

The good thing about going thru the inner fender is that you cant even see half of the piping, that pic was taken when the entire front end was off. You have to have the wheel fully locked one way to even see it... Going over the top like some people do looks like a damn water slide is under your hood lol

There's also far less sharp bends going thru the inner fender vs over the top of the radiator aswell... It's not such a big deal having holes there either, hell on R31 Skylines they have a hole on one side from the factory to accomidate the TMIC!

Comment

Still, there are larger intercoolers with same-side top ports. Not saying yours is a bad way of doing it, just saying i woudln't have chosen that route. But b all means it's not like it's not working.

Comment

Working...
                        X