thinking about a bigger turbo..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking about a bigger turbo..

i have a stage 3 wheel in a 63 ar housing with a to4e 54 trim compressor. a friend of mine has a stage 5 with a 60-1 on his dsm.. i cant let him have a bigger turbo than me. anyone here ever run a 62-1 with a stage 3 turbine? how about anything bigger on the stage 3 turbine? is that even possible? i dont know how parts interchange at that level.. do any T series compressors work with t3 turbines? id really really like over 60lbs/min in some form or another, and i THINK id like to keep the stage 3 turbine, but im open to anything.. if you have any comments, suggestions or experience, please leave some info.. thanks

here's some advice: bigger isn't always better.
    Funny stories!

Comment

My advice, Lose the stage three turbine. Its good for quick traffic stabs but other than that its just resriction.

All I'm gonna say is you guys are TOO hung up on your stage 3's its too small. Try somthing bigger. YOU WONT BE UPSET IF YOU DO
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

homestar wrote: here's some advice: bigger isn't always better.
        awwwwwww man....

12.88 @ 114 mph.. in a 91 maxima at 14 psi

Comment

Go to a stage 5 T67 (T04R). It'll provide a lot of power on the Z, but be too big for your friend to even think about getting. :wink:
          1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
          2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

SATAN wrote: All I'm gonna say is you guys are TOO hung up on your stage 3's its too small. Try somthing bigger. YOU WONT BE UPSET IF YOU DO
            I agree Z31 owners need to grow some balls and run some some real Turbos

Evil Z31 wrote:
            Go to a stage 5 T67 (T04R). It'll provide a lot of power on the Z, but be too big for your friend to even think about getting. :wink:
            A ran a T04R on my last setup:
            T3/TO4R
            TO4R Compressor, .70 A/R, 66.5 mm Inducer 75Lbs/Min
            T3 Turbine .63a/r, stg5 turbine wheel

It was a awesome turbo for our motors I hit full boost right around 4000RPM (21PSI) from then to redline it pulled like a freight train (see 120+MPH Traps) And this was on a pretty much stock motor.
            2005 whore magnet

Comment

^^^That's why I'm going with that turbo next. You can also get .83 turbine. My motor is getting built right now for it.
              1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
              2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

I am upgrading to a stage 5 from the stage 3 I was running. I think stg 3 is about all that's practical for a bored out stock housing. Pushing over 500hp worth of air through that little turbine is choking power substantially; the turbine is maxed well before the compressor is. I'll be able to estimate how much power was gained just from the turbine swap because the compressor specs are identical.

Personally I would sooner go with a P trim than the stage 5, but this turbo was all but free from my 87 so I'll take what I can get.

Generally they don't put the 62-1 with anything smaller than stage 5 turbines, because it's such a gross mismatch. Even stage 3 with a 60-1 is a bit of a mismatch if you take a look.
                Attached Files

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I am upgrading to a stage 5 from the stage 3 I was running. I think stg 3 is about all that's practical for a bored out stock housing. Pushing over 500hp worth of air through that little turbine is choking power substantially; the turbine is maxed well before the compressor is. I'll be able to estimate how much power was gained just from the turbine swap because the compressor specs are identical.

Personally I would sooner go with a P trim than the stage 5, but this turbo was all but free from my 87 so I'll take what I can get.

Generally they don't put the 62-1 with anything smaller than stage 5 turbines, because it's such a gross mismatch. Even stage 3 with a 60-1 is a bit of a mismatch if you take a look.
                  i have a 5 bolt style turbine housing.. actually i had a bored stock one but it cracked so bad that it actually rubbed the turbine and froze the turbo.. right now im leaning towards a 62-1 with a stage 5 turbine... i would like to keep the stage 3 turbine, but if i have to sacrifice some lag for more power i guess i have no choice.. can you get a P trim to fit in a t3 turbine housing? from what i understand its getting harder to find someone to bore a housing..
                  Attached Files

Comment

67mm turbo is the way to go. Full T4 T67 DBB. You can get a T67 with a T3 flange... with a .68 AR hot side it should work well. Get a .58ar hot side if you're worried about lag, but you won't be able to put as much timing into it (more exhaust restriction=less timing before detonation.
                    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

Chris86NA2T wrote: a friend of mine has a stage 5 with a 60-1 on his dsm.. i cant let him have a bigger turbo than me.
                      Don't worry, he drives a DSM - it'l break.
                      Attached Files

Comment

[quote]JustinCase wrote:
                        Originally posted by Chris86NA2T
                        a friend of mine has a stage 5 with a 60-1 on his dsm.. i cant let him have a bigger turbo than me.
                        Don't worry, he drives a DSM - it'l break.
                        how did you know.. its sitting in his driveway with a shredded tranny.. just before the tranny he started blowing oil.. looks like a valve stem seal was never put on properly.. the fucking thing is always broken.. i dont know much about them, i assumed his was just because of the age and the fact that he always does stupid shit.. do they really have that bad of a reputation? they seem like a nice car.. awd, reasonably cheap, easy to make fast.. if they break all the time then that blows..

Comment

Google crankwalk.

DSM's are notorious for being maintenance hogs. Whether it's because of shitty cars, or shitty drivers, I have no comment.
                          It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

There's '2g' around my town. Purple with a ridiculous intercooler visible in the cut-open factory bumper. Not so much rice as budget-functionality. They say he's fast and i have no reason to suspect otherwise, but he never goes to the track. hmm....

The guy also locked a center diff one day while racing with four different sized tires on the car. It's things like that that make me skeptical about the guy.
                            My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                            My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                            207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: The guy also locked a center diff one day while racing with four different sized tires on the car. It's things like that that make me skeptical about the guy.
                              waaahahahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X