• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garrett GT40 journal bearing vs. GT35R ball bearing

GT4082 Journal Bearing:

GT3582R Ball Bearing:

Discuss.
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Here's a bit more on the GT40. This is the GT4088 claimed up to 700hp.

This is one bad mo-fo. Comes factory with an anti-surge intake. 70+lbs/min of flow hottness.
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Is this going to be for your next setup (Built motor)?

I would sacrifice the broader powerband that can be had with the GT35R for thw larger frame GT4082 or 88. But thats just me. Plus the Journal Bearing GT40 will be cheaper that the 35R. If you do go with the GT40 I would definitly go with the 0.94 Hotside.
      2005 whore magnet

Comment

SteveZ31 wrote: Is this going to be for your next setup (Built motor)?
        Yes, but no built motor yet. I'm looking for 425-450rwhp on the stock block with some headroom for later growth (500rwhp). I suppose the GT40 may be overkill for my overall goals but the price, potential, and the visual impressivness is tough to let go.

That brings up a q: what's the weak link in the stock w-series motor?
        Attached Files
        2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Signal 12 wrote: That brings up a q: what's the weak link in the stock w-series motor?
          Piston Ring Lands for sure

Well if you only need a 500whp celing I would lean more toward the GT35R, or if you dont want to shell out the cash for BBs a T04R or GT3782.
          2005 whore magnet

Comment

[quote]SteveZ31 wrote:
            Originally posted by Signal 12
            That brings up a q: what's the weak link in the stock w-series motor?
            Piston Ring Lands for sure

Well if you only need a 500whp celing I would lean more toward the GT35R, or if you dont want to shell out the cash for BBs a T04R or GT3782.
            cool man, thanks for the input.
            2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

I ended up going with the GT35/40R. I wanted the area under the curve. On stock block you could save some money and get something else. Unless you are planning to build your motor in the near future so you can make the power levels those turbochargers are designed for.
              2006 TR/R GTO M6 18s Stock

1986 MB & S/B Z31 300ZX Turbo 5spd Not Stock

Comment

ive got a quick question while on the subject . what benefits do you guys see on using the 1.06 a/r turbine housing compared to the .86 a/r on the gt35r . i already know that you would have more lag whatever , but i want to know when you would see the pros (if any) of going with the bigger hotside on a generally stock engine . im kinda confused because i know this guy that runs the .86 on a sti and he has pretty decent spoolup and its a 2 liter so i want to know how it would react on a bigger engine like ours ...

Comment

The pro's to a large turbine housing are that you reduce back pressure. You can make 500hp with a lot of back pressure wich puts you closer to the detonation threshold or you run a bigger housing and get that same 500hp but the detonation threshold is further away now. Your engine will run cooler with less back pressure.
                  85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

hmm it sounds like im going with the 1.06 a/r then .

i wont even think about buying the gt35r for a couple of months , since im broke :cry: and already have other mods lined up to pay :twisted:

Comment

2+2turbo wrote: hmm it sounds like im going with the 1.06 a/r then .

i wont even think about buying the gt35r for a couple of months , since im broke :cry: and already have other mods lined up to pay :twisted:
                      :wink:

Comment

stage 5 exhaust whatever you do.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                        good thing....

Comment

autoworkZ wrote: stage 5 exhaust whatever you do.
                          Do they even do the old "stage" wheels in the newer GT turbo's? I didnt think they did that. :?

Comment

SATAN wrote: Do they even do the old "stage" wheels in the newer GT turbo's? I didnt think they did that. :?
                            They dont
                            2005 whore magnet

Comment

My vote would be for the GT35R. Good spoolup and good ultimate power. A friend of mine with a 2jz made about 300rwhp at roughly 9psi on a .82ar gt35r. I'm guessing it would be fully spooled by 4k? on a z31.

Comment

Working...
                              X