No announcement yet.

What happened to my Motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, I just cant get over the " I told you so's" Go look at the very first thing said in the very first reply of the other thread you started. Better yet here.

SATAN wrote - "You will probably blow it up tomorrow. J/K

The feel of the thrill will soon fade as you get used to the car. Maybe not soon but it will eventually.

You block will be fine as long as nothing is wore out too far on the block and as long as you are not a jack ass and ask too much from the system that is currently set up."

Again I'm sorry to rub this in man, cause it does suck to have to drop money like that but GOD DAMN SON!... Listen to the people who know what they are talking about. Quit trying to jump up to 10 psi so quick. Get the thing going and safe first! make sure it can handle the 10psi!
    Attached Files
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... =z31&hl=en

Heres a video of him, he's looks really funny.

His car looks really slow, and sounds like shit.

What's up with that rear suspension, Mr SikZ
      Attached Files

Comment

This is just too funny! This guy is kidding us all right? Nobody is this stupid!
        Attached Files
        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

give him some credit, lets call it ignorance?
          Daily:
          09 2.5SL Altima Grey
          08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
          11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
          Z31s:
          88t Grey
          86t Pewter

Comment

It's a little concerning really...

It's like "Dude, dont put your hand in the blender! It's gonna chomp your hand up!" And then the next day it's followed up by "Well I put my hand in the blender and it chomped up my hand, why did it do that?" lol

Comment

i'd say chalk it up to ignorance.

get another motor and get it tuned properly before blowing it up next time.

thats a pretty expensive mistake. ouch.

next time slow yourself down a little. atleast put an intercooler and read the book to set the timing.

hopefully you can save yourself some money and install the motor yourself.

Comment

Poor 86 slicktop
                Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
                1986 300zx Turbo
                2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
                1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

1NotSoSikZ

Comment

Guys...Im not going to delete any posts here, but I think the point here has been made.

isicz31- sorry to hear about this but you really have no excuse here. All the knowledge and info has been available to you for quite some time now and more specifically VERY recently. :shock:

Edit- some of my post deleted after further consideration
                    Just stand back and throw money.
                    Performance costs money.
                    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Well, nobody here is threatening him or anything bad like that. They are just calling him a dumbass for not heeding warnings.

I dont see any reason why the thread should be locked or post's be deleted. There has been nothing inappropriate posted and is all on topic.

I know you said you werent gonna delete any but just thought I would voice my oppinion in case it goes up for review :lol:

You cant make a mistake like that in the car world after everyone tells you to be careful and not expect flack from the "told you so" crowd.

Hopefully he will learn. Embarassment just helps one to learn faster.
                      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

^ Easy turbo master :wink:

I didn't intend anything in that post to be taken as a threat of any sorts. :?

Like I said, I'm not deleting or locking anything. Actually this whole thing should probably become a warning sticky with a big sign that says....Learn from those that know!!! Especially after you ask questions :!: :evil:

At this point 1sikZ31 has to decide how he wants to live his Z31 life. Pretty simple really. Either learn from the info available or not.
                        Just stand back and throw money.
                        Performance costs money.
                        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

I understood all the warnings, and precautions, and understand I am not intercooled, I also understand what happens when charge temperatures do get higher and higher.
                          I understand it all.

The thing is... I wouldnt EVER think getting in to boost for a measly 15 seconds MAYBE 20 seconds would cause destruction like it did.
                          You guys have to at least understand I did a STOCK turbo conversion, The ONLy diffrence being a cone filter and NO exhaust. You cant "tune" a stock computer, the only thing you can do really is change plug gap (had been set), set ignition timing (had been set, possibly a little high but not enough I wouldnt think to melt a freaking piston!), run diffrent octane fuel, those are really the main things.

I wasnt going to shoot for 10PSI instantly, Firehawk was going to put it on a wideband and see how it behaved BEFORE we upped the boost pressure, and set it accordingly.

I personally dont think I did anything wrong, I just did a TINY 4th to 5th gear pull, I wasnt being an ass (though Im going to fast for the tires I have) I even shortshifted 4th gear to be a little safe. I had NO exhaust and still have no exhaust so its not like I heard detonation.

And the most important thing I AM getting great advice from you all, whether it be posting or reading, but I dont recall reading anything ANYWHERE about how long of time in a "ball park range" I would be able to stay in to boost, nor what cool down periods should be, or anything like that...
                          I cant find a single topic talking about that.

Im getting a new shortblock rebuilt from him, and along a inspected set of heads, hefty price I have to pay, but it will be well worth it.

you live you learn,
                          1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
                          ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
                          1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Comment

Firstly you CAN tune the stock computer, and secondly do you even know what detonation sounds like? I'm guessing not...

I personally dont think I did anything wrong, I just did a TINY 4th to 5th gear pull, I wasnt being an ass (though Im going to fast for the tires I have) I
                            Oh man! :roll:

I understood all the warnings, and precautions, and understand I am not intercooled, I also understand what happens when charge temperatures do get higher and higher.
                            I understand it all.
                            I dont think you understand anything to be honest, heed the advice of others and do your homework before you go playing with things that you dont fully understand. It's not just charge temps you have to worry about, more boost requires more fuel and not enough fuel = bad! Is your fuel system up to scratch? Fuel pressure in spec? Injectors flowing in spec? And so on... And I'm guessing that you dont have an oil cooler yet either, had you read Jasons' turbo faq fully you'd see the section regarding prolonged periods of boost and oil temperatures.

You probably overheated your oil, ran extremely lean, detonated to hell and god knows what else. Going by that video your car never sounded all that healthy to begin with lol

Just to reiterate exactly what you did, as it seems to have changed in your mind.

1SIKZ31 wrote: Stayed in boost for 30-40 seconds (on stock boost).
                            Around 5000'ish rpms in 5th gear engine started hesistating and making a sound, but I kept in it (un-experienced for hearing detonation) and continued until speed limiter (fuel cut).
                            You got a bit too excited which is understandle being the first time you've driven a turbocharged car but like the old saying, learn how to walk before you run otherwise you'll do the exact same thing to your new engine and the next 5 engines after that.

Comment

So I told him over aim quite simply that if he wants to push his car like that he needs to get intercooled or get race gas. Hopefully the point sticks.
                              Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                              I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                              Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Don't get delete happy, this shit is golden.

Primo Entertainment if you ask me.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X