What happened to my Motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

-Was running Synthetic oil so that oil overheating and breakdown would take longer than conventional oil.
      -Car sounds like shit in that video with me in it because AFM was all fucked up, thats why it sounded like a v8 with a cam, it wasnt even driveable, changed it out and its crystal smooth now.
      -When I said stock computer is not programmable I meant bone stock, not romulator.
      -Injectors have been cleaned by firehawk etc etc...
      -When I said boosted for 30-40 seconds it was more like 15, I exagerated the crap out of it.

-If you notice at the end of the speedo video the engine shut off byitself, RIGHT when that happened I put the camera down and started it up again so that oil continues flowing to the turbo so I dont cook it in there because Im pretty sure it would cook instantly considering how hot the turbine is after that run.
      1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
      ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
      1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Comment

Comment

Why 22*? Did you experiment with any other timming settings?
          imagination is a virtue

Comment

craZed wrote: Why 22*? Did you experiment with any other timming settings?
            I didnt set or know timing, firehawk set it for me.

He runs 25* to 27* timing on his 9:1 Motor with 10 pounds of boost and lays in to boost for EXTENDED periods of time WITHOUT an intercooler.

Im running almost HALF his set up, 22*, STOCK boost, and short period of time and still managed to fry it.

War on flesh: I really appreciate you and others are trying to help me and I KNOW I need supporting mods, but still no one has explained why such a low and stock setting would cause catastrophic failure in the motor, If another extremely knowelegable person (firehawk) can run almost twice the settings I have with stock everything, then why couldnt I? It just doesnt make ANY sense. :?

Comment

Your car sounds like a worked over Peterbilt
              Face it your car is maddd old and neglected and you are trying to push it like its a brand new fully tuned Top Secret R34.
              As your friend would say.. "Did you get into boust"

Comment

[quote]WarOnFlesh wrote:
                Originally posted by Neil86t
                Poor 86 slicktop
                All this time and I never even noticed his car was a slicktop! BOOOO
                You should have seen it when he first bought it. I cried a lil inside
                Attached Files
                Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
                1986 300zx Turbo
                2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
                1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

The Fact of the Matter Is

In my opinion, the answer to your question "What went wrong?" is that this whole project has been too easy for you.
                  Easy come, easy go.

When I look back 3 years ago when I first got my Z and imagine if I had the $$ to pay someone else to do everything for me
                  and have my NA turbo'ed, I think I would have done the SAME as you. I too would have blown it up!

I was inexperience, cocky, and ignorant. Over time
                  I believe I have lost a lot of that through my blood sweat and tears from working on the Z. I've gained many mentors
                  over the 3 years I've owned my Z, and I have the utmost respect for their opinion and the knowledge they give me.
                  They've been by my side at times I needed to do something major to my Z. And the blood, the sweat and every busted knuckle
                  I've had has slowly instilled a sense of humbleness when it comes to what I'm trying to do. You my friend have non of that yet.
                  It's not your fault, but you got too much in too little time with little to no effort.

So what blew up your motor? Sheer ignorance, inexperience, and cockiness.
                  How can we change that? I dont know...you cant just tell someone to be humble.
                  http://www.vgpowered.com
                  Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

1SIKZ31 wrote: -Was running Synthetic oil so that oil overheating and breakdown would take longer than conventional oil.
                      -Car sounds like shit in that video with me in it because AFM was all fucked up, thats why it sounded like a v8 with a cam, it wasnt even driveable, changed it out and its crystal smooth now.
                      -When I said stock computer is not programmable I meant bone stock, not romulator.
                      -Injectors have been cleaned by firehawk etc etc...
                      -When I said boosted for 30-40 seconds it was more like 15, I exagerated the crap out of it.

-If you notice at the end of the speedo video the engine shut off byitself, RIGHT when that happened I put the camera down and started it up again so that oil continues flowing to the turbo so I dont cook it in there because Im pretty sure it would cook instantly considering how hot the turbine is after that run.
                      This is just too much, if you still dont know why your engine did that after all of this then I believe that all hope for you is lost...

The fact that you hit the fuel cut off and had your engine making bad sounds at 5,000rpms but you still "kept on it" certainly contradicts your statement of only running boost for 15 seconds. At stock boost it would take longer than 15 seconds to get to that speed, and to keep going when you hear noises coming from the engine like that is just foolish...

I've got an idea for you, how about a Turbo > NA conversion? lol
                      Attached Files
                      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

zmech wrote: Basically you answered your own question in your original post. 200,000+ miles on the engine and you wanted it to perform miracles on boost with 22 degrees timing on an ecu that is supposed to be 15 degrees. You have NO idea what your AFRs are, and God only knows what that engine has been through prior. You could have at least been nice to the engine and freshed it up prior to trying to boosting it with crazy timing. And that was not a TINY 4th to 5 pull. You were redlining with boost on a worn out na engine. I run my 3.3 na with turbo at Willow Springs raceway boosting all the time. I can kill a gallon of water/alcohol with the water injection in less than 20 minutes. There is no limit to the time you can boost as long as you are set up to do so. THAT is why no one can answer how much time you can boost.
                        I learned my lesson.
                        Next time ill be alot more careful.
                        Im shelling out $1700 for a new rebuilt short block with inspected heads.
                        EXPENSIVE mistake, and this time around mommy isnt here to help me.
                        Timing will be less aggressive and boost will be kept to a minimum.

Update: Engine eats 1 QUART of oil EVERY 50-70 miles, still ran strong like it has always, no power loss, just smokes upon WOT and eats oil like gasoline! ops:

Comment

Wow... I would have just gotten a junk yard engine.

Comment

Zdaddy wrote: In my opinion, the answer to your question "What went wrong?" is that this whole project has been too easy for you.
                            Easy come, easy go....*snip* when I first got my Z and imagine if I had the $$ to pay someone else to do everything for me
                            and have my NA turbo'ed, I think I would have done the SAME as you. I too would have blown it up!
                            1SIKZ31 wrote:

Im shelling out $1700
                            for a new rebuilt short block with inspected heads.
                            EXPENSIVE mistake, and this time around mommy isnt here to help me.
                            Timing will be less aggressive and boost will be kept to a minimum.
                            See what I mean? EASY COME EASY GO!
                            http://www.vgpowered.com
                            Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

just put an intercooler, fpr, and injectors on there and run 10-15.

just get a junkyard motor with good compression. most of the time you can find a hell of a deal.

i bought a supra motor with less then 80,000 on it for $300. ran perfect. and i abused the hell out of it. no issues. just replace the gaskets if it has been sitting awhile.

there must be atleast 20 VG30's in my fiends boneyard. if you need one. i can get one and have it shipped for well under $1700.

your choice.

Comment

oh, and a fuel pump.

Comment

Working...
                                X