ic piping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ic piping

where is the best place to get mandrel bent 2.5" piping,ive tryed summit racing but its exspensive for the amount of piping they give you
    87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

ebay , my friend bought some piping from ebay

Comment

Werd. They have polished aluminum that looks better.
      1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
      2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

A decent local shop.... :shock:

Here is one thing I just never understood about this whole IC/ Intake/ Exhaust custom piping matter:

If you cant custom bend and cut/weld the parts yourself then why don't you find a local custom exhaust shop (or performance auto shops) and walk in with the car or a mock up of what you want?

Several guys have built virtual works of art with their IC piping but not everyone has the skill or equipment to do so. For everyone else there just isn't a lot of options.

btw- did the Ellis Auto works IC setup ever get off the ground? Hopefully it did, I just don't remember how it ended up.

What I mean by "mock up". If you cant bring the car to the shop for them to mock it up and measure off of then:

Use some long pieces of stiff wire. I have used brazing rods several times. Cut and bend the wire to length and bend assuming that you are center line of your intended piping.

When in doubt...leave the straight ends long. You can cut them later. On an intake you can get some forgiveness with a couple vynil/urethane fittings.

The bent wire method works best with 2 sets of hands. Also you have to create marking points. These can be simple ink markings for position or in some locations you may need to create a temporary fixture to hold your marking position. (use your imagination) But, Ive done several projects using this method by myself. (Z31, Mazda 4x4, Ford F350, Chevy Malibu, Peterbilt truck, CAT Backhoe (x2), ?? Kubota tractor, ?? Massey Ferguson swather...you get the idea... :wink: )

btw- this method also works for fixed hydraulic lines.
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

How much do the bends cost from summit racing?

There is a auto parts store by me that sells U-bends made from aluminized steel, stainless and mild...The mild steel only costs 20$cdn per 2-1/4" U bend. Then you can at least weld the pipes together and elliminate couplers. I was always under the impression the more couples you had the more prone to leaks your car was. Hense why I never spent 150 on ebay kits.
          Granted you can weld aluminum of course... Just most people, me included can't.

Comment

I priced out the cost of aluminum pipe, bends and supplies when I did my intake. Then I priced out the cost of buying some precut polished aluminum pipe, silicon connectors and T-clamps.

At the end of the day I probably spend a bit more on the Vibrant stuff but not much and the install was much easier.

I actually like the added color from the connectors and assembly/disassembly or slight position adjustments is easy as pie. You don't get that with welded pipes.

WWW below for a couple pics.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/i ... 56d564148a

I bought my stuff from a local speed shop but you can find dealers from their site.

One thing I liked is that the silicon coupler pieces are very long intentionally. It gives you the ability to cut them to your needs and lengths.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

I just felt like adding this because I got sick of the cost of silicone couplers.

There is a company around me called greggs distributors. They're like.... a handy mans dream! They have everything, anything from basement sump pumps to weird electrical components to performance shocks for cars.

I spent 70$ on silicone reducers for my set up and ...it made me sick, those were two couplers! So I phoned these guys, and they sell silicone tubing. Its reinforced silicone plumbing...exactly like the "turbo" couplers you buy off ebay or auto stores. except, for 3 feet of this stuff(in any size)..it only costs 50-ish-cdn. I fortunately got some for free.
              But I just thought I would mention that. You can ghetto your IC couplers for way cheap if you want too.
              I'm drunk and feeling like I want to share.

Comment

hahaha thats coo man thanks for sharin and thanks for lettin me know i aint the only alchy on this site, i just finished a 40 and downed a 24 of the good ol mickeys hahaha peace man 8)

Comment

I've had a mandrel setup that I pieced from JCWhitney piping on my other car for years, and recently bought Vibrant piping to replace it. The weight savings is huge. Not to mention it looks a hell of a lot better.

99% of local shops not only can't do mandrel bends, but don't sell it, nor can they weld aluminum as thin as the Vibrant piping.
                  The only shops that can do that are "specialty" shops, and they know it. so they will charge you a lot.
                  1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
                  2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

we make couplers (for pressurized (turbo) lines) here in México from a hose that is used in Caterpillar radiators, its megareinforced, easy to cut, and it handles about 250 psi, it's called CHARTER HOSE here, dont know if that's a brand or a hose style, but is great and kinda cheap.

Charter hose

99 turbo maxima
                    1987 300zx, VG33, Manual, Megasquirt, 450cc, T04,Tial 44mm External WG, ebay IC, crushed dsm blowoff, Apexi AVC-R at 15psi, efan, 3" exhaust with dynomax muffler, LSD.

Comment

Do what i did: Mock-up in PVC

Bought aluminum off ebay.

Comment

how does it look with new aluminum piping now justin

Comment

It would probably look better than it is now.

I'm keeping it PVC. I'm having my I/C welded on (thus the need for aluminum) as well as some short aluminum pieces for my bov.

Trying something different.

Comment

ya because you did a good job mockin up those pvc pipes you smart bastard hahahaha if you paint them silver they would almost look aluminum

Comment

My original plan was to keep the PVC. The problem was heat around the turbo but i've been working on that so i don't think it's going to be a problem.

I do need a 2.25-1.5" heat resistant reducer though, that's one thing i don't have yet.

Just spent 70$ on silicone couplings...hopefully i'll be ready to go to the dragstip on the 18th.

Comment

Working...
                              X