Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade Stock Turbocharger for .63A/R Turbine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Stock Turbocharger for .63A/R Turbine?

Got the car back, we found out my old T3 blew (same time motor blew I assuming for some reason, possibly lack of oil) so I went to a yard and found a 87 Turbo with a 30A and Open Diff and a T3. Pulled the T3, it had TONS of shaft play, like 1/8th of an inch, but not enough to strike the housing and lock up.

Now it had absolutely not a drop of oil in the turbine or the compressor wheel or around the housings, so I assumed this would work for now. Put it in, holy smoke batman! Seals are gone!

Now I found a local guy selling a Nissan 300zx Turbo T3, upgraded .62 A/R Turbine (stock compressor), ported elbow, polished compressor housing with all the lettering "ground off", and its an 85 Turbo. I havent seen it in person but he sent me pictures, I dont know if this is a good buy or not?

Its been rebuilt and has 2500 miles on it with EXTREMELY little to no shaft play.
    Car was wrecked hense the reason hes selling it.

What should I offer him?

I can either get this and slap it in, or rebuild my OEM T3.

:shock:
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

get yours rebuilt. it easy, and probably cheaper then the one the guy will sell you.

i could have had mine done in less then a week, but the compressor housing was screwed. i had to replace it.

Comment

DO NOT REBUILD YOUR OWN TURBO! no offence but I'm sure everyone will agree with me that this is somthing that is over your head.

As far as buying the other turbo, its still just a stock turbo for the most part and I wouldnt pay more than $150 or $200 at the very very most IF it was in good shape.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

send it to me. i'll rebuild it. and it'll be balanced.

i have a sandblaster and all the equipment at my disposal.

Comment

Why not rebuild it? It was pretty easy.

Comment

OrionMCP wrote: Why not rebuild it? It was pretty easy.
            You must not have read some of this guys other threads.
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

with the .63 A/R turbine and .42 (stock) compressor.

with the stock waste gate, and stock boost, with this larger turbine, am I going to see the same amount of boost, or lower/higher?

How much more turbo lag will I have compared to a stock T3?
              1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
              ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
              1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Comment

Working...
              X