• oil cooler and remote oil filter

When you hook up an oil cooler,do you go from
    Block--->oil cooler--->remote filter-->-block or
    Block--->Remote filter--->oil cooler--->block
    Shiro #443

Rick88ss wrote:
    Block--->Remote filter--->oil cooler--->block

Comment

Does anybody know if the stock oil cooler "sandwich" adaptor is thermostatically controlled?

Comment

thermostatically controlled?? what does that mean? and no i dont think it is
        http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

there's no thermostats, it just routes the oil to the cooler and back

Comment

I've heard it is best to get one that is thermostatically controlled... goes on the same basis of taking the thermostat out of the path to the radiator (bad because it can cool *too* much and leave the engine out of op temp). I don't really believe it will cool THAT much, anyone else have any input on this?
            Daily:
            09 2.5SL Altima Grey
            08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
            11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
            Z31s:
            88t Grey
            86t Pewter

Comment

utjon wrote: I've heard it is best to get one that is thermostatically controlled... goes on the same basis of taking the thermostat out of the path to the radiator (bad because it can cool *too* much and leave the engine out of op temp). I don't really believe it will cool THAT much, anyone else have any input on this?
              Yes, thermostatically controlled is best, especially with large coolers. Oil temps should be higher than coolant.
              Chuck Stong
              300+ Parts and Performance owner
              http://www.300-plus.com
              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

utjon wrote: I've heard it is best to get one that is thermostatically controlled... goes on the same basis of taking the thermostat out of the path to the radiator (bad because it can cool *too* much and leave the engine out of op temp). I don't really believe it will cool THAT much, anyone else have any input on this?
                It'd be bretty damn easy to overchill your oil round here. High tomorrow is 5f. I can see the usefullness of a thermostat. Wish i had the money for a cooler right now. I don't think the ss i bought had one on it oddly... (previous owner did odd things)
                My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: I don't think the ss i bought had one on it oddly... (previous owner did odd things)
                  i thought they only were spec on automatic equipped models..

Comment

turbo auto only pretty sure.
                    Daily:
                    09 2.5SL Altima Grey
                    08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
                    11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
                    Z31s:
                    88t Grey
                    86t Pewter

Comment

OH that would explain it. Thank you. I'm sure I've read that before, somewhere and forgot.
                      My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                      My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                      207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Most remote filter locators are thermostatically controlled, it is built in on the greddy/grex one I have.
                        Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                        Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                        Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

Az4u2c wrote:
                          It'd be bretty damn easy to overchill your oil round here. High tomorrow is 5f. I can see the usefullness of a thermostat. Wish i had the money for a cooler right now. I don't think the ss i bought had one on it oddly... (previous owner did odd things)
                          LOL, down here it be damned hard to do that! Although this has been the first month in years I didn't have to run the house airconditioner. I don't think I've ever run a heater :roll:
                          Its all fun till you hit the doggie and do an endo into the wall.

One willing to take his own life into his hands,
                          Will not hesitate to take the lives of others.

Comment

Re:

I'd like to have relocation unit hence i have good stock oil cooler in use.

Racinjitter wrote: Most remote filter locators are thermostatically controlled, it is built in on the greddy/grex one I have.

You have this?
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=350073673586
                            Pretty expencive setup and using crappy 'Earl's Fittings' looking clamps

I was thinking something in this price range.
                            http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...35673310559506
                            Any idea are those GOOD guality?
                            This just worries me " 1/2" NPT
                            inlet and outlet (accepts all 3/4-16 spin-on oil filters)"
                            Jukka Kivinen - Europe / Finland - '88 Turbo 2+2 Targa
                            Datsun Nissan Sports Cars of Finland
                            http://www.z31turbo.com / http://www.z31na.com

Comment

Re: Re:

Kennedy wrote: I was thinking something in this price range.
                              http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...35673310559506
                              Any idea are those GOOD guality?
                              This just worries me " 1/2" NPT
                              inlet and outlet (accepts all 3/4-16 spin-on oil filters)"
                              I am going to buy this kit as well, and so you know the 3/4-16 is the same size filter we use stock, so no worries, although I dont understand whats wrong with the npt fittings? Let me know..so I dont buy this and have something bad/wrong happen.

Also what do you think about Trans Dapts dual oil filter relocation? I was thinking on picking it up as more oil never hurt, plus it'll act as a small cooler because of the added filter...IDk let me know what you guys think about dual filters?

Comment

Working...
                              X